Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #16  

Kitty,

I just want to say I'm proud of you and your ability to stick with this! 30 pounds since August is amazing. It's encouraging to see someone who is consistent and successful.

Thanks for modeling what I want to be!

Angi
Old 01-18-2003, 01:02 AM   #17  
Catwoman

Thankyou so much Angi 30 pounds sometimes doesn't seem alot compared to some of the awesome achievments of some of the ladies here but I'm proud of it all the same. I just never gave up and never will give up till I lose the next 40. It takes a long time but over the months you do see a difference and boy do I feel a difference. People are finially starting to notice and say how good I look. It's wonderfull to be noticed after a 6 months slog. You keep at it Angi, by never giving up and trying and working at it you will succeed,
Thanks again ,

Kitty

Going to get an after picture taken soon then will post the before n after, was too depressing to post just a before pic!
Old 01-19-2003, 04:00 AM   #18  

Talking Y'all may have seen this..

but if not, have a chuckle

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through
the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales there arose such a
number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a
lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The punch and the candy, the bread and the
cheese
And the way I'd not said, "No thank you,
please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with
dirt---
I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"
So--away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and
chip
Every last bit of food that I like must be
banished
"Till all the additional pounds have vanished. I won't have a cookie--not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or
pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #19  
JML
Success Story!!!

I am having the weirdest week. My schedule's been hectic because I had several Dr.'s appts this past week, physical therapy, and fittings for contact lenses, and a few errands. I had some long days. The hand Dr. told me to stop my ibuprofen for a week and try a more powerful medication this week. One of the side effects is supposed to be weight gain, but if our scale and tape measure do not lie, it looks like I'll have lost 5 pounds by this coming Tuesday weigh-in. We'll see if it changes or goes up once I get back on my usual ibuprofen. Weird though. The medication is called methylprednisolone. That and running around to various appts is the only thing that has changed.

I'm excited to be nearing my goal. I will definitely post an after picture once I get to goal. I'm doing a slow makeover thing as I get there. I'm working on getting contacts right now. When the Dr. first put them in, I saw my face for the first time without glasses. It was neat, but now I know I need to pluck the eyebrows. I just need to figure out which hairs need to go. I'm not good at this sort of thing. I never did it before because I saw no point in enduring pain for the sake of beauty. However, I found that if you put conditioner on your brows, and stick a steamy cloth on them for a minute before plucking, the hairs are not painful to pluck. They do pinch a little, but not too much. I read that some people use a topical anesthetic like babies' teething gel to numb the area first, but I don't need that. I was thinking I might even get my ears pierced sometime this spring. We'll see. It's kind of fun to think of my weight loss journey as a three year makeover. This is my 3rd year of weight loss.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:02 PM   #20  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Jeanne - I HATE to pluck my eyebrows, but it makes such a difference. I always have mine waxed when I get my hair cut. Maybe you can treat yourself to a waxing and then just keep up what they do. It'll be a great way to get started.

anagram - how did you know??

Kittymilk - you should be very proud!! I know I am. 30 lbs is awesome!!!

Angi - your going to get there! I know you will!!

Goddess J - Your are so right! You are a cutie! And the dogs are great! I wish we could have pups, that would be such great exercise, but hubby is allergic. And thanks for what you said on the motivating you thread. That made my day!

Suchaprettyface - Sorry to hear about your diognosis. We'll do everything to help you stay with your eating program. Are you going on the reanl diet that anagram spoke of? What is that exactly?

Gonzostar - as far as the exercise. Tired, no time, then start slow. Say this week I am going to exercise twice. You can do that, right? And next week exercise twice again or increase it to 3 times. Whatever it is do something and stay consistent. You'll get your groove back!

soiley - Ditto for you as far as the exercise.

Come on girls! Let move our butts!! They need it!!

BA - you are so right!! Planning is the key. 110%. I do my worst when I have to make on the spot choices. And I agree that going on Paxil is something to be proud of. You are taking control of your life. How can that be anything but a good thing?

Kayla - That corporate run sounds great!! Gives you something to shoot for!! Gooooo Kayla!!

Dana - Have fun on your vacation missy!!

Kim - What food plan are you following? I find I do better when I have a plan. Kinda like what BA was talking about.

Me? I am doing well. Made waffles this morning on my new waffle maker. Knew that would put me over, but plan to have a good rest of the day. That plan is going so-so. I should have never started.

I found a eating disorder clinic in my area. I have an appointment to go there tomorrow and see the psychologist. Can't wait. I think maybe this is jsut what I need.

I also saw my OBGYN and she said I should be at 250 before I try and get pregnant. Last time I saw her she said 199, so 250 is much more doable. SO maybe I'll get pregnant this year!!!!

Everyone have a great week. This week will come and go no matter what and it's up to us to either weigh more or less at the end of it. I vote for less!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:32 AM   #21  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Jessica: You're adorable! I love your doggies!!!

Anagram: My grandma had the transplant December 10, 1974. The kidney was from her younger sister, who died of cancer in 1989. My grandma is doing ok, considering she will be 80 this December. She's in some pain & has trouble getting around sometimes, and her hearing is going, but kidney-wise she's fine. She went to Mayo Clinic to have everything done, she still goes there at least once a year to be checked out. She said, "Oh, nooo" when I told her about the diagnosis. I hadn't told her about the HBP until now.

My dad is a moron. I'm sorry, I love him to pieces, but he doesn't take care of his health like he should. He smokes like a chimney, so does his wife. He'll be 48 in September, and doesn't need a transplant so far. As for his diet, he pretty much eats whatever he wants, whenever he wants, always has. One of his favorite meals is a bacon double cheeseburger w/the works & then he brings it home & sprinkles it w/garlic pepper. My dad wasn't happy to hear I inherited his kidneys, he called me the day after I'd called my grandma. I told him about my HBP & he kept asking me why I was on the Pill in the first place. "Um, because you're too young & good looking to be a grandfather"

Have you been to this site?

http://www.pkdcure.org/home.htm

They sent me an overwhelming packet of information. By overwhelming I mean scary. What type of renal diet is your dh on? According to the info I got from that site, there was a woman w/PKD who had 15 children, only 7 of whom wound up w/PKD, so it's a horse apiece, I guess. The ultrasound technician told me that if I have an ultrasound during any pregnancies I have, that I will have to let them know about the PKD, or they will "freak out", thinking something is wrong w/the baby. She gave me a lot of info, actually. I liked her.

Jeanne: $8-$15 for an eyebrow wax around here. WELL worth the $$, mostly b/c I have a tendency to overpluck. Right now I am letting them grow back in, lest I have to use Rogaine on a Q-tip to get them to grow back! How exciting for you to be so close to your goal!!!

Sandi: Thanks, hon. I won't know anything until February 11, that is my next appt w/the nephrologist. He took blood & urine in addition to the ultrasound, so I'm sure he will know the right thing to do.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:48 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i always get my eyebrows waxed.. then pluck to keep the shape up until it gets out of control agin.

hmm, may need to get my butt back in there...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:29 AM   #23  

Such a Pretty Face, thanks for the web site. Had not been there yet but P.A. at dialysis center had printed some stuff out for me. Scary indeed. His nephrologist has not yet talked to us. I feel we've sort of been informed in a callous, round about way. I found out about the risks to my children and grandchildren in the dialysis waiting room from a pamphlet thrust at me by the well meaning social worker. That was just a few days ago and I'm still in denial. Scary is a good word but I'm hoping there will be more positive developments before you, my kids and certainly my grandkids reach your Grandma's point.

I'm so glad your Grandma is doing well after all these years. And I know you won't go your Dad's route. Sounds like he's in denial, as well.

One thing has me confused. My husband is 72 years old, has had other CT scans, etc. done and this subject has never come up. My dd has had kidney stones, etc. young, has had many scans and and ultrasounds (infertility, then two pregnancies etc.) and nothing came up before. While he was hospitalized recently, the radiologist told us he had Polyarteritis Nodosa affecting his kidneys (no bargain either as to heredity so my kids already know they need to be tested). Please let me know (by p.m. if you prefer) after you talk to nephrologist.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #24  
JML
Success Story!!!

Jacob's Mommy - does it hurt to get them waxed?

Thanks gonzostar and suchaprettyface for the advice. Where do I go? A hair salon? I didn't know you could get something like that done for a reasonable price. I'm kind of new to this kind of thing. My teenage sisters call me a "cave woman" because I'm not heavily into makeup and spending hours on my hair. I don't even wear makeup every day. I don't think I could spend as much time as they do on a daily basis. They will not even eat breakfast unless every hair is brushed, curled, sprayed, etc. Ah-- the teenage years.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #25  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'm back to being motivated this week. I went to a running store over the weekend to purchase a real pair of running shoes since I've been run/walking in a really bad pair. It cost me over $100. I thought I was going to die. The Cute Boyfriend just looked at me and said, "But you're worth it.... and you're going to keep exercising right?" I laughed. Of course I am!

Sandi - I had no idea you wanted to get pregnant. I guess I always assume kids are a suprise that you try to prevent I never think of people actually trying to have more. How many are you aiming for?

JML - I think plucking hurts more. Plus, you get this great atvantage of having an expert shape them.

SuchaPrettyFace - Sorry to hear about your kidneys. A friend of mine had some weird rare type of cancer and he needed a transplant. He's doing super fabulous now. Keep us posted.

KittyMilk - I'll take that 30 pound loss if you don't want it!

School starts this week! I'm so excited!!
Old 01-20-2003, 01:54 PM   #26  

JML---

most hair salons have a few people who can wax. not supercuts or great clips, but anything above that.

my friend cuts my hair, so i don't go to the same place everytime. sometimes you can tell from the yellow pages if they wax, or just make a quick phone call. most places are 8-10 dollars.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #27  

Default Exercise video!

i did my first exercise video. i sweated a lot more than i have been on the exercise bike.

we were jumping around like crazy people!! ---->

and i kept getting seriously tired and losing my balance and all that.

if you couldn't tell, it was great!!!!!

it'll take me while to master it. it's an old kathy smith video i got at half.com. man, do i want her tummy. and butt. and thighs. yowza.

i have 4 more in the mail! i'm so stoked.

can't wait for my weigh in tomorrow morning!!! i am very optimistic!

Last edited by gonzostar; 01-21-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #28  

Holly,

I tried an exercise video this week too-Leslie Sanson fifteen minute one mile walkfit video. I'm embarassed to say my legs were killing me...I also had been using an exercise bike for my exercise, and figured I needed something that would actually work up a sweat. I was drenched and feeling gross, but I finished it. Pathetic, it's only a fifteen minute work out and I was dying at the end. Oh, well, I"m starting from a negative fitness level...

Best of luck,
Sherry
Old 01-22-2003, 12:08 PM   #29  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Jeanne:

It hurts for about 30 seconds. You should bring along some Neosporin w/pain relief to slick onto the freshly waxed skin, or you will be sorry when the air hits your skin as you walk out the door. I was also told that almost everyone is allergic to the wax, so be prepared for small pink bumps.

You can call up almost any salon, they will do it. Not Supercuts or Cost Cutters, but the nicer ones.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #30  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hey Girlies, sorry I've been missing.

I want to preface this post by saying I'm a Christian, and had a pretty deep day yesterday, but a lot of the things I discovered had as much to do with my faith as my journey on weight loss.. so I am including it in my post. If reading things from the Bible offends you, feel free to just skip over those parts.

I'm feeling really excited today because yesterday I spent my day at home thinking about what I need to do to really be able to accomplish something. What struck me was reading over my notes from a youth leadership conference where someone was talking about becoming a Christian for the first time. It was neat because he was saying how as Christians we can struggle with "well I became a Christian, and it says that I'm a new creation, so why am I still sinning and struggling with the same stuff as before I became a Christian?" He
specifically referenced II Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!". What he brought up was that our IDENTITIES change (aka we become children of God) but we still have the same MIND. So what we are challenged to work on is changing our minds. I realized that I can WANT to lose weight and have a list of great reasons, but if I don't change my MIND and my thinking patterns, I will never succeed at losing weight. As much as it stinks, losing weight is a FULL MIND AND BODY commitment. You can't do it halfway. You have to throw your whole self into it. That was a real revalation to me. And you know what? It worked. Hopefully it will keep working. I weighed in this morning 3 lbs LESS than yesterday. Hooray!

I have discovered that I need to work on my self esteem. I started by spending a lot of time taking care of "myself" yesterday with the things you don't do every day - like really shaving in the tub with shaving cream and everything - and I painted my toenails purple. I also shined my sink (for you Fly-Lady familiars). This morning I took the time to do my hair, take care of my skin, and put on some light makeup and some earrings. I'm also wearing my favorite dress socks which have Tigger on them (I LOVE Tigger.) I've decided to have a focus verse and develop strategy for how to do with cravings that don't come with hunger. I can be completely not hungry or full, but still want to EAT for some odd reason. So when I want to eat but I'm not hungry I could.. walk a lap of the building (inside at the moment), send an email to someone, look up a bible verse, write a list of what I'm craving and why to try to identify my "Triggers", or repeat my focus verse which is Phillipians 4:13 "I can do EVERYTHING through HIM who gives me STRENGTH."

Did I have a perfect day yesterday? no, because it went completely the opposite of how I had planned. It's very hard for me to have control of myself when my environment spins out of my control. I was only supposed to be home half the day, so of course during the afternoon I snacked. A lot. But I didn't go over my points which is the good news!

I am working on helping myself learn to love myself more, becase no matter what, I am worth it. I also took the time to dedicate my journey to the Lord because Proverbs 16:3 (my verse for the day yesterday) says "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

I feel so powerful today, I know I can do this.
Closed Thread