Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 353/290/180

Height: 5'11"

@georgia I am glad you feel that way I hope it lasts.

@Sassy Hope you figure it out. Sorry for the grocery stresses! I have essentially just me to cook for on the day to day so that's easier. You're a champ!

@Mrs Tee - Gotta say Its not a huge thing but I enjoy that part of being obese, no one gives me catty looks or is jealous of me. I'd have a hard time with that, i'm use to being the harmless one!

Welcome to Slim and Serv...

Just puttering around the house guys not sure I'm accomplishing much but moving back and forth between the housework and surfing the internet at least its keeping me from sitting here ALL day in one position lol.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #197  

Hi all,
Quick Sunday eveing fly by!

Martini and Silent, thanks for the replies - I never had a sister or competitive mother, but have always been a large build, and NEVER felt comfortable in the " who is more attractive" stakes that we woman seem to conduct. Agreed Slient, its the part of being obese that gives me a reason NOT to have to compete...

My daughter, a drop dead gorgeous size 4(US) revels in it. She says Oh mum you KNOW you are lookin' good when other women glare at you!

Funny girl.

Martini - shop til you drop girl! All the summer clothes here have no sleeves, very sad for my dinner lady arms....

Georgie - your trainer - what a sage! Interesting that you feel the expectation of thinness, not something I have, I perhaps am the opposite, I feel annoyed because no one expects a fat lady to be smart, or organised, or articulate...and I am!!!!

Hi everyone else..talk to you all soon!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #198  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Hi guys I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. I'm struggling still with my mind set. Last night at work I was fine until right before I left work then decided I need some chocolate and cheese nips.. So annoying when I do that. I feel so guilty after and I dont know why I do it in the first place.

I must find a way to get through this block so I can continue to lose weight. I hope everyone is doing good. I have to make this short because I have a busy day. See everyone tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #199  

Mrs Tee - Funny Daughter yes, silly silly.

Martini you need to get some pants that fit stat! I was even annoyed enough at MY 24's that I pulled out my goal 22's and am wearing them they're snug but I don't have to constantly worry about them falling down when I walk!

sassy - I think its hard you work late at night for me thats when my will power is at its lowest and you don't know why you make those decisions you are tired and want a quick pick me up even though you know better you lose sight of that happens to me ALL the time. Going to the store when tired is BAD for me.

Drank a little too much last night, yeesh this is turning into a regular weekend occurance, I don't like it. It's definitely NOT going to help losing weight.

I mean I am so dehydrated I am down 5lbs even though I consumed a lot of salt and empty calories in the way of chips and/dip, that's bad.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #200  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Hello everyone. Welcome to the newbies.

Obviously, I've been hiding. The month of November was not kind to me. Or rather I was not kind to me in November. I ate everything in sight and then some and was on the verge of seeing 280 on the scale again.

I've been reading about food allergies and have decided to try a multiple food elimination to rule some things out. I started on Wednesday by cutting dairy, eggs, wheat, corn, chocolate, citrus and peanut butter. I'm down 5 pounds in 5 days. It feels like I'm eating every 2-3 hours. Good thing it is mostly fresh fruits and veggies. My craving for cheese is mostly gone although I might sacrifice my left pinkie for a piece of chocolate.

It sounds like everyone is making great progress whether it be the scale or emotionally. Hopefully I can keep my head in the *good* place and stick around for a while.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #201  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Looks like the place for me!

Just saying hi. This certainly looks like the support thread I belong in. Have to rush off to work but will come back tonight and read through the threads and get to know some of you. Hopefully I can be a source of giving encouragement as well as receiving it.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #202  

Hi ladies.. So glad the weekend is over. blah!!! I was so done with work. I did ok this weekend. I stayed with my lunch that I brought had 1 piece of chocolate and ate some avacado when I got home so at least it was a good fat right? LOL I tried to go straight to bed when I got home, but it's hard because I love to sit and be by myself on my computer watching some tv.

Misti Hi and welcome. I'll look for your posts when you get home. I'm sure you'll love this group. I know I do and I've only been here a month and a half or so. These ladies are awesome!!

Zink I think were sorta doing the same thing. I didn't "give up" dairy, eggs, and chocolate, but I limit there to the extend where I have maybe one serving of them every couple of weeks. What a difference it has made let me tell you. I just eat fruit and veggies for most of my meals. I thought no way can I do this, because like you are with chocolate I am with cheese and milk. I would cut off a body part to have it, but it's getting better. I don't crave it as much. Now if there's cheese in the house though I will snack on it until it's gone..Not Good!! Thank goodness my husband doesn't care for cheese so I can just keep it out of the house.

Nice to see the two of you guys and I hope to see more of you, or should I say less of you! See you around!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #203  

Zinke! Good to see you, I know how that goes, well I went on a different elimination diet when I was a kid to figure out what was causing my headaches, everytime I got one had to go back and remember eating lots of turkey.

Misti Welcome

Sassy Yeah I hear you on the cheese thats a hard one!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #204  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm happy to see you too, Zinke! I did the food elimination thing too to find that soy was the bad-boy in my diet. Now I'm dropping gluten and casein because I was off them for a month then ate something with both and experienced some bad GI pain. What amazed me the most was how much overeating masked the food-sensitivity issues. When I'm eating less, I don't feel the discomfort of feeling overly full and I am more aware of stomach pain from other sources.

Misti! So glad to see you joining our group. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

I took a big plunge today and am finding that it's already affecting my commitment to my goals, in a good way. I signed up for an online-dating site. Actually paid to join for six months. Had to post a picture! I decided that since I was signing up for an age 50+ site, the men there would understand that I wasn't going to be in peak performance. I could accept that they weren't going to be un-damaged, because I certainly am not. Hoped there would be less faux-perfection. So now, 30 minutes after completing the signing process, I'm feeling motivated to put together the dating wardrobe, getting my teeth cleaned, schedule an appointment to wax my moustache and figure out what I really want in a man! Definitely someone who will support my efforts to achieving optimum wellness. I already had a relationship with a husband who loved to sabotage my efforts when he felt inadequate. Don't care to go there again!

I had an indulgent weekend and have decided that I am done with the holiday socializing till Christmas. Alcohol just leads to off-plan eating and today I'm still feeling bloated since the weekend. I had just gotten off the five pounds I gained from post-Thanksgiving carbs! It's all back on, plus three more pounds. Grrrrr!

Still, I did laugh a lot and really enjoyed myself. Too bad we can't lose weight whlie that's happening! Well, I guess you can. Just depends on what you're doing!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #205  

So today is the last day of my elimination diet. Tomorrow I can add in dairy and see what happens. I'm pretty positive one of the foods I eliminated was causing my cough since in the week since I eliminated everything my cough has disappeared. So figuring out the food thing is the first positive of the week.

The second is I took the kids bowling last night. My 7yo daughter is in a weekly bowling league. I've been trying to take her bowling one extra day a week just for practice. Her first week she bowled 16 and 5. Week two she got 47 and 43. This week she got 78 and 83! I bowled one game with her and got a 113. I think that is the highest bowling score I've ever gotten.

And finally, I am back down to my low for this year. Now to keep on moving in the right direction again.

Hopefully everyone is having a GREAT day!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #206  

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
What amazed me the most was how much overeating masked the food-sensitivity issues. When I'm eating less, I don't feel the discomfort of feeling overly full and I am more aware of stomach pain from other sources.
This exactly. I feel as though I am eating nearly constantly this week. But I know I'm not eating as large a quantity at once. I might have a cup of grapes and a serving of almonds and then eat something else 2 hours later. In the past, I would have eaten a dinner size plate of pasta smothered in multiple layers of cheese followed by half a pizza 3 hours later.

I'm glad you mentioned soy. I'm thinking I might do another round of eliminations in two or three weeks. I'll add it to my list along with tomatoes and black pepper. I have a cousin allergic to both of those so they might be something else for me to look at.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 265/260/170

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone! Zinke, I found your posts about the elimination diet interesting and I hope it's a valuable experience for you. I can definitely relate to the change that happens when you're not overeating all the time--I did overeat this weekend and I felt really gross and bloated, and I realized that used to be normal for me. It was sort of nice to have it feel unusual, you know?

geoblewis, good luck with the dating site! I have heard that the dating scene for the 50+ age group is less plagued by mind games and shallow pretension than with younger people. I think when people are older and wiser they have the confidence to just be themselves, and that sort of honesty is (in my opinion) the right foundation for a relationship.

Personally, I have struggled the last couple of days. I slipped up at a social function on Sunday (ate a huge plate of french fries and felt almost sick afterwards because of all the grease) and then on Monday I ended up eating way too many sweets and going over my calorie limit (by a lot!) for the first time since I started. I felt so ashamed and discouraged, but I am trying to keep perspective. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and I can't let a couple bad days stop me.

I do need to find a way to deal with my cravings for sweets. I end up feeling out of control and I have trouble keeping to just a small, appropriate snack size. It is an emotional issue (the loss of control, the urge to binge) I am still trying to understand. I am trying to find my strength and I know I just cannot give up.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #208  

Ok guys... I have to figure this out. I do good all day and bam I eat too much last night. I don't think I'm going to loose any on my weigh in tomorrow. I got on the scale and I was still 289. I'm so bummed that I wasted another week. I feel like I'm trying to sabatoge myself, but why would I do that. I want this so bad. We did have a wonderful day yesterday, but we went out and instead of my norm I got something I shouldn't of got and then we got desert to share.. Blah.. it would have been fine if I didn't have cookies and milk when I got home too ya know? I have to get a hold on this or I will not make my new Christmas goal I have set or my new summer goal I have set. Anyone got any ideas for me?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #209  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Sassy, I'm just going to ask you a series of questions here. Feel free to answer what you care to answer, just for yourself.

How long were you on your downward loss trend?
How much did you lose during that time?
Did you track your calories?
How long have you been at your current weight?
Have you tracked your calories during this time period?
What is your RMR? (As determined by height, goal weight and age plus activity level)
Are you eating at that level or less?
When are you hungriest?
When are you not hungry at all?
Are you eating when you're not hungry?
How much do you exercise?
What kind of exercise do you do?

So now I'm just going to write some things to help you think about stuff...troubleshooting. Take what you feel is valuable to you and leave the rest.

Plateaus...hate 'em! We can usually lose something like 10% of our weight at a fairly good pace then just hit a wall. Then we lose another chunk, and then another wall. It doesn't happen like that for everyone, but a lot of people experience this.

With the weight loss we've experienced, we forget it takes less calories to fuel the smaller body. What I've been reading lately is that we may have been setting our caloric intake at levels too high to experience a weight loss. We tend to factor caloric intake from the current level of weight rather than our optimum weight. That can be up to an additional 500 calories.

So lets just say you've been eating too much to lose weight on. Think about what other things you can cut out of your diet that you won't miss. For some, they can stop putting dressing on their salads. Others can cut a whole meal's worth of calories. Get creative. If you're genuinely hungry in the evenings, then eat something. Just don't eat something earlier in the day when you're not hungry. Listen to your body.

Speaking of your body, do your clothes fit the same this month as they did last month? Because clothes can get looser when we lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh the same. I just had to get all new underwear, a size smaller. Scale has been stuck in the same spot for weeks, but suddenly, my body composition is different, people are telling me I look like I've lost more weight, and my scale is telling us all that we're all mad! Sometimes we lose fat but our cells retain more water to keep an equilibrium. This eventually passes.

Then there's just plain old stress eating. You're just getting home from a stressful day at work. Home is your sanctuary. Cookies and milk are too! Helps you undo all the tension that's built up. You have a choice to make here, keep with the formula, or find some new way to tackle the homecoming. You make have to make a whole new routine for coming home.

So, that's just some ideas. I'm sure there are lots of other bits of knowledge others have. Just stick to the course, tweak what is most important to you. And if you don't want the cookies and milk to get to you, get rid of them.

You can do this, Sassy. I believe in you!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #210  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

Goodness gracious great balls of fire!
Here I am, back at 3fc.
Before it was always about wanting to be thin, with health being the side thought.
However now, 2 things are occurring. One, my weight is creeping up closer to 300 again. My highest weight was 293, but I made a promise to myself I'd never get there again, and so far I've kept to that promise, and intend on continuing to do so.
Two, I'm getting to a point in my relationship with my boyfriend where we are discussing starting a family someday, and I am realizing that the bigger I am, the harder it will be to become pregnant. I need to be healthy if I want to have a baby, and a healthy pregnancy. (which is still a few years down the road, but I would like to get healthy first!)

I'm going back to a tried and true method, and that is one of not focusing on a long-term goal.
What I'm going to refer to as my half-term goal is onederland, and that is 76 pounds away. 76 sounds daunting, so I will focus on it in doable increments. 5 pounds. I can lose 5 pounds 15 times.

I'm going to do this with calorie counting and walking on the treadmill. Because I know it works, and I know I can do it.
Also, I will be keeping a food journal.
I. Feel. Good.
Closed Thread