Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Biological machines are a lot more complicated than mechanical ones. We're not surprised that a factory's fuel needs vary depending on many factors (the weather, how well the building is insulated, how often people enter and leave the building, how much and what types of products are being created, what kind of trash they're producing, even the health and behavior of the employees...), so why is it so confusing that the human body can't be reduced to calories in/calories out.
I *live* for analogies like this! It truly helps clarify why it *is* as simple as calories in vs calories out, yet the subtleties of "calories in" and "calories out" are deep and little understood at this point. Of course with people, there are worlds of additional subtleties like the mind and the physiological feedback loops...

To the OP, I'd say take to heart the 3FC mantra that everyone needs to find what works for them -- and in your case, keeping it simple is likely to be best (and that's part of the mind game aspect of the complexity).

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 210/195/150

Height: 5'6"

"I desperately want it to be as simple as eating unprocessed as much as possible, eating relatively low-calorie foods, and getting some exercise regularly."

Maybe take a look at the Mediterranean "diet". This is essentially that simple. It has a focus on unprocessed foods prepared from scratch, lower fat and calories - lots of fresh veggies, fruit, whole grains, pulses and fish. There is no counting. Sonoma diet uses Mediterranean principles and is structured for weight loss (portion control and some limits on certain foods). There is a forum for Med and Sonoma dieters, new faces are very welcome!
gardenermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #33  
say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I think a lot of the more detailed, complicated, and often contradictory pieces of information are here more for "tweaking" a basic plan that, for whatever reason, isn't working. Because weight loss generally IS simple, but for some people in some circumstances, it doesn't work out that way (and really, medical science's understanding of all the factors that can affect metabolism, much less of what a healthy diet includes or does not include, is incomplete). I can think of a few examples off the top of my head.

1. Let's say there is a metabolic condition going on - insulin resistance, PCOS, a thyroid issue. In those cases, "calories in vs calories out" isn't BROKEN, but IMO, the "calories out" part can be affected by diet and those conditions. So someone with PCOS can eat a higher refined carb diet equaling 1400 calories and exercise, and even though their burn should theoretically be 2000 calories, they don't lose. It happens! In that case, some of the more complex diet advice (particular as to refined carb intake) can be useful in getting losses going again.

2. Plateaus, stalls, etc happen to most people. Again, this is an instance where "calories in/calories out" seems broken. My personal theory is that it isn't broken at all, but that sometimes, the weight loss you've already experienced causes the "calories out" part to go a bit wacky for a while. Again, the more detailed tweaking seems to come into play in these instances.

3. For some people, the calories in/calories out part works perfectly, but they find that particular foods they eat, exercises they do, etc make it harder to stick to the "calories in" part. So if eating sugar makes your sugar cravings go off the rails, it may be harder to stick to the calories in budget you've allotted yourself. A lot of the advice you'll see is really about managing that...what foods make you feel more satisfied longer, what foods trigger cravings, etc. These don't change the weight loss equation itself, they just make it easier to execute.

I think this is really the best sum-up of why there is so many detailed and complex information or discussion on some of these boards. And as with about everything in life, it is quite easy to get lost in the details. (I'm into politics, you don't even wanna know to which level most debates 'sink' when we discuss among like-minded people inside the party I am with). It's what happens when people agree about the big lines, they go find the small stuff and talk about that. Because hey... the big lines we all just agreed on.

I am glad you are more relaxed about it now Sophronia - it is super overwhelming. I want to take everything I read here to heart and do the best I can. Be the healthiest I can. But health is not just about the physical part, also about the mental part. And it looks like you are gonna have a lot on your plate. So sticking to the big lines sounds about perfect. And if you want some details, maybe make a list of 5 things you want to focus on. And if you learn something else on these boards that you want to do, switch it out with one thing already on the list so there are never more than 5 things to keep in mind when you think about your food.

Goodluck, and might I add that I think it is really AMAZING that you are raising kids on your own AND going to college AND watching your health! Seriously, not many people would take on so much at the same time. It's an incredible thing you are doing.

Last edited by philana; 08-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #34  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

The hardest part is sticking to it every single day.

No, you don't have to have a "cheat meal" or you'll binge. (Give me a break)
No, you don't have to chug buckets of water. (Rarely drink the stuff.)
No, you don't need to calculate macro's (What the h@ll is that anyway??)
No, you don't need a gym membership. (I've never been in a fitness gym.)
No, you don't need digestive enzymes, supplements or pills (Unless your Dr. RX them.)
No, you don't need fancy diet foods.
No, you don't need to spend lots of money.

Yes, you need to stick with your daily calories every day. (Cheating takes MUCH longer)
Yes, you need a good food scale and/or measuring devices.
Yes, you need to move your butt in one way shape or form.
Yes, you need to eat stuff that is good for you and not crap.

I'm living proof that none of the popular diet talk is necessary to lose weight. The concept IS simple. The hard part is doing it.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-12-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #35  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Conquer that fear girl! Look at how GREAT and AWESOME you are doing! Don't let school and life changes derail you from what you really want! It is a struggle, it is so hard, there are days where you just want to give up, but try not to fall into that trap, catch yourself and look how far you have come! You are better off now then when you started right? Plan now for when school starts. Make that committment to yourself and things will go smoothly, conquer those obstacles now. Hey the great thing is at least your RECONGNIZE the obstacles that lay ahead so you can plan! That's a good thing too. Look at all the positives you have going for you they far outweigh the negatives, girl you can DO THIS!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #36  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
The hardest part is sticking to it every single day.

No, you don't have to have a "cheat meal" or you'll binge. (Give me a break)
No, you don't have to chug buckets of water. (Rarely drink the stuff.)
No, you don't need to calculate macro's (What the h@ll is that anyway??)
No, you don't need a gym membership. (I've never been in a fitness gym.)
No, you don't need digestive enzymes, supplements or pills (Unless your Dr. RX them.)
No, you don't need fancy diet foods.
No, you don't need to spend lots of money.

Yes, you need to stick with your daily calories every day. (Cheating takes MUCH longer)
Yes, you need a good food scale and/or measuring devices.
Yes, you need to move your butt in one way shape or form.
Yes, you need to eat stuff that is good for you and not crap.

I'm living proof that none of the popular diet talk is necessary to lose weight. The concept IS simple. The hard part is doing it.
I agree with this 100%. The hardest part is just doing it. That's why so many of us have regained lost weight over the years. We simply get tired of the process and stop paying attention.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 AM   #37  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I want to add - FOR MOST PEOPLE. Again, some people with metabolic issues DO have to do some of the things you listed (controlling macronutrients, in particular). But it's more of an exception case than the rule.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #38  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I want to add - FOR MOST PEOPLE. Again, some people with metabolic issues DO have to do some of the things you listed (controlling macronutrients, in particular). But it's more of an exception case than the rule.
Sorry, yes for most people.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #39  
Sherri Lynn

S/C/G: 255/240/140

Height: 5'4"

There is a 3rd alternative. It's called death (most likely from obesity related issues)
sd0198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I've been more than 100lbs over my ideal weight for almost 20 years and I am finally moving steadily down. I don't have 5 kids, just 2, but I have PCOS and an incredibly stressful job that puts me out of my house and sleepless for days at a time (I'm a midwife in solo practice). So, those have been my excuses for a long time as to why I couldn't lose weight.

I found that counting calories strictly, setting long-term goals, and setting strict exercise routines just made me feel like a failure. It is easy to be hardcore about weight loss when you have 10 lbs to lose. But when you have 125 like I did, you can't be so hardcore forever. My life is too chaotic to be so rigid.

Here's what I'm doing now and what seems to be working for me. I try to eat healthy, to take fruit and veggies with me when I'm working so that fast food is not my only choice. I do weight watchers and try to stay within 5-10 points of where they think I should be every day. I run a little, rock climb with the kids, and walk every day with my crazy dog, sometimes pretty far. I weigh myself once a week and if I have lost *anything* I see it as a victory, then I just keep going, doing the same things. If I gain in a week, then I try to be a little bit more regimented for the next week to make sure I lose something. The weeks right before my period I tend to not lose much and sometimes I even gain weight, but the other weeks I usually lose 2-3 lbs. It has averaged out to only about 1 lb a week. I would love to lose more, but after a year of doing this I'm nearly 40 lbs down and being under 200 lbs seems like it is possible again.

You can do this. You might even find that beginning this journey doesn't add to your stress but helps you to manage the rest of your life better. I feel better with a healthier diet and a little bit of exercise than I did before.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I think it's important to just START and then keep trying. Do what works for you, and when it stops working, do something else... but don't give up.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #42  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, Sherri! What a bright thought! =) Ironically, when you were writing it, I was at a doctor's appointment getting blood drawn to test for diabetes because I keep having kidney / urinary tract issues.

Defenestrator, I have embraced that philosophy. Just trying. And improving. And hoping for the best.

Lyn, you're totally right. It's not about figuring it out perfectly. It's about being aware and continuing to try. Week #2 of school. So far, not figured out the perfect method. Have lost weight, but it probably won't be sustainable. But am continuing to make progress!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

I've been tracking calories/exercise with an app on my phone since I started last October... Over the past 10 mos there have definitely been times when I felt like I needed to do other things to get the scale moving (ie lower carbs, different exercise, etc) or wondered why it didn't seem more scientific.
This morning I noticed I could track my data and create a report for the entire 10 month period. I did, and realized that if I did the math-added the 2 lbs/week I had it set for, take the additional calories saved and divide them into lbs and add to the total), I was within 5 lbs of my total weight loss, which is actually pretty accurate.
My take on this-it may be more scientific over time than it feels like on those weeks we don't see the scale move.
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #44  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

I love this forum because of the general wisdom I find. I benefit from others' stories of their struggles (just like mine) and the suggestions offered by others on the site.

I count calories and ignore the forums for eating approaches that aren't relevant to me.

As others have said in their replies to you, the KISS approach seems to work best.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

That's the thing...it doesn't have to be sooo completely thought through. I eat what I want. Just less of it. I don't eat just unprocessed food, or fat free food, or sugar free, etc. I just eat what I did before...but less of it. And I add up the calories as I go.

What's your favorite food? Then eat it. By half. Or by a fourth. Know how many calories it is and plan on it. Not every day maybe. Maybe every other day. But it must fit within your calories. If I want a burger, I have it. I eat maybe 8 french fries (if any). I will then have fewer calories left in my day, but then eat a salad or a weight watchers meal later on.

Sure....I could eat healthier foods, but not depriving my self in an extreme way works for me. And because the calories are limited I do naturally eat more salads, etc. to fill in what calories I have left.

Surgery was a possibility for me too at one time. Then I took the classes, met the doctors and knew for me I had to change my thinking. It wasn't about physically changing me. I need to practice discipline in my life and change my thinking.

This is simple. Try one day and eat your favorite food, by maybe half. Figure the calories into your day.

If I can do this, so can you. Trust me.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote