3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Period Issues? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/253787-period-issues.html)

Misa66 02-28-2012 08:22 AM

Period Issues?

Okay ladies since you have you made a change in your diet and excersise have any of you experienced changes in your T.o.M?

I've been on the depo shot for a little but over a year, 2 weeks after my first shot I got a very light period that only lasted about 3 days, usually I have heavy ones that last 5-6 days, and since then I have not had my period again which they warned me that could happen. No periods and no spotting either. But now that I've been dieting and excersising for about a month I've noticed some random spotting, I told my boyfriend about this and he says it's because of the new changes I'm making with my body. I have not changed my diet drastically, just have had way smaller portions than before and making healthier food choices. I take a daily vitamin and my exercise level has been mild.

I was just wondering cause I know I've heard of women who when they change their eating habits that they experience changes with that :)

sontaikle 02-28-2012 08:30 AM

When I was a teen I had periods from ****. Luckily when my hormones sorted themselves out and I hit my 20s they got better. However, my periods have ALWAYS been 5 days with the first two days being quite heavy.

When I started losing weight I slowly began to have four day periods. Around the time I hit a healthy BMI I started having three day periods. Right now I seem to be having three day periods with one heavy day.

I'm certainly not complaining about that development

OnMyWayDown 02-28-2012 10:34 AM

I can tell you that when you have been on birth control for an extended amount of time that the hormones can be stored in your fat cells and when you begin to lose fat you will release higher levels of hormones making your period out of whack temporarily.
Hope that puts your mind at ease

djs06 02-28-2012 10:41 AM

It sounds like it's the BC more than anything!

But I am not on BC and my cycle has drastically changed since I started exercising. At first it came very early and was super light, now it comes late and is only heavy once every few months. It's also shorter. Exercise has done wonders in that department, although it's annoying that it's so unpredictable. I think some bodies are just more sensitive to exercise- I don't do anything crazy, probably about 200 minutes a week of moderate-slightly vigorous.

Tontus94 02-28-2012 03:32 PM

I have had a similar experience.....

Though I haven't been on any sort of BC in over 10yrs(Thanks to DH!). I first started working out & counting calories in Jan. I didn't have a period for Jan, just spotting for several days and so far nothing for Feb. I am attributing it to a hormonal change from working out after not working out in years. Of course if it keeps going on like this I may go see my DR. But for now I am not bothered!!

Just thought you might like to hear you are not the only one :hug:

Lyla 02-28-2012 04:03 PM

My period change 180 degrees after losing weight like 40pounds or so.
I've been irregular my whole life, even when i was not overweight, always 6-7 days long. now i'm 5-6 days (not much change) but is so on point now. i used to have months with no period at all.

In my case was not exercise as i used to be in every team in school and after gaining weight i started lifting a year before changng food habits, but after losing weight and being more healthy, this is improving as well.