One year commitment

You're on Page 10 of 27
Go to
  • Lauriedawn- Thanks for the welcome. I try and keep postive. I was feeling a bit down a few weeks ago. Its seemed like I was never going to get out of the 230's. I spent almost the whole month of October trying to get out. I am trying to find the right balance for my calories. I ate 2000 yesterday and lost. I was shocked especially after lifting. I am trying to eat between 1700 and 2000/day. I get impatient and frustrated like everyone else.

I really want to pick your brain about New Rules. Are you still on that? I have been reading the book more and getting scared. Those exercises seem so hard. I am lifting using a different system and seeing success. I know New Rules works I just need to get the courage up to start. Part of my problem is I don't have a spotter.

I have been trying to increase my speed. This week I started jogging for a few min and have worked up to 5min. You are amazing to run. I am nervous about my knees and running.

I hope your kidney stones disolve on their own. That really sucks.

Why are you fasting? If you don't mind me asking?

I lifted yesterday and felt GREAT. . I guess the endorphins kicked in. I went as Rosie the Riveter for Halloween. I got a few comments on my guns.

Angie good for you doing insanity. I have read that one is hard. I hear you about sweating while lifting. I wear a heart rate monitor to track my calories while lifting and walking. I get my HR up in the 130's at times lifting. Especially squats with a kettlebell. It feels good though. I read somewhere a quote a love "Sweat is fat crying".
  • I love the costume, and I love that you're showing your guns! I am still too focused on my excess flab to really show off my guns, but I LOVE them.

As for the kidney stones, I only had one once, and it was in July of 2011. I just commented on it because of the protein/kidney question someone asked. Thanks for the well-wishes, though. =) I am hoping to NEVER have a recurrence.

New Rules questions. Yes, I am still doing it, and actually just finished my last work-out of Phase 3 yesterday. Woot woot! I love it. Tony Horton (the P90X guy) just came out with a new series of 10-minutes work-outs (Stacking, I think he calls it) that seem based on the New Rules principles, another indication of the effectiveness of these principles, in my mind. I love New Rules because the moves really work multiple areas at once. I tend to get very, very sore after.

There are challenging exercises in there for sure. I know I don't always get them right. Even then, though, I feel like doing it 90% is yielding good results. When I go to a new phase, I often watch youtube videos with the exercises to learn them if the diagrams aren't sufficient. I have also asked people in the gym to help me with complicated exercises. But it really is pretty "bite-size." And that's one of my favorite parts of it. I learn two parts of each phase at the beginning of a phase, then learn them better as I work through the phase. Then, I learn new exercises for the next phase. As for a spotter, I don't use one. If I can just drop the weights if they are too heavy, I don't worry about not having a spotter. I don't bench, for example, because I don't want to break my chest. But I will squat and deadlift because I can just drop them if the weight is too heavy. Never had to drop weights, though.

The fasting is a religious thing. I do it once a month, first Sunday of the month. I have "adopted IF principles," but I don't really do IF. I may decide to do it at some point.

I love how I feel about my body after I lift. I am much more aware of the amount of excess fat I have on my frame, but I am also aware that I can move quickly and well (not athlete-level, but I can zoom through a grocery store when I need to get stuff done), have great balance, can move fifty-pound boxes without much difficulty, etc. Lifting is awesome. And I really like New Rules in particular.
  • I've always been a bit too muscular for my taste, at least in my legs, so I've not gotten into the lifting yet. I do, however, want to be a toned thinner version of myself, so once I lose another 30 lbs or so, I plan on starting. I definitely don't want to get rid of the fat and become a little weakling, that's for sure.

I've gotta say, the scale challenge has been hard this weekend. I almost weighed myself with my eyes closed and was going to have my partner look at the weight, just so someone would know...and maybe so she could tell me if I'm headed in the right direction. But I didn't. The scale remains in the laundry room.

I do feel like I've lost some lbs though. I went to the mall yesterday and tried on a size 16 pencil skirt at Sear's that zipped but didn't allow me to sit down without fear or hulking that thing to pieces. I also tried on some 16 jeans that went on but wouldn't button. The 18's fit pretty comfortably now, though, and the 18W's at target were actually too big. Clothes sizing is so annoying sometimes, but still, it was all encouraging.

Something else encouraging was when I found my size 24W pants in a storage bin and was able to fit both legs (though a bit snug) into one pant leg. Absolutely insane to have already lost that much, even though I still have a ways to go. I also found some pics of me and my partner from her sister's wedding last october and oh. my. goodness....we were both hefty ladies. Like, wow. She's lost almost 60lbs and I've lost at least 54 since then and man does it make a difference. I just can't believe we ever let ourselves get so large! Yeesh!
    Laurie, hang in there with me on the scale challenge! This mess gets a bit tough after a few days. I still haven't decided if it's 'for me' since the anxiety of not weighing the last two days has been a lot like the anxiety of the scale not moving except I don't have any numbers to either calm myself down with or tell myself to get my butt in gear with. I dunno, the not knowing part is a little rough. We'll see though...I'm determined to stick it out since I made the commitment.
    Hope everyone is well!
  • LebenAlles - I am right there with you on the scale challenge. I'm glad I am doing it, and I will also see it through, but I also feel like I'm white-knuckling it until I finally get to weigh on Sunday. I do think it will be good news, though, and since I didn't get to see my weight yesterday, I feel like I will be highly motivated to stay on plan and keep up with exercise so that I will get to actually see the work I did last week show up on the scale. So, maybe I will decide that all of this was worth it. I don't measure, and I don't do pictures, so the scale is my only real barometer of success, and I really miss it. We'll see. Sunday, baby. Onward.

Day #8 a success. I fasted until 5:00, had a fairly substantial meal, and was done for the night. I had to cut my cardio short due to a small family crisis, but I did get in about 1.5 miles. Only ran for 6 minutes at 5.0 miles per hour, but I'll take it. Next cardio day, I'll try to push it to 7 at 5.2.

Day #9. Back to being super strict. My van is having problems, so I took it in to the shop and am sitting at the McDonald's next to the mechanic's just trying to get some work done. Sad and discouraged about that. I'm missing WAY too much work for family problems. Did not need this on top of it. But also not going to eat McDonald's food, even their "healthier" choices. I purchased a lovely Dasani water instead. It is located in a Wal-Mart, though, so I will probably go buy some grilled chicken and fruit if my van's not fixed by 2:00 or so. I'm feeling okay about waiting to eat until then. (Love that I am convinced IF is a good thing so I don't sweat about missing a meal any more.) Not going to eat any candy/junk food today. Depending on my vehicle status, I will also lift. Phase 4 of New Rules starts today! (Or maybe tomorrow.)

Have an amazing week everyone! This full-year thing is really starting to sink in. Thinking about having to do it for the next fifty or sixty years is starting to be intimidating. But I can surely do a year. And then reevaluate.
  • LebenAlles - I used to have that scale anxiety from NOT weighing too. This isn't the first attempt for me at not weighing myself. The first times I tried it in the past (some journeys ago), I had anxiety from not weighing, just the same as I did from weighing all the time. What finally clicked for me was the mental adjustments/revelations I needed to come to about this whole weight loss journey. I had to realize, for one, it's not a race. For two, I had to LIVE the lifestyle. If I am to TRULY embrace a healthy lifestyle, then I have to just live it. Why am I watching the scale constantly like it's a clock? Like I'm pressed for time or something? I realized I had turned weight loss into some kind of a race/competition against........what really? What happens if I let go of all that and just live the healthy lifestyle? So now, during my periods of not weighing, I live the lifestyle and forget about the rest.....because I completely trust and believe in what I'm doing....that this lifestyle will lead to weight loss success. I know it may sound easier said than done, but once it clicks internally, it gets easier and easier.

Have a great week everyone!
  • Just caught up on everyone and I am dropping in real quick to update.

Day 8 of 365

Life has been nothing short of insane for the past week, and the coming weeks will be sure to remain the same. My husband and I are planning our ceremony and reception (we had a courthouse wedding at the end of the summer) for the beginning of December and it is getting hectic as it is getting closer trying to find the photographer and get the cake taken care of and pay for the reception hall and all the other crazy stuff going on. I'm still staying on plan though, and exercising almost everyday because I know regardless of all the stuff going on I can still make time for myself.

I think that is why 30 Day Shred is fitting in so well into my schedule since it only takes about 30 minutes to do the whole thing. I did Day 7 today and I feel great, I can tell it's almost time to level up for sure. My husband is wearing the device that monitors his heart this week and next week, and he has his appointment with his cardiologist on Thursday for an ECG. I just want them to figure out what is going on so we can fix the problem.

Other than that I'm just trying to do my best and forget the rest!
  • I guess this is day 101 of 365 and more if needed.

I went into the weight room and bench pressed a barbell for the first time. I have been only doing dumbells. Not much 45 and 55lbs but its a start. Lucky for me there was only 3 others there so I did not feel as intimidated. I am proud of myself. I was thinking of not doing it but forced myself. Another woohoo moment was when I leg pressed 220lbs. I was holding myself back with lifting lighter weights. I will say the DOMS I had yesterday was bad but good too if you know what I mean.

I was gobsmacked today to see I dropped another pound. I had a long plateau in October. I have been eating more and I think that is what is helping get over the plateau.

Ladies I need to stay off the scale but think I will have to work up to it. I have tried several times but I cant stay away. Its funny because I did not weight myself for years.

Pink Hurricane How exciting to plan your reception. I have read many good things about 30 day shred. I hope they find out what is wrong with your husband. I wore a halter monitor when I was pregnant. I kept having a fast heart rate. They never figured it out and it went away.

Enjoynlife- thank you for the welcome. Its nice to be able to chat with other lifters also.

angieand2girls I totally agree with what you wrote. This has to be a lifestyle change to stick. I started out with number loss goals. Its not a race its a journey. Stay on plan and the weight will come off.

Lauriedawn. congrats for getting so far in New Rules. Sorry your van is in the shop. Our Jeep is still in the shop. We took it in for service brought it home and it died on the way to work. It turned out the part they put in was falty and broke some parts of the engine. Now the supplier is fixing those parts. Lucky we have 3 cars. We are also getting more work done because the engine is apart and they can get to those areas for free.
  • Quote: Other than that I'm just trying to do my best and forget the rest!
    Only have a second. Just wanted to say -

I may not be currently working through P90X, but I still love me some Tony Horton!
  • Angie - I just love your philosophy and your faith in your choices. I am struggling so much with the scale challenge, and I know it's because I still think of this as a race. But you are losing fast, and not making yourself crazy. It's awesome to see.

Pink Hurricane - Glad to hear you're getting stuff done even while stuck in limbo regarding your husband's health. Good luck with the wedding planning, and I trust everything will turn out well for your husband.

Lisha - I love to hear how you're rocking it in the weight room! I love to use a machine after a muscle-bound guy and leave it on the same setting. My van is fixed, but I think it's on its last legs.

Enjoynlife - So glad to hear you are feeling better. But you have never been a Debbie Downer. You are consistently upbeat and incredibly supportive, actually.

Went over calories yesterday. My teenage son made pumpkin pie and offered me some after I should have been done eating. I ate a piece. One of the few times when eating it seemed more important than staying on plan. And I didn't drink enough water. Still, I did lift weights, and I probably still ate at a deficit, so I am still feeling good.

Today - Wanted to start the day with another piece of pumpkin pie. Not gonna do it. Back to work. Back on plan. Lots of water / decaf green tea. Need to be stricter about calories. Have a tennis date tonight. Probably won't be great cardio, but should be fun. (It is our fourth date. Does that mean we are officially 'dating?') Election Day. My job is riding on one of the votes. Hope it goes in my favor. :-)
  • Lishar- First off that is great about you lifting the barbell! I work with free weights right now and struggle with 7 lbs so I cannot weight to start lifting bigger weight, and pressing. I'm glad to hear that nothing has happened like that with your heart since after your pregnancy, and as far as my husband, he has been having the racing heart along with palpatations, chest pain, and the last PT test he did he had a terrible time catching his breath (first time it has ever happened) along with chest pain and palpatations that occured later that night. Considering he's about to be 22 and has been in great physical condition for most of his life, they wanted to immediately get to the bottom of what is going on. I hope it's nothing big, his mother said she has had issues with high blood pressure and high cholestorol most of her life, so it could be a factor. But every time he has a symptom he records it, I'm just glad the doctors are being so proactive right now, and I hope we find it is nothing big.

Also, I love 30 Day Shred, it kicks my butt so good and I can't wait to level up!

Laurie
    - Yes I love Tony Horton and I can hear him yelling in the back of my head during my workouts, I cannot wait to have the time to add P90X back into my schedule, hoping to do that after completing the 30 Day Shred.

Yay for your tennis date!!!! That would be so much fun! I would be tempted to have that pumpkin pie too but good for you for being on top of things. And yes, as a fourth date I would call that dating for sure :wink: I hope you have a ton of fun tonight!

Day 9 of 365

This whole exercising almost everyday is becoming more of a habit. I did the 8th day of 30DS and felt really good throughout, I checked out a little bit of Level 2 today to see what I will be working with and I am nervous and excited because it's going to be harder, but I need it. Also, I am going to take my measurements again when I am halfway because I can already tell a bit of a difference in my arms! I had a grilled chicken and spinach salad with shredded cheese for lunch today to try to give myself some protein, not sure what I am making for dinner tonight though.

Today I found the cake I have always wanted to have for my wedding since I was a kid, and it's going to be a navy and pink cupcake cake! Well the cupcakes will be chocolate, the icing will be pink, and the ribbon and trim around the tiers will be navy (main color for the wedding). I'm so excited, and it's the one thing that can have a lot of pink besides the flowers (hubby and I agreed beforehand the whole wedding will not be pink). Everything else will be navy or white It's starting to come together, can't believe how close it is already!
  • Angie - I too admire your dedication and conviction in the choices you've made for your healthy lifestyle. I definitely say keep on keeping on and do what you do!

As for me, I might stretch out to three or four days in between weigh-in's, but I don't believe I'll go this long again. Or at least, not any time soon. I miss the perk of completing my day with My Fitness Pal and being told 'You will weigh XXX.X in 5 weeks if you keep this up'. Right now, it's not accurate (or at least I hope not) since I haven't weighed in and that is disappointing. I also miss the high's of seeing the tangible results of my progress. I totally understand that it shouldn't be a race, but I do have some date goals that correspond with some up coming events in my life, and knowing that I'm hitting those goals sure is a pick me up. It's definitely help put things in perspective for me though, and allowed me a chance to take a step back and see the positive things that aren't scale related. So thanks for that!

Laurie - Good on us for sticking with it! I don't know about you but I'm proud of myself for sticking with it despite the fact that we haven't completely wanted to. We've been good on our commitment, and that says a lot.

I've been loving my walks in the weather we've been having lately. It's been gorgeous (and chilly!) down here lately, and we're actually able to see a fall season for once. Leaves are actually changing! It's nice down here in the deep south

Hope everyone is having a lovely day!
  • LebenAlles- I am counting the seconds until I step on the scale again. I may have to push until Monday because I may be traveling this weekend. :-(. I am so glad I did this. I felt like it got me back on track. But I miss the neon number flashing. I look in the mirror, and I know I am fat. Though I also know I am making progress, I hate that I have no measure of it. This is AWESOME for Angie, but I need more reward more consistently. I think I will probably go back to once a week.

Pink Hurricane - your cupcakes sound incredible. I love pink. :-) And navy. I also love that I am in the habit of working out. Iove my body so much right now, even with its imperfections, because I am finally taking care of it.

Had a decent on plan day yesterday. My tennis date turned into a two-mile walk. Not adequate cardio, but good enough.

I started my food today with a donut. I work with a good, brilliant, honest judge who fought against a nasty opponent who lied and smeared him for months. The election came out as hoped, and the judge brought donuts in to celebrate. I proudly ate a 'justice donut!' I am slightly nauseous, as my stomach was completely empty, but it tasted like freedom and democracy. :-) I didn't plan well today, so I will have only sugar snap peas and protein bars until I leave work, but I will stay within my calories for the day and shop for work food tonight. Viva democracy!
  • Good Morning, ladies!

LebenAlles & LaurieDawn - at least you ladies gave it a full-faith try, ya know? In the end, we have to be happy with our choices. It'd be counter-productive if they made us miserable lol.

Is Thanksgiving really two weeks and a day away? That's just bananas to me. Where is the time going? Is anyone cooking for Thanksgiving? How are you going to handle the upcoming holidays?

TOM is due any day now...I can see it in my lower gut. Ugh. I bloat so much a day or two before it comes. And my energy levels plummet. But I persist. Have a great one everyone!
  • I'm coming in late but I wish you all the best!
  • Hi rachellosesitall85! It's never too late to join. Just hop on in with your 1 year commitment. We all have different times where we started. Welcome!

This morning as I was walking by the mirror, I noticed that my waist is really starting to suck in. I used to have so much fat on my waist/stomach that I looked "straight". Now the curves are REALLY showing! My waist seems to be shrinking at a faster rate than my hips, which is really bringing out my shape. Gotta love the NSV's!

Happy Thursday!