Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #16  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvaliscious View Post
Eclipse....Congratulations!! Seriously incredible and encouraging. Resolute , Guam....as well as all of you!

April, they take the most elastic part, so while it can stretch some, it does have limits. Of course, I could put candy bars in it all day and sabotage myself as well.

I wish there was an in-person calorie counting support group (similar to Weight Watchers, but not points). I need all the support I can get.

Feeling encouraged and determined. Keep it comin'!
See if there's a TOPS group in your area. (tops.org)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #17  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I wish there was an in-person calorie counting support group (similar to Weight Watchers, but not points). I need all the support I can get.

You might want to look for a local TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) group. They don't endorse any particular plan, and provide in-person support.

http://www.tops.org/default.aspx
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #18  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lovely - great minds!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #19  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

So many great share experiences in this thread. The 100lb Club is definitely a good place to go for inspiration on losing a ton of weight. It is possible and you CAN do it if you truly want to!

I also have never considered wls as an option. I figure that after the surgery, I'm still going to be me. The same head and heart that got me fat in the first place will still be there guiding my decisions. If I can't fix myself...wls surgery certainly won't either.

Good luck with your decision. But know this...we believe in you! If you're looking for support and inspiration...or a swift kick in the a$$....this IS the RIGHT place for you!

Last edited by JamiSue3916; 06-15-2011 at 06:14 PM.
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #20  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Lovely - great minds!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #21  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi.

I considered the lap band at one time, but decided against it because of the cost. It was not covered by our insurance plan...So I decided to do it on my own. Well, not really, because I did have the support of my family and 3FC. I count calories. It took me 17 months to reach my goal, and have maintained a 190 pound loss for almost 2 years now. Maintaining is HARD WORK, but worth every ounce of effort I put into it.

I wish you the best in what ever you decide to do.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #22  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I'll throw in another chip into the "you can do it!" pot. So far I've lost over 50lbs and am working my way down. My final goal will be a total of 100lbs lost. It sounds like you're already on the right track and you know how to lose weight so as long as you stick with it you're set!

I've lost my weight through exercise and working on my food choices. It's a slower journey than most because I haven't done calorie counting but I've really been working on listening to my body when it's full and making the right choices.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide but definitely stick around here because there are tons of amazing stories!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #23  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

It's hard work and it may take a long time but you can do it!!

I've lost 180 lbs and hope to lose at least another 40 before reevaluating my goals. I don't know about keeping it off since I'm still losing but I hope that with physical activity and everything in moderation, I'll be successful.

Good luck to you!
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #24  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I considered WLS, but didn't have insurance coverage for it. I used calorie counting to lose all 140 pounds and have been maintaining for almost three years now.

Good luck with your decision!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #25  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I've lost 72 lbs, most of it since october 19th. It's possible.

I just read an article on cnn about how a study found that wls does not extend life expectancy. That's something to consider.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #26  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

I hit goal last week, after 14 months of lifestyle changes and 145lbs lost. I also considered surgery, but was too scared to go through with something that wouldn't deal with my emotional issues with food. Thankfully 3FC has helped me do that.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #27  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

You can do it without the surgery, but if you opt for surgery don't feel bad for choosing that option. I have seen people (on other boards) berate people for taking the surgery path, I don't agree that it is the "easy" option at all which some people seem to think.

But to share a story I just read on another board, 600lb guy down to 350lbs through lifestyle changes. I'm stoked at losing 77lbs and seeing this guy dropping twice as much as me and still going gives me inspiration that I can do it. YOU CAN TOO!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #28  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterfish View Post
You can do it without the surgery, but if you opt for surgery don't feel bad for choosing that option. I have seen people (on other boards) berate people for taking the surgery path, I don't agree that it is the "easy" option at all which some people seem to think.

But to share a story I just read on another board, 600lb guy down to 350lbs through lifestyle changes. I'm stoked at losing 77lbs and seeing this guy dropping twice as much as me and still going gives me inspiration that I can do it. YOU CAN TOO!
I think that's very well put. I would never want someone to feel bad about their decision to have WLS if that's what they need to lose weight.

That being said, I was thinking about this some more this morning. I just wanted to add that for me my long journey has been necessary. I'm constantly reevaluating my food choices, my exercise routine etc. If my weight loss stalls I have to rethink what I'm doing. The longer process made me realize that some things I was eating to much of even though they didn't seem like bad choices initially. So even though I'd love to wake up tomorrow morning slim, I'm not sure if that would be the best thing for me? (BTW, I know WLS doesn't do that... I'm just saying that maybe quicker journey wouldn't lead to maitence for me afterwards)
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #29  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvaliscious View Post
I so badly want to do this on my own

To me, this says it all!

I echo what most folks on here have said: WLS is a great option for some folks. But it certainly seems like your first inclination is to do it without surgery. And look at the progress you've made so far! That right there is proof that you can do it.

For most of us, weightloss isn't a one time deal. It is a process. At my heaviest, (hmmm...9 years ago) I was around 330. I lost close to 100 pounds through diet and exercise. I put a lot of it back on when my life went haywire. But there are 40 of those pounds I NEVER saw again. To me, that is a success. This time around, I've lost over 50 (since January 3) and I'm still going strong.

As others have said, don't do the surgery if you are still on the fence about it.

dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #30  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiSue3916 View Post
So many great share experiences in this thread. The 100lb Club is definitely a good place to go for inspiration on losing a ton of weight. It is possible and you CAN do it if you truly want to!

I also have never considered wls as an option. I figure that after the surgery, I'm still going to be me. The same head and heart that got me fat in the first place will still be there guiding my decisions. If I can't fix myself...wls surgery certainly won't either.

Good luck with your decision. But know this...we believe in you! If you're looking for support and inspiration...or a swift kick in the a$$....this IS the RIGHT place for you!
Ok how AWESOME was this post???? the same head & heart that got me fat will STILL BE THERE guiding my deicions!!! that's awesome, I want to laminate it LOL

I know WLS does save some lives, but before I'd let a knife cut out my insides, I'd have to think long and hard about "have I REALLY tried?" I mean, REALLY tried? Not half-assed, give up in a few months, back to old habits try, I mean REALLY tried?? Figured out the heart & mind issues?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I urge you to really think and know yourself inside and out and know that your heart & mind will be right there with you along side a scalpel

As another cautionary tale, my good friend lost over 100 pounds with WLS and within 2 years was even heavier than she started. All with about 1/4 cup of food at a time. Where there's a will, chocolate will find a way
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote