Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #1  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Default What was your defining moment?

I was thinking about NY's resolutions, how many people say they are going to lose weight. I did it myself pretty much every year once I hit puberty! But most people I know who have actually managed to stick to a weight reduction journey have had something that spurred them on. What was yours?

Mine was my Mum having a heart attack. I'd lost weight, gained it back after two kids and didn't really care anymore. Then my Mum had a heart attack and I saw her in hospital, came home and ate two chocolate bars, cried, and jumped of 3FC after a long hiatus. The motivation and support I got kept me going, its been a year now and I'm still plugging away
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I was diagnosed with posterior tibial tendinitis/dysfunction in October 2011... before the I was walking but not watching what I ate... once diagnosed I knew losing weight would help my chronic pain. I have tried for years on and off to lose weight but my condition just kept getting worse so at the end of De ember I decided to do my best. I was tired of being fat, was swimming but had to stop that too for a while and decided diet was the only way because of my issues. Now I keep myself going with monthly tight shirt and short pictures and measurements... not to mention coming on 3FC for support and just browsing through the goal photos. Everyone has been such an inspiration. Glad to he's you're getting healthy to avoid being sick maybe It is much easier before a problem exists
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #3  
Flab be gone

S/C/G: goal weight 60kgs

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

my defining moment was struggling to fit into my size 14 bra. I know it's not huge and definately not bad health wise but i really couldn't afford to buy a new one as they cost $55. I was tired of struggling into my clothes and looking fat and frumpy.
This site has been fantastic, keeping me motivated and on track to lose the extra flab. My DH is now dieting as well so we are keeping each other honest!
fiona46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #4  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

Height: 5'7"

Good thread!

I can certainly relate to the 3 reasons before me. Investing in larger clothes was always heart breaking. My personal health issues. My mom's weight-related health issues which ultimately ended her life.

My defining moment wasn't any of those. I was profoundly unhappy. And when I took a closer look, the obstacle to my happiness always came back to my weight. Every time, without fail. I was done with unhappy, and started to make changes.
Espressowhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #5  

My younger sister enlisted in the USAF and then an online friend I made began talking about how she was going through the process as well. For some crazy reason I got it in my head that I want to enlist too. This is the driving force behind my weight loss efforts although like most everyone that's overweight, I do want to lose the weight for me too. That unfortunately wasn't enough.
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

This is so weird.. but I don't know. I guess I just got tired of it? Maybe I have little reasons... My mom was cronically ill my whole life, she had Lupus and several other diseases. I have a 10% chance of getting Lupus, which isnt really higher than most other women my age (7%)... that's not totally why though. I wanted to be thinner and healthier before I had a kid. I don't want to be the fat mom. I don't want to be the prego gal that no one can tell is pregnant... ...you know? I want to be the cousin on vacation after not seeing people for 2 years that they are all 'holy CRAP!'... you know? I want to make my body as healthy as it can be so I can be around for my grandkids, so they don't have to go through the emotional stuff my kids will have to go through when I have to explain to them where my mom is. Its a lot of reasons, but not a single one was my reason why, I guess.

I guess.. there is no good reason why I was still fat. Tasty food is still tasty now, I just can't eat it all... you know what I mean?
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

Mine is a combination of factors, health is the biggest. Style has become second in my efforts. I have watched so many family members suffer and pass away from poor health choices (not just being overweight though). I know 25 is still young, but I also realized that I had let myself stay obese for 6 years. If I didn't do something, who knows, maybe I would still be fat when I hit 30? 40? Would I teach my future children my bad habits?
I suppose it is because I have a lot of open ended questions, maybe I can change the outcome even if others never see it happening for me.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I wanted to be thinner and healthier before I had a kid. I don't want to be the fat mom. I don't want to be the prego gal that no one can tell is pregnant... ...you know?

This.... I have shared that thought as well.
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I went on vacation to celebrate my culinary school graduation. Seat belt extenders, offensive comment from a friends dad, not being able to ride coasters at universal studios, ditto for go-carts, laughed at by teenagers, all within the span of a week. After this I mopped around for a few months because for the first time, I was blatantly aware of my actual size. Then i stopped feeling sorry for myself and got to it.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:319/RW:257/CW:193.0/GW:140

Height: 5'4"

For me it was seeing my doctor write down that I was "morbidly obese". I knew I was, but it didn't seem to matter until I saw him write that down. I knew I had to do something. I really didn't get serious though until a year later when he told me I have Type 2 diabetes. Now I am losing; have found this wonderful forum and am well on my way to better health!
sluggerbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

I moved to a fancy suburb about a year ago. I started noticing that all my neighbors and most people in the community are very fit. I am by far one of the biggest people around. I am the fatest Mom when I go visit my kids' school. I've been at this weight for the last 4 years or so, but my huge size has never been so obvious to me before. I am just tired of being fat. I want to to be fit and healthy.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #12  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I never did have a defining moment. This took years of built up frustration that finally got to me!There was always that thought (or dream) in the back of my head for YEARS that I wanted my fit body back. Especially after having my kids, I realized how hard it was to run with them, play with them and just get up off the couch! Plus I'm a single mother so I knew I had to be around for them, I didn't want to die young and leave them, and I just wanted to live. So tired of being tired, so fed up of dreaming about it I WANTED it. I still want it, even though I'm stuck in a rough spot right now, it's different this time because I'm better now then I have been in the last 15 years. So I will keep going

Last edited by InsideMe; 02-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #13  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I realized I had no excuses anymore. For awhile it was because I had just had kids (2 in 2 years), then it was because I was depressed, then it was stress of being a single parent 90% of the time, then because I was in the stressful process of buying a new house and making it a home. I gave myself permission to get bigger and bigger.

When my husband deployed last September I dedicated myself to the process of losing weight. I didn't want to be the fat wife and mom any longer. When he got home in January I had lost 50 lbs. Still a ways to go but I'm determined to make my goal by this summer.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 291/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 4"

Mine was when a friend of mine posted a picture of a group of us at a baseball game. I hadn't seen a full body shot of myself in a few years and it finally hit me. Also, my sister went from 151 to 108 last year and I felt like if she could do it so could I.
Shellbellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I'm not sure if I had a defining moment.. I probably read a book or something. I knew summer was coming and I had just moved out of my parents house. Something had to be done for my health. I didn't realize how large I was for my height until long after I started exercising and changing my eating.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote