3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My first attempt at a BENTO snack size :) ANTS PLAYiNG iN THE SUN (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/247492-my-first-attempt-bento-snack-size-ants-playing-sun.html)

rainbowsmiles 11-21-2011 09:39 PM

My first attempt at a BENTO snack size :) ANTS PLAYiNG iN THE SUN

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6234/6...1e5b10887b.jpg

"ANTS PLAYiNG iN THE SUN!!"

learning the art of BENTO...this is my first attempt!! i have ordered some tools of the trade...so when they come in i hope to get more creative!!

liliesinmycereal 11-21-2011 10:10 PM

So pretty!! Was it tasty?!

Steph7409 11-21-2011 10:25 PM

That's beautiful!

rainbowsmiles 11-21-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liliesinmycereal (Post 4116013)
So pretty!! Was it tasty?!

oooh yes!!! it was sooo good!! ‎

...strawberries with sugar tips, deviled ham and pimento spread, kashi sea salt crackers, cracked pepper vermont white cheddar flowers with blueberry centers and pomegranate arils, held in place with agave nectar, green onion stems and leaves, dried red currant ants!! DELICIOUS!!!

rainbowsmiles 11-21-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph7409 (Post 4116027)
That's beautiful!

thank you steph!!! like they say, we eat with our eyes first!! lol YUM!!:D

Beck 11-21-2011 10:32 PM

Great job!

Tai 11-21-2011 10:35 PM

So adorable; I especially like the flowers! Glad you enjoyed it.

butterflymama 11-21-2011 11:01 PM

Super cute :) Well done!

linJber 11-22-2011 06:18 AM

I had to google "bento." Great job! We DO eat with our eyes first, and that looks too good too mess up! I'm sure the mix of flavors and textures make it a real palate pleaser, too.

Lin

rainbowsmiles 11-22-2011 07:26 AM

@Lin....the flavors together were fantastic!! I scooped up a little of the deviled ham on to the crackers, then topped them with some of the onion....yum...i was also surprised at the flavor of the cheese with just a tiny hint of agave nectar!! mostly, i had fun making it and realizing that i don't have to eat 20 crackers with cheese or 10 strawberries, or a box of cookies to have a very pleasing snack!! :)

@butterflymama...Tai...Beck...THANKS so much!! :)

KatMarie 11-22-2011 08:00 AM

Oh wow, that's cool!

GymRat18 11-22-2011 08:26 AM

So pretty. I always thought bento was a packed lunch. Guess it works for snacks too.

Latchkey Princess 11-22-2011 06:02 PM

Are you learning from a book, website, or just on your own? I've always wanted to learn how to make cute bento boxes (never thought of applying it to snacks! how creative!) for my kids for when they start going to school, but could never find anything except pictures of already made boxes.

rainbowsmiles 11-23-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latchkey Princess (Post 4116878)
Are you learning from a book, website, or just on your own? I've always wanted to learn how to make cute bento boxes (never thought of applying it to snacks! how creative!) for my kids for when they start going to school, but could never find anything except pictures of already made boxes.

I am just learning on my own. I just google searh bento boxes for ideas...then adjust the ideas to the foods I have on hand. I started because, well, when I "used" to snack, I'd eat the whole bag of whatever....

I am learning that portion control is not just about having a teeny tiny amount of something, but that is has a lot to do with presentation. When I take the TIME to create my snack, using good food choices and making it into ART...I get the creative outlet, plus it takes a little more time to make, so I am not just gobbling some random food down in seconds, then looking for something else to eat...rather instead, I am becoming creative with what I feed my body, I feel more in control, I feel spoiled and special that I took the time to make something just for me!!

bento is traditionally a boxed meal...I just thought I would apply some of the techniques to snacks!! All snacks are not evil!! haha

In the past, this small amount would not satisfy my appetite. And would just look pitiful on a large plate. Now, I use small plates, (that red one I bought at world market) and when you slice thin, an spread it out, it appears to be more food than it actually is. Past habits, I would eat from the box of crackers...10-20 would be gone before I even realized how many I ate...now, I am fully satisfied eating smaller portions.

It does take a little more time...but hey, WE ARE WORTH IT!!

rainbowsmiles 11-24-2011 02:48 PM

my next bento attempt....in honor of thanksgiving!!
thanksgiving breakfast!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6...6ef888c6fe.jpg

bagel with cream cheese and guava jam with notches cut out, cheddar cheese, cracked pepper white vermont cheese, Deli Turkey, dried red currant eyes, and a pomegranate gobbler!! YUM!!!