3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   cholesterol levels (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/25162-cholesterol-levels.html)

gonzostar 02-25-2003 11:39 AM

cholesterol levels

they had a free testing at work today. last i remember getting tested was when i was in 2nd grade... i was too high and the doctor put me on a diet. so i thought, hey... i'll get tested and then i'll get tested along my journey and see if it goes down!

i was geared up for it to be bad - i AM 60 pounds (at least) overweight.

the target is below 200. 200-240 is borderline. over 240 is high risk.

i am 192!! :D

i was pretty happy that i am "healthy" by that standard. =) and i hope it keeps going down.

Sheila53 02-25-2003 11:42 AM

Wow! That's amazing--congratulations!

I'm getting checked in April and I'm hoping to be down, too. My doctor keeps threatening me with statin drugs and I keep saying no.

SuchAPrettyFace 02-25-2003 11:47 AM

You go girlfriend!!! Shake your groove thang! :dance:

Seriously, I'm glad to hear it. :)

Jennelle 02-25-2003 02:38 PM

Holly...I remember when I was about 40 lbs. overweight...I had lost about 15 and was eating right and exercising, trying to lose...went to the doctor for a checkup...he ran it TWICE because he couldn't believe a fat girl could have a cholestrol level of 162.

You go, girl! :D

rochemist 02-25-2003 06:03 PM

Miss Chris<--------173

YOU GO GIRL!

Goddess Jessica 02-26-2003 05:26 PM

I'm a 163. I called my mother and told her I needed some cholestrol advice, and I asked her what her cholestrol was. She's a tiny thing and she was 190. When I told her I was 163, she was so excited.

Just because you're thin, doesn't mean you eat healthy. Just because you're fat, doesn't mean you eat unhealthy.

Goddess Jessica 02-26-2003 05:30 PM

P.S. Eat 1oz of almonds everyday to increase your good cholestrol (which then carries your bad cholestrol out of your body). Your ratio of good/bad cholestrol is just as important as the actual number.

gonzostar 02-26-2003 06:15 PM

interesting. i have been having a handful of almonds lately. we're out now... i ate them all (and journalled them, no problem)... wonder if that helped?

Sandi 02-27-2003 05:09 PM

I have very high cholesteral. I'll have to check the numbers @ home. I don't remember - but it's high.

I just made an appointment to get checked again in May. We'll see how I'm doing.

Jessicca - ALmonds? No kidding? Maybe I'll have to pick some up. I need all the help I can get!!! :D

Charbar 02-27-2003 10:09 PM

Last April I had mine checked ( I just started ww) - I was at 238 - close to getting some drugs. However the doctor said that if I dieted and exercised it would improve without drugs. I'm curious as to this time.

good for you Holly - that is really excellent news.

Is it just almonds that work? I eat soy nuts (I heard they were good at fighting cancer).

Dana

Sandi 02-28-2003 09:45 AM

This is what I found on the internet. I'll definately be fitting them into my plan.

Almonds: Cholesterol lowering, heart-healthy snack

New study finds almonds significantly lower 'bad' cholesterol

Americans looking to maintain a heart healthy diet should incorporate almonds into their diet. A new study, published in the American Heart Association's publication Circulation, reconfirms a growing body of research that almonds may lower "bad" cholesterol levels and help reduce risk of heart disease.

A clinical trial conducted at the University of Toronto, found that women and men who ate about one ounce (or a handful) of almonds each day lowered their LDL cholesterol by 4.4 percent from baseline. The study showed an even greater decrease of 9.4 percent in LDL cholesterol in those who ate about two handfuls of almonds a day, indicating that almonds' effect increases with increased consumption. The study also found that all of the people in the study, both those who ate only ounce servings and those who ate more, maintained their weight.

"We found that almonds reduce coronary heart disease risk factors in a dose-dependent manner and may be used as healthy snacks without weight gain," said Dr. David Jenkins, who conducted the analysis. According to Dr. Jenkins, almonds are a good source of vegetable protein, "and the combination of monounsaturates with some polyunsaturates in nuts is an ideal combination of fats, all of which may have a beneficial effect on blood cholesterol".

Jennelle 02-28-2003 06:45 PM

Careful, though....they are FULL of fat! If I remember correctly, a WW serving of almonds was something like 10 nuts and it was worth 3 points!