Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #211  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Georgia, Thank you for your words. I needed to here that and I feel like I'm really ok. I am not on a plateau I have lost every week since I started about 6 weeks ago. I just feel differently mentally ya know. I know it's in my head and I just need to do what I gotta do to loose the weight while I'm dealing with the head stuff. I appreciate you helping me and I know I can do this, I know I can. I hope everyone is having a good Wed.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #212  

Sassy, you've lost 21 lbs - a terrific effort!!!

I believe that understanding ourselves can be a life long job. There are no easy answers and quick fixes. But self sabotage from my experience comes from me feeling "deserves" the food, the treat, the reward.....
I go through this for years!!!! Desperately want to lose weight but just continue to put stuff in my mouth......
I'm not, unfortunately, leading up to a startling answer to help you NOT do this, but maybe you need to remind yourself that there are no mouthfuls of food that are bigger/better than your desire to lose weight!!!!!
Clearly from everything you say you have the knowledge and tools you need to lose.

You can do it, and I'd also re-read some of the posts regarding starting over/blowing your diet etc etc they helped me a lot to get over the blow it today start again tomorrow mentality....who cares if you have one "bad meal", two bad meals etc etc, its all part of the on-going fight!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #213  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Sassy, you're doing great! It's easy to fall into disappointment, as easy as it is to fall into a vat of macaroni and Velveeta! Keep your victories where you can see and feel them. Make note of how good it feels to go up stairs now compared to 20+lbs ago. Or how loose the back of your pants are starting to feel. It's far too easy to let that stupid scale tell you how to feel. I can't tell you how many good days have been ruined by a step on the bathroom scale.

For me, the scale was nice this morning and I'm a happy girl today. In a very round-about way, I lost another pound. Two weeks ago, up four pounds. Just when I get it all off, then up six pounds. Then down two, then lost five since yesterday. So happy! But then again, I've been a happy girl all week, even while riding up and down the numbers. I feel good right now, happy with how well I'm taking care of myself.

What's different today is that I'm owning that loss! I was out running errands earlier. So many aromas and temptations! At one point I was at a bakery getting bread and was standing in front of my old friends, the almond croissants dusted with powdered sugar. Mmmmm, smelled good! I just stood there, smelling them. Oh dear! I am such a sniffer! Kinda feels like I have power over them now. I bid farewell to them and came home to a lunch of sardines and dandelion greens. I know, not nearly as fun to eat, but I was fine with it!

So, let's see how I'm feeling after Pilates tonight...so happy those croissants live 20 minutes away, and that basically I'm a really lazy woman! Because I'm going to be pretty hungry by then.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I just want to say I'm very jealous of you, Georgia, that you have dandelion greens available. I really love them, but it is very hard to find them here, even in the spring. My DD asked me this spring if I thought it would be possible to cultivate some dandelions to have them for salad. She lives in a nice little neighborhood of townhouses. No real yards or space for a garden. I told her she was probably the only person for miles around her that would be happy to see a yard full of dandelions and the rest of the neighbors would probably lobby to get her booted from the neighborhood.

I like them as a salad, but sometimes like to wilt them in a little bacon grease. So good.

Lin
Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #215  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hey everyone! I used to hang around 3FC a couple of years ago when I was heavy duty into weight loss. I started out at 381 lbs and lost all the way down to 178. Mostly, though, I hovered between 185-195. Right now, I'm at around 270. Something's very wrong with this picture, no?

The weight gain started when I did a study abroad program which severely hindered my ability to select healthy foods, since the meal program there was full of fried plantains, burritos, etc. Anyway, long story short, between that, graduating from college, and applying to med school, I packed on more than a few lbs up to 217. That was last year this time. This year, I'm 53+ lbs heavier. What the heck is wrong with me?

A large part of that is medical school. Not really the learning material, because I've historically done really well on my tests, but the anxiety. The anxiety of the simple fact that the test exists, the anxiety of looking stupid in front of one of the faculty members (because I'm a perfectionist)... it all makes me turn to food for comfort. While I'm at school or with patients, I act completely normal and confident and social. When I get home, however, that's when I start to overanalyze everything I've done/said that day for things I could get embarrassed about. A joke that people didn't laugh at... an incorrect answer to a question. It's like I get this horrible feeling that's eating away at me inside and I try to calm it with food. It doesn't work. All the cookies in the world can't make me feel less awkward and honestly, all they do is serve to further create a wall between me and my classmates because of my size.

Sorry, I know none of you know me, and here I am venting all of my problems to you! I just felt like I needed to release this into the universe, I guess. It's hard to talk about stuff like this when you're a medical student. People expect a lot, 'cause, you know, doctors aren't supposed to have body image issues or social anxiety. :-/

Anyway, I'll be hanging around here because clearly, because of my weight, this is the group I belong in! I'm not usually much for posting (until I'm bubbling over with emotion), but I do read! I look forward to getting to know you guys.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #216  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

I saw LindseyLouWho and thought you were me, lol. (That is a nickname of mine irl)
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #217  

Height: 5'6

SO happy right now I an 1 lb away from hitting 50lbs gone! AND Today I put on a shirt that I bought Sr. Year of high school. When I bought this shirt it did not really fit I could not button it. NOW now only can i wear it it buttons!!! I am smaller then I was Sr. Year!!! Today is a wonderful day!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #218  

Hi guys.. I feel like I am back finally!!! I feel great the scale moved more this morning. I don't record numbers unless there on my weigh in day, but so excited to see it move again and loose more! I feel good and I'm so excited about Christmas too. Were not doing any huge dinners, but a nice breakfast with my family and maybe I will make a healthy dinner since it will only be my husband, my son, and myself Christmas night. So back to topic.. Thank you to everyone that helped me get out of my rut. I needed that!! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend so far.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #219  

Lin if there was a way to send you some dandelion greens I would. I'm trying to find new ways to use them since I don't eat allot of salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
I just want to say I'm very jealous of you, Georgia, that you have dandelion greens available. I really love them, but it is very hard to find them here, even in the spring. My DD asked me this spring if I thought it would be possible to cultivate some dandelions to have them for salad. She lives in a nice little neighborhood of townhouses. No real yards or space for a garden. I told her she was probably the only person for miles around her that would be happy to see a yard full of dandelions and the rest of the neighbors would probably lobby to get her booted from the neighborhood.

I like them as a salad, but sometimes like to wilt them in a little bacon grease. So good.

Lin
Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #220  
Renaissance Woman

Lin, I'd happily send you dandelions too! Do you have a space to grow them in? If not, I wonder if they'd do well in a container garden. I've never had them in salad. We Greeks love to cook our greens in a big pot of boiling water, then dress them in olive oil and lemon juice.

Rebecca, that is an AWESOME accomplishment! I'm so happy for you!

Lindsey, so glad you can join us. We're all here for a broad range of reasons and venting is fully welcomed here. I had to figure out what it meant to not be stuck in the regret of my past decisions and how not to be mired in self-judgement before I could fully move forward. I love our group here because we're all about the journey forward, and we all share what works for us and shed the moments when we paid attention to the old messages that led us to make a choice that doesn't support where we want to be.

That's where I am today, hearing old messages about how I'm so less than what I should be. Hate it! Makes me want to drown my sorrows in all the wrong food choices! Instead, I'm trying to stay focused on things that make me feel like I'm on a forward path. I'm cleaning my bedroom, doing laundry, maintaining myself.

(I am trying to start dating again and signed up for online dating. Every man that has tried to connect with me seems sooooooo not who I want to be with! But the ones I want to connect with are not responding at all. So I'm feeling bad, judging myself for being so fat and so imperfect. I read how men are attracted to confident women, but isn't all that an illusion? I'm not sure how to pull that off.)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #221  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

All I can say this morning is thank goodness for my elimination diet.

On Wednesday I added milk back. I did not feel good at all. My belly hurt and I started to cough again. Same thing on Thursday when I tried it again. I'm thinking no more dairy for me. Friday I ate eggs and felt fine. While I had no adverse reaction to the eggs I'm going to try to keep them from my diet. Those poor caged chickens will thank me.

Friday night I made a double batch of homemade Chex Mix. All of which was off limits thanks to the diet. I didn't touch a single bite. Saturday morning I made a large batch of of chocolate chex. Again I didn't touch a bite. Saturday night I started on the reindeer noses. A round pretzel with a Hershey kiss melted in the middle and a M&M pushed into the middle. We used 8! bags of kisses. Do you know how hard it is to work with that much melted chocolate and NOT lick your fingers? I did it! I'm going to dip pretzel rods and/or marshmallows.

As for the next food on my elimination diet I did add wheat yesterday. I made a pan of spaghetti. I feel fine except for once again I am coughing. It feels different this time though so there is the possibility that I am just getting sick. I'm going back to my stripped down diet until the cough goes away and then I will try the wheat again to see if it was that or illness.

I'm really, really liking the fact that the scale is moving so quickly. Have a great Sunday everyone.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #222  

Hi ladies,
Georgia I'm sorry your feeling like this. The dating thing I am sure can be a hard one, but you will find someone your capatible with to go on a with. I hope you realize you are worth it and you can have standards too ya know. I don't want to see you settling because you don't think your worth it because you are!!

Zink I hope you get all that figured out. Seems daunting to me, but if it's working for you and your loosing that's awesome!! Good luck making all the candy. I know how you feel I have to make mine next week.

Well, I'm doing good. I had a good OP day at work and didn't cheat not even once. I didn't even like my lunch that I made, but I still ate it and stayed with the plan. We should be getting really busy soon at work so I'm looking forward to that. I love it when were busy! I have some crafts to do with my son today (love the holidays) and off to work again tonight. I hope everyone is having a great Sunday so far. Later this week I am going to go and look for workout clothes. I think I'm ready to go back to the gym. I know I know I have not been working out yet, but I plan on it I just didn't want to go buy stuff yet and I need everything. So that should be fun!!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #223  
Renaissance Woman

Thanks for the support, Sassy. I kinda overate over my online-dating angst again last night, but fortunately didn't do too much damage on the scale this morning. Did some thinking and worked through a flow of feelings and this is what I came up with...living authentically is such a joyful pleasure, and being emotionally connected to someone who doesn't value the authentic me so totally sucks, way more than being lonely. Been there, done that, paid a lawyer a lot of money to get me out of that! I deserve to be loved as I am, and I have a lot to offer. I am still learning to fully appreciate who I am. And I am who I am for me! Not anyone else! So, men who try to connect with me online who can't even put in the effort to properly spell their message are probably only trolling. Men who don't respond to messages I send them have every right to not respond. Not everyone has to want me! And I get to be picky!

I feel MUCH better now.

Zinke, I'm glad the elimination diet helped you find what was ailing you. I experienced something very similar with the dairy. Mostly knots in my stomach. This is hard, because I love cheese and cream so much. But just like getting soy out of my diet (also sensitive to that), eliminating dairy is doing me a huge favor and I'm able to lose more weight and feel so much better overall. I too am suspecting issues with wheat. I already know I have issues with rice. I get really wheezy when I eat too much rice.

Awesome job resisting the party mix! I don't know if I would have been able to resist licking my fingers. My son wants to bake cookies "for teachers" next week (yeah, right!) and I think I'm just going to let him do it all by himself. I can go entirely without eating Christmas treats, not feeling any cravings for them...unless we're in the same room together! Stupid sugar/fat/salt triggered endorphins!

I've been reading The End of Overeating this week. It triggered my inner activist. I am so angry with food scientists working for the evil food industry! I am now even more firm in my boycott of processed foods and eating in restaurant chains. They're like those drug pushers that give free tastes of weed and other drugs to people to get them hooked. There is no drug to reduce the dopamine effect of sugar/fat/salt on the brain, even if you're just smelling them. We're stuck with the struggle now!

Okay, getting off the soapbox now...
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #224  

Hi everyone!! I hope everyone had a great weekend and off to a great Monday! I'm feeling good. Up a little, but it's to be expected. I didn't overeat or anything, but right after my weigh in on Thursday Friday I weighed myself and I had lost 4 more pounds. I knew that wasn't going to stay off, but it was exciting to see it none the less.

I have to agree with you guys on wheat and dairy. I hope it's ok to talk about this. It might be too much information, but when I started almost 2 months ago I just eliminated almost anything dairy and wheat products just to jump start my weight loss. My feet didn't hurt as much I felt good, well, I have been adding a small hand full of pasta to my soups and just a dollop of sour cream to some of my foods and I feel different. When I use the bathroom (#2 ) It hurts and it didn't for so long until I added those things. I'm wondering if I'm having a reaction to it or not. Who knows, but you guys talking about it makes me wonder if I should eliminate them again and see how I feel after.

Anywhooo.. Gotta get my son ready for school. Talk to you all soon!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi Ladies, I hope you don't mind me joining your little group here. Sadly it has been sometime since I have logged onto this site. I was just needing a little pick me up to get through the holiday season and then it came to me, that I need to come back here and get back on track. I have spent the past 2 years dealing with the after math of a divorce and trying to be the best mom I can to the most amazing 4 year old. But I feel now it is finally time to make time for me. Well in all I hope to get to know you all, your posts are utmost inspiring. Thanks....
Closed Thread