Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default I met with a Registered Dietician today.

The dietician was helpful. The first thing she asked was for me to tell my food story/history to her - which I did. (really long and winding road...as we all have had.)

I said I was feeling like I could never get this food stuff under control.She said that it's never too late and never impossible.

She wants me to eat 1400-1500 calories a day. NO less than 1200. That sounds OK. She said I wasn't eating enough fruit - whole grains. She said I should only lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week. Doesn't sound like enough to me. But.. I just need to get back on track with healthy food.

She helped me arrange my daily food choices in a healthier way. Her thinking was that I was not eating enough food during the day... especially at breakfast. Her thought is a bigger breakfast sets a person up for a good food day. Eating my small breakfasts is setting myself up for being anxious (and hungry) about when to eat and what to eat... also, maybe one reason I was overeating in the evening. Her theory is to eat every few hours. Healthy proteins, healthy carbs, healthy dairy etc. and lots of veggies. We decided that I am very knowledgable about healthy foods and could probably teach a class in nutrition. This is probably true. But, I just can't live in a sane manner with food very it easily.

She thought that my exchange way of keeping track of foods was a good idea. She changed a few things about how amounts are counted.

I told her that it's been 50 of my 60 years I've had to deal with an unhealthy realationship with food. I am weary of dealing with it all. Then, she said one thing that really made me stop and think. That obesity is a disease. ( like diabetes, gallstones, chrones disease, chronic headaches, a bad rash etc) True, obesity is a diagnosis. One of the cures/medicines/healing parts of obesity is food. The right food will help to cure the obesity - and all the problems that go with it. (unhealthy labwork, difficulty exericising, etc) That eating healthfully is just like a regimen that a person with a different diagnosis would have to do to get well. She said.. that if a person breaks their arm there are certain things to be done to get better. It's the same as obesity. Of course, I know that - but, never looked at it quite from that perspective.

She was intrigued with Dr. Beck's Diet Solution book and how it helps give a person a real structured way to get through the hard/challenging times with food. She had heard of it now wants to check it out. It's always been helpful to me when I have been willing to use it. Lately, not at all.

I came home with lots of information and a food diary to keep. I kind of do keep track now, anyway - when I am on track. I'll go back and see her in a month.

I was hoping for a 'magic wand' - but, of course, that's in one of my fairytales. She's not a psychologist and can only help set up my food in a healthy way for me to eat during the day.

I think what she suggests is a little bit of a different approach with food.. so I'll move forward and plan my food for a healthy day.

She said I could make a list of reasons... a long list or short list of reasons why I need to eat my healthfully. After each reason... she said to ask myself 'why' - to extend that thinking, if possible. She said it's OK to have 2 reasons or 102 reasons - whatever feels right.

She is very glad I have friends and sites on the internet to get support. Support is essential and helpful. But, we know that, don't we?!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #2  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

I love my dietician.
If you are lucky enough to get a great one, they can be great support and a huge help.
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Good for you! I see a dietician as well and she's great!
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am glad that it went well. It sounds like you have found someone that you can work with. Her suggestions sound sensible and I think that you are right to give it a try.

It is really interesting to hear that she thinks you should be losing 1/2 to 1 pound a week. That makes me feel better about my rate of loss right now.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like you found a wonderful resource.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #6  
Becoming A Better Me

ive been going to a healthy eating class since july n she is such a help to me! im so glad i decided to go n glad u found 1 u can work with.
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I appreciate this positive feedback. She was very kind and informative. Sometimes, it's good to hear the point of view from someone, face to face. I am hoping for the best.

Thanks again.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote