Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 06:36 PM   #1  
hot mom wanna be!

Default did you see Oprah today?

I was off today from work and saw Oprah's show. She had women on there who weighed between 300-450+ pounds. They followed some of them around for the day watching them eat the equivalent of three or four breakfasts, lunches and dinner. I felt bad for them but then realized I WAS 313 just under two years ago myself! They also asked people on the street what they thought of obese people. Some said they felt bad for them but why dont they do something about it? Others said fat people stink
and why dont they wash between their rolls of fat?? That really upset me and kind of motivated me at the same time. After seeing these women, me "only" needing to lose 88 pounds now sounds like nothing compared to needing to lose 300 pounds!!
They did show one woman who was once on Oprah and morbidly obese. She has since lost 300 pounds and looks great. She said she did it in ONE YEAR!! I wonder if she had surgery? How else is it possible?

anybody else see the show? any comments on this??

laura
Old 11-06-2002, 06:52 PM   #2  

I did watch this today and I can relate to how these women feel. I still need to lose 170+ pounds....yikes.....but I gotta take it in small steps I didn't get fat overnight. I'm actually glad Oprah threw this into the mix it motivated me.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:11 PM   #3  

I loved it. Oprah kept saying, "It's not about the food. It's 300 pounds of pain." Oprah gets it.

Angi
Old 11-06-2002, 10:49 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am going to try and tape it tonight. I always watch her show, hoping it's about weight and when I see it she has dumb stuff on.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:14 AM   #5  

The gal who lost 300 lbs. says she did not have surgery but "went to meetings and got support"--I sensed she went to OA, especially when making references to a "higher power", etc. She sure looked great, didn't she?? It just seems sort of extreme to lose that much weight in a year...that's about a pound a day!

Barb
Old 11-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I missed it, but I caught Oprah's "After the Show" on Oxygen. That was pretty good.

I wish I'd seen the show. Does anyone know where I can get a copy? I'm in need of some motivation right now.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:32 AM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I just happened to catch it. Serendipity I guess. I was flabbergasted. My favorite part was when one of the women was crying in her car about something and she pulled into a drive-thru and ate and calmed down. How many times have a shoved something into my mouth without caring because I was stressed!

I was a little peeved at the sister though. She totally did not GET IT. She was all like, "She just needs to stop and get off her butt." Oprah tried to get her to understand by correlating it to alcoholism but the chick was just oblivious. I'm not sure if she was concerned for her sister or just embarrassed by her.

Anyway, it was a great show.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 AM   #8  
it's always something

I really wish I had seen it. I can never seem to catch Oprah when she has weight related shows.

The transcripts are for sale on the oprah website. I don't think that would have the same impact as watching it, though.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:46 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

I think I got it on tape last night. I'll check tonight.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Well, I saw it last night. WOW!! Sure makes you re-evaluate everything. Needless to say, I'm on plan today.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Ba-bing! Found it, Jen!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:41 PM   #12  

Does anyone know where you can buy a tape of that show? I didnt see it and wish I had..

IsabellaMay
Old 01-10-2003, 12:31 AM   #13  
Searching

I saw the show and thought about how lucky I am that I have finally found a forum where people understand how I can make blockers, eat my feelings, eat till I make myself sick, eat because I am bored, and obsess over my eating. The support I have found at 3FC is overwhelming and I am so grateful. The women on Oprah spoke to me and it really hit home how easy it is to just keep going till you reach 300+.

Miss Chris
Old 01-12-2003, 09:18 PM   #14  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for bringing back up.
Closed Thread