Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #1  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Food will NOT be my cause of death!

Today has really been a rough day for me so far. I woke up this morning to my oldest cat having a seizure beside me in bed. He is 14 and a senior kitty. We experienced this with my 22 year old cat 6 months before we had to put him down. I was definitely not prepared for this. Of course I spent the morning crying and am worrying about my poor old cat while I am here at work. If this has happened a few months ago I would probably have my face in a carton of ice cream right, drowning my sorrow in calories. But not today.

One of my friends at work stopped by my desk to share some sad personal news. Her son-in-law committed suicide last week. It was a heroin overdose that killed him. He leaves behind a wife and two children age 7 (twins).

His addiction killed him. This guy had been in and out of rehab for five years and couldn't beat his addiction. And being addicted to food is just as tough to beat. After all, a drug user can live without heroin but a person MUST eat to survive. Times got rough for him and he gave into his addiction. The addiction won.

Not with me. I will not drown my sorrows and stresses in food. I will stick to my plan. I will not let food win. Remaining strong and putting my faith in God will carry me through these tough times ahead. Extra "comfort" calories won't help my cat nor will they help me.

I will get through this without caving.
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I know how tremendously heartbreaking it is to put a beloved pet down, good for you for not giving into food at this stressful time.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

we are all here for you. im sure you loved your kitty beyond words. im so sorry.
newjourney2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #4  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

HealthyMeWannabe, I am so sorry for all you are going through today. It is heartbreaking to have to deal with pets illnesses.

I am also very sorry to hear about your friend's son-in-law. How sad for the family of that young man. It is true that we can't live without food, but we can live without ice cream, cookies, chips, etc (insert personal vice). What we need is the good, healthy foods that will nourish our bodies. So it is the unhealthy foods that we need to conquer our addiction over. And I do believe it is a type of addiction. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs, etc. but what I do is over-eat. My addiction is to sweet carbs. Those are the ones that put layers of unhealthy fat on my body.

I admire your resolve to come on here today and post about your feelings rather than just mindlessly giving in to the cravings and letting the addicion win. You can do it. Stay strong.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

You have the right attitude. God will bring you through this.

Everything Judy Lynn said...ditto!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Sorry to hear about your rough day. Pets being sick is never a fun time. We treat ours as though they are children. Keep strong and know that you can do this without turning to food.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

and ^prayers^ coming your way; sure can relate when I lost our two furry babies 3 weeks apart some time ago; it was difficult, but we came through it with GOD's help and so will you ... again!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #8  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh, that sweet little kitty. I dealt with that with my 22 year old cat and it is such a hard thing to see. I hope your kitty is doing ok. Kudos to you for stabing off the "need" to eat away your sorrows. My heart goes out to your coworker's family as well, those children are going to need a lot of support. :hugs:
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Lynn View Post
HealthyMeWannabe, I am so sorry for all you are going through today. It is heartbreaking to have to deal with pets illnesses.

I am also very sorry to hear about your friend's son-in-law. How sad for the family of that young man. It is true that we can't live without food, but we can live without ice cream, cookies, chips, etc (insert personal vice). What we need is the good, healthy foods that will nourish our bodies. So it is the unhealthy foods that we need to conquer our addiction over. And I do believe it is a type of addiction. I don't smoke, drink, gamble, do drugs, etc. but what I do is over-eat. My addiction is to sweet carbs. Those are the ones that put layers of unhealthy fat on my body.

I admire your resolve to come on here today and post about your feelings rather than just mindlessly giving in to the cravings and letting the addicion
win. You can do it. Stay strong.
I totally agree with all of this post especially the bolded sentence. We do not need sugar to live, it is not a food group and a person can live their entire life without ever tasting it.

Sorry about your kitty.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #10  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Dragon hasn't had a seizure (that I've witnessed) since Thursday morning. He may have them during the day but we don't see them since we're gone to work. He's been his usual self, which is good. We're just taking things one day at a time with him.

I'm still sticking with my plan. I went over by 16 calories yesterday, which isn't too bad. I attribute that to allowing myself to eat one sugar cookie yesterday at work. If I'd avoided it I wouldn't have gone over on my calories. It's the only day at all this week that I went over on my calories. Today I'm going to my mom's and helping her get her house cleaned, which will burn lots of calories too. She doesn't have the most diet-friendly foods there so I may take some food from home over there.

The scale's cooperating with me, which is great.

I still feel so bad for my friend's daughter and her 7 year old children. The kids have been used to their dad being gone for months at a time to rehab so they keep asking when he's coming home. So sad that this man's drug addiction has killed him. My food addiction will not do the same to me. I'm staying in control.

Here's a picture of my Dragon kitty. He's such an awesome cat!

Last edited by HealthyMeWannabe; 07-28-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: adding picture
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote