convention?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • anyone thought about organising a convention. hire a hotel or something and get the whole group together for a while to meet up for some fun.
  • I think it's been tossed around a few times, but I know money is a concern. If we did it, we'd need to plan well in advance (like maybe something in late 2004 if we started planning today.)

I'm all for it! We'd have to pick someplace pretty central, though, since we have folks flung far and wide on this board!
  • Where does everyone live?

I know the low carb board had one. Jiffy.. didn't you go to a meet? Any tips on organizing one?
  • I would like nothing better. It would have to be central and we would have to realize that EVERYONE won't be happy.
  • i would LOVE that. i always want to meet my online people! i feel like i get so close to people online that i just HAVE to meet them, and they are always so far away. =(

maybe we could have a few conventions. i mean, you'd probably only get to meet the people that are closer to you, but some people wouldn't be able to make it THAT far away, you know? so if there were more of them, more people would be able to go.

we could do like, 3 US/Canada ones, spread equally somehow, and other ones with europe/austrailia and such.

OR we could have a whole bunch, like one for each US state, canadian provence, etc.
  • I'd be totally up for going! This year I have packed on the frequent travel miles. In 3 hours, I am heading to Dothan Alabama (Thats actually where the tiny airport is, we still have about a 40 minute drive from there).

If my memory serves me correctly, most people are out in the midwest. How about a cool city like New Orleans? Of course, if you all want to make the trip to the Northeast, Boston is a quite a cool city .

Matt
  • I would travel anywhere in the United States.
  • It would be a blast, I'm in for it!! They had talked about doing one around Baltimore Md a while back. (that's close to me!)

Bella23
  • wow!!!! if ya don't read for a day or so, things really pile up around here!!!

SI... you'd have to travel the farthest, as just about everyone else is US based.

yep.. the low carb board actually had two.. ruthxxx headed to nj for a visit with another friend, and those of us who lived in the area got together for sunday breakfast at a diner [a true nj institution!!!]

The other one was in atlanta, and coincided with gee, i don't remember WHY we did it!!!! Maybe to celebrate the fact that debk and i were still alive and because a friend from texas was heading to SC to stay with her ill parents for a couple of weeks.

and i'd also gone to an internet chat group weekend. that was very structured. a barbecue on friday, dance party on saturday, breakfast on sunday.

so, things can be as simple as meeting for a meal, or as complicated as a weekend-long event. the most important thing, i think, is that there's an area with lots of activities so that some folks can lounge by the pool and others can go off on more active pursuits. this is really important if family members are along. the other important thing is time together. being able to sit down and talk and laugh.

we were planning on having a meeting here in nj in may, but my sister decided to cancel it because she's planning to have wls, although she hasn't set a date yet. we had a rough outline for this weekend: most people coming in on friday; a casual dinner at someone's house. saturday was to be a field trip to nyc, trying to accomodate everyone's interests. i was planning on renting a tour bus for the day, just to make sure no one got lost!!!!

some of the lc ladies live in long island and other parts of the ny/nj area, and offered to help with ferrying people around and with food prep. we had a hotel picked out, not real expensive, but clean and comfy with an outdoor pool. and i could get everyone temporary passes to my health club.

and sunday, brunch at one of the local places, and then everyone was free to go... or hang around.

does this help??

i guess what i'm saying is that it's real helpful to have someone local to make arrangements for activities.

as for location, i'll go just about anywhere. baltimore is fun, so is boston. loved n'awlins. never been to chicago. love london. never been to reno or las vegas. love san diego, san francisco, seattle, denver. would love to see san antonio. or go on a paddle steamer on the mississippi.

hmmmm. i've just reread this post... and if we'd planned to get one tour bus, we could certainlky plan to get another one!!!! a combined 100 pound club and lc ladies?? what a hoot!!!!! A VERY NOISY HAPPY ONE!!!!!
  • Greating from Alabama (Ozark city, AL) to be exact.

I think a major hub city would probably work best for most people (Chicago, Atlanta, New Jersey area, etc.). I believe there are many people out in the midwest, so maybe Chicago would work best (just in terms of being relatively easy for the majority).

Is there anyone on the list from Chicago? If people decide two have two (or more) of these things, I would certainly be happy to make some arrangements for the Boston area (I know a couple of New Englanders here on the list). Bottom line is I would be willing to go anywhere.
  • Chicago sounds good! - but I don't think anyone from here lives there.

Sandi - let's go to your house! you can teach us all to play bunko!!
  • I am less just over an hour from Chicago.

When would we want this event?? How much lead time would eveyone need??

Would you be bringing your families?
  • I love Chicago, and could drive there. That would be such a blast!

Not sure about everyone else, but I've got this year pretty well mapped out, vacation wise and such, but could work something out. Just a thought.
  • Chicago would be good, as long as it's in the summer. I also would cast my vote for Atlanta - LOTS to do there! If anyone is interested in the gambling scene, we could go to Tunica, Mississippi. (Right down the road from me. )
  • chicago would be a long road trip for me! but if we planned it way in advance, i could save and buy plane tickets early...