Default Diet Shakes

Special K? Slim Fast? Something Else?

Love Them or Hate Them?
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #2  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

I'm currently trying out a bodybuilder's fat loss protein shake (Scittec New Form). It has L-carnitine and taurine inside, that in combination are supposed to speed up fatburn; also it promises to lower my appetite (which might be true, because I feel full constantly since starting taking it 3 days ago); and it tastes good but is very low in sugars/carbs. I picked chocolate variety, because they didn't have vanilla in the shop and strawberry sounded a bit more chemical.

Once, many years ago I fell to the "Diet Shake" death trap and had a meal replacement shake of this powder that promised to fix everything. I failed to notice that it was 55% carbs and 30% protein, with most carbs coming from sugar. Needless to say, I gained weight while on it, the sugar overdose actually raised my appetite and I constantly felt a little sick, because it was too sweet.

I believe the protein shakes help but you must pay a lot of attention to the content, no matter what the name of the product might imply to.
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Carnation Breakfast Essentials.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #4  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

How are those bargoo?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like making my own. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. I buy plain, unflavored whey protein and then add it to almond milk, skim milk or other low-carb beverage, and then blend with frozen fruit in my Rocket blender (it's like the Magic Bullet only with a stronger motor). I may add flavorings and sweeteners (like Torani or Davinci Sugar free syrups or dry jello pudding mix).

My favorite recipe is 1/2c almond milk, 1/2c greek yogurt, 1/3 pkg pistachio sugar free pudding mix (dry mix straight from package), and 14 to 28g whey protein (90/10 ration of protein/fat).

It tastes like cheesecake.

I also make a chocolate banana that's really yummy: 1 cup milk or almond milk, 14 to 28g whey protein, 1/2 banana frozen (I freeze bananas in quarters) and 1/4 pkg jello sugar free chocolate fudge pudding mix (dry mix).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #6  
Tired Of Just Surviving

I have a magic bullet but it is definately not a blender!!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

I did slim fast for a while. It was...meh. I don't like substituting lunch or dinner for a measly shake.
Since I'm not allowed many carbs before 11AM (less than 5), I have been drinking an atkins shake for breakfast (which has 2 net carbs). They're not bad....I just miss my cereal.
Neither the slim fast or atkins tasted terrible right from the fridge. I had a protein shake for lunch though (with the mix and milk), but I had to put it in the freezer a while to chill because the taste wasn't as good otherwise.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

I have been doing Special K chocolate for breakfast because I am not a big morning eater and it seems to be doable. I never could do slim fast it always made me ill.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I hate them all. they taste too much like milk, which I don't drink.

I eat Luna bars instead, if I need a "meal replacement" type meal. They aren't amazingly awesome for you, but I seriously cannot drink meal replacement drinks.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

The prepackaged ones are loaded with all kinds of garbage I'd rather not consume.

I do drink 100% whey after workouts but I think the branded mixes are unnecessary at best and unhealthy at worst.

The longer I do this the more I hate diet products. For the same amount of calories I can eat something that is actually nourishing my body! I'm learning to not just feed my face, but be mindful of the total nutrition of everything I consume..

Sorry I went off on a rant.... But no, I don't like them :P.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Being type 2 diabetic, there is a place in my diet for a Glucerna shake because it is convenient and, supposedly and purportedly, "perfect" for my metabolism and avoiding glycemic spikes. It definitely is a perfect breakfast to have discretely at my desk. At 200 calories it is enough to give me the energy I need to get me through to lunch (typically I'll have a fruit snack between meals) and frankly, the chocolate is, to me, delicious.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSteps View Post
I have a magic bullet but it is definately not a blender!!
My Rocket personal blender (by Bella Cucina) is actually more powerful than my standard blender ever was (but my blender was an inexpensive Oster).

With my Rocket, I can crush ice to a "snow" consistency which I never could do with my counter top blender.

From what I understand, it mostly boils down the the motor strength to canister volume ratio (and also the sharpness and strength of the blades).

If I remember correctly, the Rocket blender has a 350 watt motor, while I believe the Bullet has only 250.

I would love to get one of the mega-powered blenders, but they're pretty expensive. I'm a cheapskate and have never paid more than $15 for a blender (even countertop).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I've never done a shake. But, I have two friends that lost all their weight having a Slim Fast for breakfast (only that meal). It's years now.. the still always have a Slim Fast - to maintain.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-09-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Ok I just want to throw this out there, guys.

Ingredients in Slim Fast:
Sugar (more than a Hershey Bar!), Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin (Corn Sugar), Gum Arabic, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cellulose Gel, Soy Fiber, Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Phosphate (Chemical food additive), Xanthan Gum (another food additive), Dextrose (Sugar AGAIN), Salt, Guar Gum, Soybean Lecithin, Artificial Flavors (Gross, any chemical cocktail they please), Carrageenan, Sodium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium(Artificial Sweetener), Aspartame (Artificial sweetener AGAIN). Vitamins and Minerals. Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Ferric Manganese Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Monoitrate, Chromium Chloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione Vitamin K1) Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) and Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)

Just... no thank you. You can do SO much better mixing something up on your own and taking a multivitamin.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #15  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

@Valrock - you are right, but sometimes that is a tradeoff for the convenience. I try not to think too much about what is in the shake, so long as it isn't aspartame and the like. The rest of the chemicals I've most likely in my lifetime eaten in one way or another. Entenmann's contains some nasty stuff too...and I used to eat it no problem...lol
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote