3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Kefir, anyone tried it? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/242466-kefir-anyone-tried.html)

Rainbowgirl 09-05-2011 07:57 PM

Kefir, anyone tried it?

So, as part of the 17 Day Diet, Dr. Moreno suggests drinking kefir (keh-fear) as one of your probiotics. He gives a decent smoothie recipe for it and everything. You can buy kefir grains (for Canadians, I found mine in the "Natural Foods" section of Super Store for ~$3; makes 6 L) or you can buy it already made (usually in the yogurt section).

It's a fermented milk drink that is slightly thicker than milk and tastes a lot like buttermilk.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it - liked it - and has some good recipes for it?

Cheers!

Madame Souza 09-05-2011 08:05 PM

I like it! It's good and sort of sour like buttermilk. The stuff I got was thick and it seemed to thicken up as the week went by. I end up thinning it down with fat free milk towards the end of the carton. I never cooked with it though.

LittleBlueCat 09-05-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Souza (Post 4021478)
I like it! It's good and sort of sour like buttermilk. The stuff I got was thick and it seemed to thicken up as the week went by. I end up thinning it down with fat free milk towards the end of the carton. I never cooked with it though.

Where did you find it at? Which store? I've looked at Walmart and Kroger's, and haven't seen it there...
thanks --

laynapage 09-05-2011 08:17 PM

I have tried it a couple times in different flavors, it kind of has a weird taste that you have to get use to!

Madame Souza 09-05-2011 08:21 PM

I live in a rural California area where we have some nice local dairies that supply our stores. I think I got it from Olivers, which is also a local gorcery store.
Do you have a Trader Joes? I know they have it. Otherwise, if you can find a health food/ organic food store, I bet they'd have it.

LittleBlueCat 09-05-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Souza (Post 4021497)
I live in a rural California area where we have some nice local dairies that supply our stores. I think I got it from Olivers, which is also a local gorcery store.
Do you have a Trader Joes? I know they have it. Otherwise, if you can find a health food/ organic food store, I bet they'd have it.

ahhhh.... There are a couple of Trader Joe's in Indianapolis, IN. Which is over an hour away.... I will try to look at local/health stores...

So do you just drink it straight up?

Thanks!

Rainbowgirl 09-05-2011 08:29 PM

You can drink it straight up - if you like the buttermilky taste. It's not bad that way, but I think I would prefer it in a smoothie with some berries and maybe a hint of Splenda or even sugar-free jam.

Madame Souza 09-05-2011 08:31 PM

Yes, I just drink it but like I said, it is sort of butter milky, which I like. Most people I know do not like the taste of butter milk.
You can get fruit flavored ones but they are a little higher in calories. I haven't tried the flavored ones.
Rainbowgirl- Good idea about the smooties!

LittleBlueCat 09-05-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl (Post 4021506)
You can drink it straight up - if you like the buttermilky taste. It's not bad that way, but I think I would prefer it in a smoothie with some berries and maybe a hint of Splenda or even sugar-free jam.

Nope... I don't think I care much for Buttermilk, straight up... But a smoothie? That sounds much better! Would you just use Kefir instead of yogurt in the smoothie? Or would you just use ice to thicken up the consistency?

I think I'm ready to try Kefir, heard so much about it. I now just need to find it in our local store :D

LittleBlueCat 09-05-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Souza (Post 4021510)
Yes, I just drink it but like I said, it is sort of butter milky, which I like. Most people I know do not like the taste of butter milk.
You can get fruit flavored ones but they are a little higher in calories. I haven't tried the flavored ones.

I don't think the extra calories would worth it. So splenda and some berries sounds good, don't it? Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Madame Souza 09-05-2011 08:40 PM

If you freeze your fruit before you put it into a smoothie, it thickens it without watering it down.

LittleBlueCat 09-05-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Souza (Post 4021518)
If you freeze your fruit before you put it into a smoothie, it thickens it without watering it down.

Good point! How did I forget that? I'm expert in making peanut butter banana shakes. But can never get the berries flavor ones right... what's the ratio of fruit to yogurt/kefir/milk do you use?

Smiling_Sara 09-05-2011 08:52 PM

I have and it's ok.

I know it's good for you, and helps keep you regular, so that is why I use it.

I usually put half cup soymilk and half cup kefir with some frozen fruit and protein powder and blend

NCchickie 09-05-2011 09:04 PM

I love it! I don't think it tastes like buttermilk.
I think it tastes like liquid yogurt, only better!
I haven't been making room for it in my calorie count lately, though, and kind of forgot about it. Maybe I'll get some this week.
All the grocery stores around me carry it.

Rainbowgirl 09-05-2011 09:11 PM

Kefir smoothie:
Mix 1 cup kefir with 1 cup of frozen unsweetened berries, sugar-free fruit jam, and 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil. Blend until smooth.

I'm trying it later this week; should be yummy.