Ground Flaxseed

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I wanted to start adding flax seed to my diet. Read that it needs to be ground, and that it can get rancid after grinding, so do small batches and refrigerate. I need to look up how long it lasts in the fridge, but my question is to anyone already doing this. What about the excess ground flax seed in the grinder? Will this get rancid? I washed out the container that catches it, but there is a trace amount in the grinder area, do I need to worry about it? Will it go bad and then infect my next batch?
  • Hi Sandi! I recently started adding flax seed to my diet too. I had the same problem-the left over residue in the grinder. It became such a pain. So I ended up buying a mortar and pestle to grind the seeds. I know they can get pretty fancy but I just bought a simple one at Walmart for like ten bucks. Its a lot easier to clean. Hope that helps!
  • I just buy Bob's Red Mill ground flaxseed. It is in the refrigerated health food section and is not expensive. I keep it in the fridge and have never had it go rancid.
  • Quote: I just buy Bob's Red Mill ground flaxseed. It is in the refrigerated health food section and is not expensive. I keep it in the fridge and have never had it go rancid.
    Me too. I have kept it for 6 months and haven't had it go rancid.

It is true that the flaxseed has to be ground in order to receive the omega's, but I like to keep some whole to put on top of breads or muffins, it looks nice and adds a little "ruffage" lol
  • WOW...I feel sooooo stupid reading this. I've been using Hodgins Mill Ground Flaxseed for years and NEVER KNEW you had to refrigerate after opening. I just read the package and it does indeed say to REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING. I guess I'm just full of years worth of RANCID flaxseed!

But really....given the above info, I've never got sick and I've used it after having it in my cabinet for over 6 months! I pretty much use it in all my baking needs wherever flour is used (even in my homemade toll house cookies...YUM!).

That said...I'd say go ahead and eat the rest for as long as it doesn't smell bad.

ETA: Just put my opened box in the frig. Thanks for the info!
  • Ooooorrrr you can just buy it already ground up! Haha!

Thank you ladies-I didn't even think to look and see if I could buy it already ground. I'll have to buy some of that when I'm done with the bag I already have.
  • I grind mine in a coffee grinder, I just rinse it out, there's nothing left.
  • i bought a thing of Bob's Red Mill ground Flaxseed for about $2 at Walmart. It says on the package you can use 1-2 tbsp in your oatmeal,cereal,shakes,when you bake..etc..just about anything! :P
  • I eat whole flaxseed. It tastes better. Any reason not to?
  • Does anyone eat it cooked like oatmeal? I saw that on a low carb page and was thinking of trying it when the weather cools off.
  • Sandi, I also buy my flaxseed already ground. I store 1 Cup at a time in the refrigerator, (in a jelly jar) and keep the rest in a freezer bag in the freezer. I usually only use about a Tablespoon a day. I just had to pull out the freezer bag this morning for our smoothies and it tasted just as good as the day I bought it.

Oh and Ubergirl, in whole flaxseed, the endosperm is not digestible, so unless you chew it very carefully, many of the seeds will pass right through your body without being digested...therefore not releasing any of the nutrients into your body. It really needs to be ground.
  • Quote: Does anyone eat it cooked like oatmeal? I saw that on a low carb page and was thinking of trying it when the weather cools off.
    Yes, it is delicious in oatmeal.
  • Chia seeds are another option, they don't need to be ground to be digestible.
  • Quote: I eat whole flaxseed. It tastes better. Any reason not to?
    Yes, you do not receive the benefits of the natural omegas. You can google it.
  • Thanks for asking this questions, Sandi. I buy ground flax seed, but will start keeping it in the frig,

Lin