3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   and with milestones there are failures :( (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/264270-milestones-there-failures.html)

SmallSteps 08-08-2012 01:25 PM

and with milestones there are failures :(

I feel off the soda wagon on July 3, 2012. :(

I was off all soda from January 1, 2012 until July 3, 2012 and was feeling so wonderful that I had finally kicked that nasty habit. Unfortunately stress kicked in with all that I am going through and I faultered.

Good News I have weaned myself down to one can first thing in the morning and the next step is off completely AGAIN! I just don't know if I can accomplish this soon with all the stress in my life. :shrug:

TiffNeedsChange 08-08-2012 01:31 PM

We all have failures at some point but the fact that you went 7 months without a soda is AMAZING! You can do it!!

HealthyMeWannabe 08-09-2012 05:45 AM

Of course you can accomplish this again. :) Just remember that you've done it before and can do it again!

Beverlyjoy 08-09-2012 06:40 AM

You did it before and you CAN do it again!!!

Kudos for the time you didn't drink soda pop.

linJber 08-09-2012 07:02 AM

Of course you can - Just don't buy it! Pass it up. Don't even think about it. You can do it again.

Lin

sluggerbean 08-09-2012 01:21 PM

Belinda, you can beat it once again. You already know what to do, so just do it!!

I am here for you always! :hug:

Sandi 08-09-2012 01:31 PM

Do you mind if I ask why you aren't drinking soda? I can't have it because of the artificial sweeteners, but I am always curious when other people try to stop drinking it.

Ladystringer 08-09-2012 01:36 PM

I try not to drink it especially the dark colored sodas. The tanic acid is hard on the kidneys.

Protect your kidneys....you can't tell they are going bad till the end and there is no way to get the function back. I learned this the HARD WAY.

Goddess Jessica 08-09-2012 02:53 PM

I gave up soda because of the chemicals but only in bursts. Then I go back on them and then off them again. I figure that it's better to try and fail than not try at all.

SmallSteps 08-09-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandi (Post 4432668)
Do you mind if I ask why you aren't drinking soda? I can't have it because of the artificial sweeteners, but I am always curious when other people try to stop drinking it.

I stopped because of the empty calories and because I can't drink it in moderation. One can becomes a six pack becomes a case and so on and so on and so on.

defenestrator 08-10-2012 09:53 AM

It sounds like you feel like you are fighting yourself. It also sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time, so maybe it's ok to be compassionate with yourself.

For me, consistently making progress toward losing weight (even if it is really slow progress) has involved reframing how I think about my choices. Instead of thinking about sticking to my plan as good girl behavior and cheating as bad girl behavior, I see it all as free choices that I, as an adult make. I am choosing to lose weight. I know that combining diet and exercise to get below 1400 net calories or so will make me lose weight. I do a lot of the same things every day -- eat a lot of the same foods, do the same exercise. When I eat less than what I usually do I think "I'm making the choice to try and amp up my weight loss this week." When I work out more than what I usually do, I think "I'm making the choice to try and get to my fitness goals faster or to put more calories in the budget so that I can eat more later," and when I lie on the couch instead of working out I think, "I'm either choosing to not meet my goals today, or choosing to eat less to make up for them, or choosing to do more later." What I find is that I don't have the big blowout binges any more, nor go more than a day or two without working out, nor feel like a failure anymore. I learned my lesson from this past winter when I stopped paying attention to my diet and gained 8lbs. It took me nearly 5 months to lose it again and get back to where I started! So now, as the scale creeps up I think, "Do I want to lose another month of progress?" and I make a different choice. But there is no sense of failure, no sense of self-punishment. And I feel like that feeling of, "It's all too hard, I'm terrible at it, I might as well not try," just never comes.

Elladorine 08-10-2012 12:25 PM

Have you considered allowing yourself an occasional diet soda? I know many have issues with artificial sweeteners, myself included, but I'm fine as long as I don't have aspartame. I also don't guzzle diet down the same way I used to regular, since I was a sugar addict.

I own a soda stream machine, so I can make my own diet sodas and flavored carbonated water, and best of all, I can control the ingredients! I also occasionally buy Diet Hansen's (aspartame-free) and Zevia (aspartame and sucralose-free). They're a little more expensive than regular soda but so worth it for an occasional treat. I also pick up the store brand flavored water at Albertsons sometimes, which is also aspartame-free. :)

As a general rule, I dislike the "all or nothing" mindset simply because I personally feel it sets me up for failure. The only things I've cut out of my life are cigarettes (for obvious reasons) and anything I'm allergic to or have bad reactions with (seafood, apple juice, aspartame).

SmallSteps 08-10-2012 07:21 PM

I am on Day 2 with no soda :) I am making progress.

SmallSteps 08-19-2012 08:27 PM

Soda Free for NINE Days!! :)

sluggerbean 08-20-2012 11:56 AM

:high: You go girl!!