Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Killing myself with food - it's got to stop

I've been trying to lose weight for years, I seem to lose a few lbs and gain them back plus a few more. I now have high blood pressure, am borderline diabetic with numbers rising, and just feel like crap. I have problems with my blood sugar dropping too fast which causes low blood sugar like symptoms. Wednesday I ate horribly all day long ( way to many carbs) and got violently ill in the late afternoon. Almost passed out, naseous, shaking, ect. I'm trying to figure out why I keep doing this to myself. Does anyone else feel like they are or were slowly killing themselves with their eating/non exercise habits?
I know I have to change my lifestyle, I want to be around for my kids to graduate HS, get married, and someday hopefully give me grandchildren. It has finally clicked in my brain that if I don't start now, that's not going to happen.

Since I seem to do better when I'm somehow accountable to something, so I joined WW Wed night. Now that summer is here I can sleep an hour later in the morning but have decided to make it 1/2 and to get up and walk for a 1/2hour before work. I'm not great about getting up earlier than I have to so that will be a challenge.

Looking for all the support I can get and plan on posting each day to help motivate myself and others.
lisa2004ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I felt that way. I was 299 lbs and had labored breathing, my dad had died of diabetes complications (I never knew him), but his fam called me, he had lost both legs and went blind before his kidneys failed and he died. He was only 48. I didn't want to end up there. If I tried to sleep on my left side it felt like my heart would pop. It was getting scary and I'm only 31. I've lost 73 lbs now and feel like a different person.

It's hard work but I can't stress to you enough just how very WORTH IT Ever second of struggle is. you can do it.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

This post hit a nerve. YES! I too was killing myself with food...literally. Less than a year ago (Sept '10) to be exact, my doctor had me on so many meds (statins, water pills, prilosec, etc.). My cholesterol was over 330! I was literally eating myself to death!

Well...it's been 9 months and I've lost it all. 60 lbs in all. I'm healthy. So healthy, in fact, that I just qualified for "preferred" status on my life insurance policy (something exclusive to the elite of healthy people). Nevermind the fact that I can now fit my old size 6 clothes from 20+ yrs ago and the fact that I just turned 44 yrs old.

I mention all this to give you encouragement that it CAN be done...and in relatively short period of time.

Keep in mind, I LOVE FOOD...I mean I really LOVVVVVVVVE FOOOOOOD! I even photograph my meals! That said, I didn't do anything drastic. Just smaller portions, more fresh fruits, veggies, less sugar, more whole grain, legumes, nuts, etc. Basically, I do ALL my cooking, and as it turns out I'm a pretty good cook (or follow cookbook instructions reallly well)

All in all...it was pretty painless. I got to eat foods I love, desserts like pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, cookies, etc. and also got to eat my favorite take out treats like Jamaican curry, chinese food (chicken wings & beef brocolli), pizza (digiorno 3 meat) once (one meal) per meal throughout the entire process.

Although I started off (and learned balance and moderation) from eating a frozen meal delivery service called "Bistro MD", I dropped half of the weight on my own using the calorie counting method. I log all my foods, exercise here---> http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/calo...op-26-lbs.html

For exercise, I started off walking my dog. YES...I was so out of shape (ex-smoker for over 20 yrs), that walking my dog was a workout! I did it consistently, increasing in 30 sec intervals of time spent running/walking. Over about 10-12 weeks...that dog walk became running 3 miles without stopping! I started at 200 lbs so I was no twiggy...and I tend to carry most of my weight in my thighs, so I felt like I was hauling rocks in my pants with every step. But I was determined to do this....so I perservered.

Now...just recently in maintenance...I run 5.4 miles 3-4 days/week. Some weeks, when I'm feeling lazy, I'll only run 1-2 days that week. I listen to my body. If I have a little something extra (like my favorite pint of baskin robbins icecream), I DON'T beat myself up over it. I savour how delishous it is enjoying every bite, then I MOVE ON back to healthy eating. I see it this way...1 pint of ice cream won't make me fat...BUT...1 pint of icecream EVERYDAY WILL!

Sorry for the long post...but as I said...you struck a cord in me. Hope this helps a little.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #4  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2004ct View Post
Now that summer is here I can sleep an hour later in the morning but have decided to make it 1/2 and to get up and walk for a 1/2hour before work. I'm not great about getting up earlier than I have to so that will be a challenge.
Let's start with some positive talk! According to your post, with your new plan, you're actually going to be sleeping in an extra 1/2 hour, right? Not getting up earlier which is easy to talk yourself out of.

From here on out, everything you say about your weight loss effort, has to be spun positively! My biggest realization when I began losing weight for the first time 2-3 months ago was how always began by setting myself up for failure with excuses that could easily justify my quitting or not meeting my goals. Everything you say and think must exemplify your confidence that you CAN and WILL do this!

"Fake it 'til you make it!" BEST of luck and of course us here at 3FC will be here for you!!
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! Congratulations on taking the first step to a healthier life.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I can totally relate to this! You are close to where I was when I started, and I had a lot of medical issues cropping up too! Indigestion, acid reflux that woke me up choking in the night, high blood pressure that should have been medicated but I refused, heart palpitations so bad they put me in the ER... on and on. But I want to encourage you because now ALL those medical issues are completely GONE for me!! Gone! You can fix a lot of health issues by weight loss and eating better! So hang in there. You can do this and you will be so thankful you did
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Welcome.... I don't have a long time under my belt like some of the other posters but believe you me even 26lbs lighter I feel such a difference. I am not dragging myself out of bed and wanting a nap 4-6 hours later. I find myself doing more activities and feeling less like my life is pointless.
KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE> YOU CAN DO THIS
**** YOU ALREADY CONQUERED STARTING
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for the replies/encouragement. Right after I posted I had computer issues and just got them fixed. I'm eating much better, not 100%, but alot better and walking 30 minutes a day. I have so much to lose that I can't/won't look at the whole picture. I'm just taking this one day at a time.
lisa2004ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I can relate to your post too. My best advise is to get stubborn. Stick with it and never give up. Find a way to eat that you can live with. The good news is that you don't have to get to goal to reap the benefits! When I first started, my doctor promised me that losing 20 pounds would make a difference. I felt a little better after losing 20 pounds but really felt a difference after losing 30. Don' look at the big picture, just focus on losing 5 or 10 pounds. You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

You can do this! I was just like you a little over a year ago. I doubt I would have lived much longer...feared I would have a heart attack. It was difficult to move and breathe. I can run now and feel light on my feet!
This is an awesome forum and you'll get lots of help, encouragement and inspiration.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/276.6/115

Height: 5'2

Hi Lisa! You hit the nail on the head with everything you said. It looks like we have similar stats as well. You have definitely come to the right place, this place has a lot of support, tons of groups and someone is always willing to help you!!!
tired of fat 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #12  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2004ct View Post
Thank you for the replies/encouragement. Right after I posted I had computer issues and just got them fixed. I'm eating much better, not 100%, but alot better and walking 30 minutes a day. I have so much to lose that I can't/won't look at the whole picture. I'm just taking this one day at a time.
small changes eventually add up! my first step was to stop drinking my calories... water and skim milk (once a day, twice if i have cereal) are my go to drinks - rarely i have a pepsi max for the caffeine boost, then added more fresh fruits and veggies, then lowered my calories to a steady level, then added exercise. over time, all those changes add up!

when i started out, i had 135lbs to lose, (i still have almost 100 to go) and you're right. it's very daunting. so now i just aim for the next 10. 10 pounds is doable. 10 pounds, if i behave myself can be done in around 6 weeks (right now i'm dreaming of seeing 259.9). i measure my weight on my wii fit and it measures in decimals, so i celebrate every pound gone.

the best advice i think i can add here, is don't freak out and stress and give up if you have a bad day/week/whatever. slips happen. i gained 7 pounds in a week when i went on my honeymoon. just don't let it discourage you. yes, having to re-lose the pounds you already lost sucks, but it's soooo much better than regaining them all. the best thing you can do is put it behind you and get back on plan.

good luck to you and stay confident!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #13  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Cool Others in that same boat.

Well, you certainly hit a scenario that so many of us can relate to. But, we're all trying to change.

What the clincher ended up to be with me, is that I had fallen into a small hole (long story in the short version!)
and I COULD NOT GET UP.

I then realized that I couldn't take care of myself.
That hit hard and mortified me.
So, it's comin' off now.

I'm down 35 lbs. and headed for a goal of 50 lbs. lost by this August.

Ya' know, we only have one chance at this life here on earth, so we might as well live it in good health so that we can do everything we need to do!

Best of luck to you.
You can do it.

KELLI
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #14  
<3 MY BOYS!

S/C/G: 259/257/160

Height: 5'9"

First of all ~GOOD LUCK!!!~
I just wanted to thank you for sharing. As with many others who replied, I can truly relate to your post. I also "ate myself to death", as I am a fast food & dessert lover who would justify eating things that were terrible for me, because "tomorrow I'm going to make a change". Yeah, right... I have a BIG willpower problem, as many of us with weight struggles do.
I finally decided that I am the only person who can change ME, physically & mentally... We will all suffer setbacks trying to lose the weight (I already have!), but this is a great place for encouragement & advice.
I am early in my weight loss, too. Remember, you are not alone!!! Best wishes!
losinrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #15  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Good job on the changes you've made already!

How does your family feel about the healthier eating? I found it was best to rip the band-aid off quickly -- I just told them we were going to eat healthier. Even if I was the only one who needed to lose weight, it certainly didn't hurt anyone else to eat less processed foods and more veggies.

There is a lot of support here for you if you need it.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote