Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #16  
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I have stopped drinking soft drinks , diet coke was my fav. I just started 11 days ago. I stopped once before for one year. I cannot do soft drinks in moderation. All or nothing for me. The sodium seems to stop me from losing weight. I like the on the go sugar free straws to mix in my water when I want some flavor. Most of the time I am drinking ice cold water !
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My first step with soda was just getting it out of the house. I can have it when I'm eating out, but not at home. If I feel I'm getting a little to liberal with having soda's when I'm out, then I'll limit myself to 1-2 a week for a month or so until I'm back in the habit of getting water most of the time.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-11-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I recently gave up smoking. You know what's harder for me than quitting smoking? Not drinking diet soda!!! I dropped smoking, without so much as a shrug when it happened, and it's been going on a month without a thought. When I am without diet soda, I think about it constantly and wish that I had it. That isn't to say that I don't drink a lot of water. When I can, I drink 1-2 diet sodas a day. When I can't, I like to have something flavored or even carbonated water (love that stuff!!!). In any case, Mio, crystal light, iced tea, hot tea, or even coffee help me get through the cravings when I don't have the chance for a soda-but like many addictions, the urge is always there for me.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #19  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'm of two minds re: the soda problem. Obviously if you're drinking cans and cans of it a day, that's not good whether it is regular or diet soda. But that's true of most things one consumes without moderation. I confess I drink diet soda (I can't justify to myself the amount of sugar and empty calories in regular soda), not necessarily every day, and I might go weeks without having any only to have a can or two in a day, but I don't feel like it's harmed me any. I even use it as a weightloss tool sometimes, if I'm peckish between meals or want dessert but have used up all my calories, the sweetness and the carbonation helps a bit i think.

I don't find diet soda to be a trigger for me to crave other things, so it's not a problem. There are already so many things I've given up for my health and since I don't see much harm in this "vice," i've decided to pick my battles for now.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 249.4/247.4/140

Height: 5'6"

I like diet soda... I know the artificial sweeteners aren't good for me, but then again a lot of the foods I eat aren't good. I have a case of diet coke in the house right now. I don't drink it every day... just when I feel like it... usually when I feel like having some caffeine.

The only full flavor pop I ever drink is Vernors... my DH likes it, and I do too, so I still buy it. It's so refreshingly ginger ale, and I can have a little 4 oz glass of it and be satisfied. I've switched to having that after dinner while my husband has a glass of wine (which I am missing since I'm pregnant!)
Mama Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/170

Height: 5'3

I tried to read through all the comments so that I didn't leave the exact same one but I gave up.

I quit drinking soda by replacing it with carbonated flavored water from Walmart. Water, even really cold water, wasn't cutting it for me. I had to replace it with something carbonated. I've also used that seltzer water (or club soda... I don't remember) and added a little juice for flavor.

Good luck!
kwigg619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I just don't buy soda. I do like to drink carbonated water. I too have a Sodastream but I don't buy the syrups. I just use it to carbonate the water and drink it plain or with lemon or lime wedges.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #23  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

when you want to drink....do something totally "new and prideful"

Like Maybe you get down on the floor and do a one minute plank where you reflect on why you want it, why you don't really need it and how you a stronger than that glass of sugar!

Be Strong!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #24  
Shooting Star

S/C/G: 261.2/245.8/199

Height: 5'7.5"

I just stopped bringing it into the house. I won't lie; it's really hard sometimes. I had 150oz a day diet soda starting in grade school. When I get stressed out, or sad, the one thing I really really want is a diet soda! But if it's not in the house, I can't have it. I get frustrated and antsy for a bit, but it passes.

Mainly, I drink water now. I am starting to get into drinking iced tea, regular and flavored. But not artificially flavored. A woman at my work makes iced teas from basil, thyme, mullein, catnip, nettle, and many other herbs. So, I order that from her. I drink it unsweetened and it all is just wonderful. Plus there is a lot of health benefits.

I will still drink diet soda at a restaurant now and then and feel naught and decadent while I do.
StarGetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #25  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I stopped cold turkey on the first of this month and after a few days of continious headaches due to the caffine withdraws I was fine Stopped craving diet coke all together(and I used to drink 3-4 12oz cans a day). I started drinking decaffinicated tea, alot of water, or sometimes I'll make a refreshing drink by taking crystal light peach and green tea packets, ice cubs, and a little lime juice, and a little water, and use a blender to blend it...amazing
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I love soda, but I always drink diet. I have been cutting down to only a 12 pack a week though. When surgery comes around it has to be 100% gone, so I'm weaning myself off with still being able to enjoy it while it lasts.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #27  

Height: 5"5'

Kombucha! This drink is not only a delicious soda replacement, it is also incredibly healthy and very low in sugar. I drink one a day, and find that it makes my stomach calm (almost like being slightly drunk for a couple minutes), and gives me some needed energy in the middle of the day. It also helps with digestion and weight loss.

It's simply amazing. You can get it at most grocery stores. Do a Google search for "Kombucha benefits". There's an article on kombuchkamp.com -- "Kombucha as Workout Recovery Drink or Weight Loss Aid?" It has some great information.

Good luck on your soda fight!
AAAlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 317/ticker/142?

Height: 5'7"

I use Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser flavored sparkling water.... A hint of fruit flavor (the mixed berry is yummy) but without the fake sugar.
snarkysharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #29  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

I am with April. I had quit soda for 6 or so months and when I started my new eating ways I decided to allow myself the occasional soda. I drink about 3 cans a week of Diet coke. It does make me happy to have my Diet Coke with Lemon and I feel like it's a treat so I allow myself to have it. When I'm not drinking the soda I agree ice water, I have a mint plant in my window that I grab some mint from and I always have a cucumber in the fridge to slice and put it. So you just have to see what you like and try different things. I know it can be hard.
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #30  

Height: 5'5"

I found out it's the carbonation I love, so it's sparkly water for me. I drink iced tea at home but found it's too strong in a lot of restaurants so I don't usually order it out.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote