Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Small changes, big effort...

I've gotten pretty comfortable with dropping my carbs to under 100 grams a day and eating 1500 calories a day... Now, though, it seems that in order to keep losing at the rate I would like to I have to drop my carbs lower, for at least a couple of days a week. I can't believe how difficult I'm finding it to do that at this stage of the game! It's so easy to creep from 50 to 70/80 without thinking about it or eating anything that seems carby or "bad".
Oh well, more mindfulness I guess and making sure that I have lots of lean protein on hand! I would really like to break through this stall (not quite a plateau but definitely a slowdown) and am pretty sure that dropping or cycling carbs is what it will take for me to do it. Strangely, it seems to have more to do with weight on the scale than my body - my waist went down over an inch while the scale has barely moved!
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I think your carb levels are fine unless you're trying to get into ketosis. Perhaps keeping your food where it is and upping your metabolism with strength training might help more? You'll be more directly reshaping your body whilst burning more calories, at the same time.

I think carbs get unnecessarily vilified for many dieters. If you're eating whole, healthy food and not overindulging on craving-inducing junk (which it sounds like you are not) more easily adopted adjustments might be had from building muscle than continually cutting food and messing with macronutrients.

Just a thought

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

I won't go into carbs (except to say that low carb is my tool of choice on this journey), but want to encourage you to focus on the changes you ARE seeing in your body.

Take plenty of measurements and pics because plateaus happen and if you (a general you) rely solely on the scale you could easily get discouraged and miss the progress your body is making.

My scale was stuck the entire fall this last year, but I dropped from a 22 to an 18 in jeans and could see HUGE changes in pics. With results like that it was easy to stick with it and ignore the scale for awhile.

Good luck!
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Great progress, Freefall. I've been inspired by your progress and positive attitude since I joined 3fc. Switching things up worked for me when I would slow down, so maybe that's the answer for a few weeks.

Isn't Onederland wonderful? For me, it also meant just overweight and not obese, so it was doubly great when I hit under 200 pounds. Congrats.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote