3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   People who gave up sugar (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/253602-people-who-gave-up-sugar.html)

Trazey34 02-25-2012 03:49 PM

People who gave up sugar

A man in my office was diagnosed with diabetes, and the core group of friends decided out of solidarity and support, that we'd all give up sugar from Feb 15th (snuck in some last minute valentine candy) until March 15th

I feel like i've had a headache for a WEEK that won't go away!!!! tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin, nothing touches it!

Is this normal or am I DYING?????

I've lost 5 pounds too!!! crazy business!

Candeka 02-25-2012 03:54 PM

Do you usually eat a lot of sugar? If so, it's like a caffeine addiction. If someone drinks a lot of caffeine all the time and than suddenly stops, they get headaches. Its just your body being like "what the heck!". It should go away as your body adapts. By March 15, you might not even want much sugar anymore as your body has gotten used to not having it. I gave up candy (was a huge addict and could eat a ton)... but now after eating like 5 pieces I get bad headaches.

sevencallmemom 02-25-2012 04:00 PM

Yeah that's what happened to me when I went off carbs. I think it should pass very, very soon. Mine lasted a week I think.

thistoo 02-25-2012 04:21 PM

In low carb circles we call it the 'carb flu'. It's different for everyone, but hits some worse than others depending on their usual diet and how much detoxing they have to do. It will pass, hopefully soon.

Lyla 02-25-2012 04:30 PM

Is pretty normal, even when going from a normal diet 55% carbs to a ketogenic 5-10% carbs people usually have the same effects.

Jen 02-25-2012 09:16 PM

yep totally normal to have that headache when quitting processed carbs like sugar. It'll pass. Try drinking more water, it should help.

Desiderata 02-25-2012 10:44 PM

Very normal. But boy, doesn't it make you think twice about what sugar does to the body?! Crazy stuff. Also - you're a wonderfully supportive friend!

DiabeticDiva 02-25-2012 10:59 PM

Have you ever had a fasting test for diabetes? I'm diabetic and when my levels get low I get a headache. I know when I stopped eating sugar my energy level increased and my mood swings stopped. I never did drink reg. soda if you stopped eating sugar did you also stop drinking reg. soda. Maybe caffene withdrawal also.

1oftheLuvs 02-25-2012 11:44 PM

Been there... it sucks... day 3 and 4 were the worst for me. It does pass, but I've found that if I up my intake of some healthy foods that are higher in natural sugars; milk for example, that helps a bit.

Trazey34 02-26-2012 01:01 AM

Today was a lot better thanks! I never thought I ate much sugar-wise but I guess little treats here and there add up LOL my cookie after dinner with a cuppa tea was so hard to let go of :(