Got rid of the cupcakes!

• So, our receptionist brought in cupcakes today. Like 30 of them - for an office of about 7 people here today. What the heck? And since virtually everyone here (including her) is vocal about being careful about their calories, it seems crazy.

So, knowing that I would be working very late tonight, I asked her if she would take them home with her. No way! "I'll eat them or my daughter will, and we don't need that." So I asked her if I could give them away. "Of course!"

Our cleaning crew usually comes in at 6. (This isn't my first night working late!) I planned on giving them the rest. And as it got later, I worried that I might have to alter my strategy. I plotted how likely I would be to even consider pulling them from the bathroom trash, and decided that would be my go-to scenario, and they finally came at 6:45! And took them! And now my office is cupcake-free.

Yay! Too much energy to consume on cupcakes. I think if I was farther into my journey, I would have just tossed them immediately. (I've never been able to resist the call of free, available food very well, and it just makes me crazy to try.) But this worked.

And now back to my brief - still haven't given up hope for a late-night walk!
  • Right on!
  • Good strategy. Way to go!
  • Good job!
  • GREAT way to handle the problem. There is still a very big part of me that hates to throw food away. Glad you resisted. Glad someone enjoyed them!

Lin
  • That's great! Great that you had a back-up plan as well. Self control rocks.
  • great job!!!

I'm another who hates to throw out food, even when I don't want to eat it, so it was nice that someone who could enjoy it was able to (and they work so hard cleaning, they can afford those calories!)
  • Awesome!!

Still baffled why someone would bring such a treat (and so many) to an office that is trying to be careful!
  • One of the BEST parts about working for myself is that I'm FINALLY rid of the darned BREAKroom. As a teacher, we used to get stuffed with cookies, cupcakes, bagels, candy, pretzels... you name it. And I could never walk by the table without one... okay two.. oh ****, why not three... at a TIME!

GOOD job! Amazing strength. Especially as you're putting in long hours... oy the temptation! You have steel will, my friend. And I'm sure the Cleaning Crew was happy to be included in on the sweet feast.

-Kiki
  • WTG!!!
    You did good...that was a lot of cupcakes.
    I would have to go hide in the bathroom and have a meltdown if that had been me!
  • WOOHOOO!!!! Thats an awesome NSV.
  • Quote: So, our receptionist brought in cupcakes today. Like 30 of them - for an office of about 7 people here today. What the heck? And since virtually everyone here (including her) is vocal about being careful about their calories, it seems crazy.

So, knowing that I would be working very late tonight, I asked her if she would take them home with her. No way! "I'll eat them or my daughter will, and we don't need that." So I asked her if I could give them away. "Of course!"

Our cleaning crew usually comes in at 6. (This isn't my first night working late!) I planned on giving them the rest. And as it got later, I worried that I might have to alter my strategy. I plotted how likely I would be to even consider pulling them from the bathroom trash, and decided that would be my go-to scenario, and they finally came at 6:45! And took them! And now my office is cupcake-free.

Yay! Too much energy to consume on cupcakes. I think if I was farther into my journey, I would have just tossed them immediately. (I've never been able to resist the call of free, available food very well, and it just makes me crazy to try.) But this worked.

And now back to my brief - still haven't given up hope for a late-night walk!
    Good for you! i am an elementary teacher and everyday i have kids from other classes/grades who come around with cupcakes, cookie cake, etc and i have to take it from them and it is so hard... sometimes 2 or 3 kids will come to my door.... i used to just leave them on my desk and throw them out at the end of the day.. now i pick one of my student's to give it to...

i hear you on throwing things out though and then fishing them out of the trash.. been there done that many, many times before... good for you for not doing that!!