3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Exercising and Sleepiness (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/261473-exercising-sleepiness.html)

Neast 06-21-2012 05:30 PM

Exercising and Sleepiness

Hi all! I'm back again :(

I started exercising this week and I have been so exhausted. I'm ok after water aerobics, but Tuesday and today after Zumba, I took long naps, greater than 3 hours. Is this normal?

I'm waiting for the boost of energy.

Thanks ! :)

EagleRiverDee 06-21-2012 06:59 PM

I think it's 100% normal. When I did a round of P90X last year, I had to start going to bed at 9PM instead of 10PM for a month, because it was making me so tired. But then after I got used to the harder exercise, my energy went through the roof and I felt fantastic. Give your body time to get used to it. :)

linJber 06-21-2012 08:45 PM

I think a 3 hour nap is a bit excessive to compensate for a Zumba class that probably lasts 45 minutes to an hour, but I do understand you might be tired.

After exercise my body sometimes feels tired, but that doesn't mean I'm sleepy. I think there's a difference. And going to bed a bit earlier rather than taking a very long nap might be a better option. Long naps tend to make one not sleep as well at night. that turns into a cycle no one needs.

Great job on doing the exercise, though. Keep it up!

Lin

LaurieDawn 06-21-2012 09:52 PM

This thread is interesting to me, because I have found the opposite to be true. I did two rounds of cardio totalling about an hour & 45 minutes yesterday, and then did P90X Arms and Shoulders. (My triceps are SO sore! Woo hoo!) And I could not get to sleep until 6 a.m., and then only slept for two hours, and have not been tired at all today. I don't understand it. It's never happened to me before. I feel like my body should need additional rest with the amped-up exercise, especially to recover from the strength training. =/ Got melatonin for tonight, and hopefully, that will help.

Neast 06-21-2012 10:04 PM

Thanks all. I have never slept well at night, so I typically take a daily nap. I have never slept so long for a nap though.

alsten02 06-22-2012 10:49 AM

my sleep still isnt the greatest still but at least Im feeling more tired earlier so I get to bed not too late :P

patchworkpenguin 06-22-2012 04:08 PM

I've exercised for years and this still happens to me. Its just weird!:dizzy: I do a workout then 2 hours later I need a nap. It doesn't always have anything to do with the intensity of the workout, or if I've taken a rest week or two and am 'restarting'. I've heard from others on my exercise forum that this happens to them also.

I frequently have problems sleeping, both falling asleep and waking up early, but try not to take a nap during the day. Not sure if that makes a difference??? I've never considered that.

LiannaKole 06-22-2012 06:26 PM

Exercise has always made me a bit sleepy, even when I get used to it (but the sleepiness lessens then).

One thing I've noticed is that after working out, I get higher endorphin levels, so I feel relaxed, calm, and that makes me want to nap. But after I start getting used to it, the endorphin rush is less, so I get less relaxed and tired (still get it, but not so extreme).

I get it the most after cardio, but I also get it for weight lifting and stretching. Especially if I do a combo.

Meka150 06-22-2012 06:51 PM

When I first started working out I was tired and didn't want to do anything else. Now I can exercise in the morning before work and be good the rest of the day.

linJber 06-24-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neast (Post 4379713)
Thanks all. I have never slept well at night, so I typically take a daily nap. I have never slept so long for a nap though.

You might be making things worse by napping if you don't sleep well at night. Try forcing yourself to skip the naps and see if you are then more tired at night and sleep better. I find that exercise makes my muscles tired, if that's the right word, but I'm not sleepy after exercise. I think most find the opposite to be true.

Lin

seagirl 06-24-2012 08:05 PM

Try having a big glass of water next time you feel sleepy (in the day ,not at night). Sometimes I take a nap because I'm horribly dehydrated, other times I recognize it as dehydration and stave it off with water. As soon as I'm hydrated I feel fine (and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm feeling thirsty.)