Wii fitness??

• are the wii fitness excersizes worth doing at all? .... im just curious ...

i see the Jenny Mcartney YOUR SHAPE

and the EA ACTIVE games have decent reviews?
  • Don't know about Jenny. I have EA sports. It's good. Fun. Breaks up the mundane. Borrow it from someone if you can, to see if you like it.
  • I love biggest loser challenge - can start easy and build your way up. Combines circuit training, yoga and box fit so it's different every day
  • WalkitOut is a lot of fun. Look for the discussion board on amazon
  • I have to say, when I was about 290 pounds, it got me UP and doing SOMETHING. I can't say it's a superior workout tool for fit people, but for heavy people who are sedentary it was a life saver and fun!
  • i don't know about the wii fitness games (i have the wii fit, and use the board for other games - like "walk it out" until i could do 60 mins straight without feeling tired).... and i DO love the golds gym 'cardio boxing' game! also, with the wii fit, i really enjoy the yoga part of it, i've been using that a lot more recently.
  • Sure. Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports, Walk it Out -- my heart rate monitor has it comparable to beginner DVDs I do. They have a place in the spectrum.

I have no illusion that these games will match an advanced DVD or formal gym workouts but that's another place in the spectrum.

For me? It is fun and gets me moving again. More important -- I can include my kid. That matters to me more this time around that when I lost significant weight in my 20's before she existed!

A.
  • I like to do the free step (is that what it's called?) where I can set it up and then switch to the tv and watch a half hour of tv while I get a little movement in. It surely doesn't burn a boat load of calories but it does get me moving and moving rather than sitting on the sofa is a good thing
  • Wii fit is a very mild exercise but it is a great way to start getting in shape or to just to keep moving on the days that anything else is too hard.
  • I don't know what weight or fitness level you are at, but wii fit was my gateway drug to exercise. I started out doing 3 minutes at 310+ pounds to 3 hours -90 pounds later. Since then I've moved on to the treadmill, but I still pull it out and do it when I don't feel like doing anything else.