Making your exercise goals a good cause

• I thought we could discuss finding goals and attaching them to something that motivates you.

Lots of people do it. My best friend is running a marathon for Community Shares. There are tons of people that walk for breast cancer. Some swim for the homeless. I couldn't really find a cause that really motivated me.

Don't get me wrong! There are awesome causes out there that I feel a need to support but nothing that makes me want to get out of bed and work-out. I mean, I work for a non-profit. I'm around a good causes all the time.

So, this weekend the Cute Boyfriend and I were at Ralph's a what do I see? The San Diego Humane Society and SPCA walk! Alright! I cause that motivates me AND I can bring my exercise partner, Keiko (the dog), with me! Woo hoo! (You can visit my walkathon site at https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...&supId=4106648)

So, that's what I hoping to inspire. The summer is approachig and there has to be a good cause that motivates you! Is anyone planning to run a marathon? Do a walkathon? How about a dance-athon? Give us some good causes to move our butts!
  • I'm doing a walk for the cure. I don't get donations, just pay a sign up fee. I'll be walking in memory of my mom who died of breast cancer just before I turned 18.

Bella23
  • bella.. that's a wonderful tribute to your mom. she'll be watching over you and cheering you the whole way!

i just saw that the local hospital is having a fundrasing 5/10k walk run thing... and i wondered if i could actually walk 5 K... about 2.5 miles. not sure.. but this hospital has the respiratory therapists, physical therapists, and dieticians who saved my life, and it would be great to support them. hmmmmm. i have a meeting with the trainer in about a half hour... i'll bring it up. wonder what she'll say????
  • This fall I am doing a 80km off-road mountain bike trip (done over 2 days) to help raise money for MS research

next year I want to run a marathon
  • I've always been a volunteer at our local dog walk so I never went on the actual walk. But now that I've moved and don't volunteer with a shelter, I think I will probably do a dog walk. Living in a much bigger city means there are a lot more dog walks. My dogs, although geriatric, still love to walk and it's so much fun to see all the different dogs and their humans.
  • Bella, I wanted to do the Avon three day walk for breast cancer, but there is not one close to me. About the closest I could get was Chicago, which is about a 10 hour drive.
  • DH and I have decided to donate a pound of food for every pound we lose (he too is dieting) to our church's food pantry for the homeless. It is really motivating.

I think I will look into some exercise-type motivators too. That is a great idea. A local radio host just ran a marathon in Paris and that sounds cool.

Peace,
    Paula
  • ooops....

I guess running a marathon in paris isn't exactly a good cause. Hmm...I'll have to re-think that one. Maybe I can plan something to help support the orphanage where my children currently live (until they come home this spring/summer).

Peace,
    Paula
  • Raelyn - You're crazy!!!! I could never do a marathon. I thought I wanted to until I ran a 5K for practice and I thought I would die. My friend is training for one now. She's insane too!

JiffyPop - That sounds like such a cool idea! And what a great tribute to all the people who helped. I bet you could do it. Who cares how fast you would go.

Bella - Now that's a cause close to your heart. Good for you, girl! I think your mom would be super proud.

Paula - A pound of food for every pound you lose is such a neat idea. When you said it I thought of Dog Food and how it's marked in bag percentages anyway. Maybe I could get the Cute Boyfriend to do something like that.