3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Hi there-Newbie here (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/23846-hi-there-newbie-here.html)

medicwife 01-16-2003 02:00 AM

Hi there-Newbie here

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for awhile, and just became a member to the forum. I just thought I would introduce myself and say "hi".

My name is Shel, am the wife to a paramedic and the SAHM to a beautiful and active 2 year old little girl. We live in the SF Bay Area.

I went to the doctor's office last week for asthmatic bronchitis, and when I stepped on the scale, there it was: 232 lbs. , officially 100lbs overweight. Fortunately, my doc ran blood tests on me a couple of months ago and everything came back within normal levels (a relief since I had gestational diabetes and was concerned about developing type 2). So, after discussing with him what to do, he suggested a low-carb and low-fat diet. Exercise is an issue since I have a non-operable ruptured disk in my back (I have disk matter free-flowing in my spinal canal and surgery won't help with the pain). But, I am riding a stationary bike 1/2 hour each day, since it seems like it's the only exercise I can do where I can walk afterwards. So, here I am.

I haven't started a plan yet. I am still researching which one to do, but I have narrowed it down. I've tried WW in the past with some success (lost 40 lbs.), but I just am sick and tired of counting the points (plus public weigh-ins). Tomorrow (1/16) is my 34th birthday, and I have decided to give myself a lifestyle change as a gift. I will choose tomorrow which plan I am going to use and go from there.

I look forward to learning more about all of you, and look forward to your support. As someone said, we'll be here for awhile, so we will have a great network of friends to lean on and give support to.

Talk to you all very soon!
Shel
:gift:

rochemist 01-16-2003 06:57 AM

Happy Birthday and Welcome!

Miss Chris

back2thin 01-16-2003 08:31 AM

Hi Medicwife (Shel)

Happy Birthday :hb:

I would say Welcome but I have only been here two day myself. It sounds like you and I came to the same decision about life style changes. I just decided yesterday to try and follow the WW Point system but modified for me. I am hoping to start out with this and then move on to just a life style eating habit once I get some weight off. I figure this will be a long slow process, since no one has offered a magic wand that will just melt the pounds off over night. Anyway I wish you much luck with your endeavor and hope to get to know you better.

Raelynn 01-16-2003 10:11 AM

Welcome and happy birthday! :)

BA99TJ 01-16-2003 10:31 AM

Welcome Shel and so glad to have you! Jump right in, this is an awesome group of ladies!

BTW - I LOVE YOUR signature quote. Its going on my motivational quotes list!

snowball1 01-16-2003 10:42 AM

Welcome & *happy birthday!* This is a wonderful group :)

soiley 01-16-2003 12:17 PM

Happy Birthday and Welcome!!! What a wonderful birthday present to give yourself, a subscription to this board. Great people are here.

I too had gestational diabetes while pregnant (33 yrs ago) but within the year of having my son (and not losing weight but gaining it) I had for real diabetes. Now I'm on insulin and have to fight for every ounce I lose, also have neuropathy and other complications. I look back at that time and wish someone had laid down the law about what would happen to me if I didn't take care of myself. So good luck to you. You can do it!

Sandiemcr 01-16-2003 12:33 PM

Welcome, and Happy Birthday, Shel! I also have an inoperable ruptured disc in my back. It was a gift from falling off scaffolding with many boxes fallling on top of me.. about 16 years ago, at Sears. Nothing like it eh. I find, the stronger I make my stomach muscles, the better it is on me. It's my bottom two discs that are ruptured. I also have arthritis, and am concentrating on strength training right now. Muscle holds things up and together better. It also pulls things more into position. The bike is hard on me. The "Y" has the lean back sorta lifecycles... and I can use those. No pressure on the back. Regular stationary bikes tend to make me unhappy. :)

Anyway.. if you get frustrated with the whole back thing.. let's chat. I understand.

Sandie

AngiKL 01-16-2003 01:28 PM

Hi Shel, happy birthday and welcome!

Congrats for choosing to be healthy! Most of us figure our birthdays are a day of unbridled eating. But we deserve better!

I'm glad you joined us,

Angi

SuchAPrettyFace 01-16-2003 01:47 PM

Welcome! Hope you have a wonderful birthday!! :D

Grandota 01-16-2003 10:47 PM

Hi,
Happy Birthday, what a great present to give yourself. I have successfully logged on as of five minutes ago. I am starting tomorrow. You seem to know what you want. Much success!

Grandota

fractured_miss 01-17-2003 09:55 AM

I, too, have ruptured discs in my back from a bad car accident a few years ago. I met with a personal trainer who told me a few things...

1. WALK, walk, walk everywhere!!!
2. ab work - crunches, cross lats, everything
3. yoga
4. pilates
5. swimming

These seem to be the top five exercises that will help you lose weight, strengthen your back muscles and actually restore some nerve connections (he had the proper name for them but I cannot remember it as this time) around the ruptured disc. He also said more people use back problems as an excuse to not exercise. I know that has been my excuse for a long time.

Low impact aerobics was also suggested but that can be a bit too jarring. I have found jogging to hurt a bit but my back feels better a few hours later if I make myself stretch and apply a heating pad. Good luck everyone!!! :)

Sandi 01-17-2003 12:17 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! And welcome!! Be sure to let us know what plan you pick!