Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Succeeding through Christmas... how about you?

Hey all. Just wondering how everyone is doing with all the holiday foods/baking/temptations. Anyone out there losing weight or maintaining through the holidays?

I had a restart 9 days ago and so far am doing good. No off-plan eating (my plan does not allow for cookies, starches, holiday treats, sugar...) and I am down 8 pounds (mostly water weight, since I retain a lot of water when I eat sugar). The next 3 days will be the hardest! I am baking today and tomorrow with my kids, and then we have a nice Christmas dinner that I am trying to tweak to make healthy/low carb sides for me as well as the traditional yum for the family. If I can get through the next 3 days, it should be smooth sailing (at least circumstance-wise) from there on out!

How are you guys doing?

Last edited by Lyn2007; 12-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm in about the same boat as you - on plan, not a single cheat, no starches or sugars, and down almost nine pounds. None of that was water weight, though, it was definite fat that I have lost and it is visible. Yay! My plan doesn't allow me to eat any Christmas treats or even Christmas dinner, but honestly the whole thing is very freeing, because I have my own food and plan I am not even tempted to begin. There's no choosing what and how much, just plodding forward. I thought I would feel deprived, but I kind of feel relieved the ball is out of my court and I don't have to struggle with temptation or overeating.

I think we can safely and comfortably pay ourselves on the back - good job, Lyn!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'm managing to maintain, which is what I set out to do. I have also added a few more healthy things into my usual fare. I also find it easier to maintain/lose when I'm at my fiances, as we have dessert as a treat, not like at my parents house were they always have cakes and pies around. I will be doing some baking tonight, and on the 24th. Good luck to you, and everyone else.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing great here too... I've worked out every day this month and have lost 6.5 pounds since the 1st, which is a great loss for me.

My food plan is a bit more flexible than yours, so I have indulged in a couple of treats here and there, but I've kept it at a minimum. I've done a ton of baking/candy making in the past couple of weeks, and have gotten it all out of our house to other homes as quickly as possible so that it isn't in our kitchen tempting me.

I have a friend who is a healthy weight that mentioned to me yesterday that she's gained 10 pounds this month, so even maintaining would be a great success during this time of year!
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I was having a lot of trouble getting on this site for a while here, so I let a lot of posts fall by the wayside. This one is important, though, because of what 1oftheLuvs said.

Her "healthy weight" friend gained 10 pounds this month. Well, that's what happens when several big holidays that are centered around family and eating all fall within a month of each other. We "unhealthy weight" friends have to realize how hard it is to lose under these way less than perfect situations and be a bit forgiving to ourselves. That's not to say we can give ourselves a total free pass on healthy eating. It's just a reminder to ease up on the guilt. Be glad that we're even aware of what we're doing and accept that in itself as an accomplishment.

Now my "just do it" attitude is going to kick in and I have this bit of advice to anyone who messed up a little or a lot - get back on plan right now! No more excuses allowed until Easter (or your birthday, or whatever the next big event you celebrate might be.) Then get through the event and get back on plan.

"Healthy weight people" do that ALL THE TIME. That's the difference, and we have to start doing the same. That's my resolution for 2012. Eat (and think) like a thin person. Don't beat myself up for having an off day. I think this applies to all of us - losing a lot, losing a little, at goal, maintaining - ALL of us. Let's just keep on keepin' on. Happy New Year.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #6  

I made it through Christmas. I had a "different" plan for Christmas day, which included calorie counting and carb counting and staying under a certain limit, and I did that. Now I am back on plan totally and feeling good! Hope you all are too!

Last edited by Lyn2007; 12-30-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #7  

It's been hard with all the temptations. But I try to snack on the healthiest thing at the party. And exercise every day.
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I did just as I wanted. Not a single cheat or slip. The problem is, I came down with shingles two days before Christmas and have been in debilitating pain. Diet took a backseat and food looked like a lot of effort

Fortunately I'm on the mend now, at least a little, and still on plan regardless. I'm proud of myself
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I had some gallbladder symptoms in early December. (not a full attack, however). It scared me a lot. I actually lost eight pounds during December. I think it might have been a wake up call for me. I allowed myself a taste only of any goodies or rich food. I was very careful about what I ate all month.I am grateful for the willingness to do what I needed to do.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #10  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

I'm really proud of myself! I've stayed to my plan, allowing for occasional treats, including an indulgent date-night dinner with my husband. The most important part to me is that I've accounted for everything I've eaten, which keeps me honest.

All in all, I've lost about 8 pounds since the week of Thanksgiving, and that includes 2 major holidays, a lot of houseguests, and a week where I had a slight gain due to water retention from a minor surgery. I'm calling it a victory!
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #11  

We are almost through the holidays, guys! Still succeeding?? Two more days and then we can get back to 'normal' life!

We have a family birthday so I have a cake to bake, will have ice cream in the house as well as a fancy dinner I will make, and for New Years Day we always have some special foods. We make a fruit pizza for the kids (with the sugar cookie crust) and some appetizer stuff. I won't be eating any of the sugary/carby stuff.

Jan 2 and everything will settle back down! We can do it!