To weigh-in, or not to weigh-in?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been resistant to daily weigh-ins. I been resistant because I see the frustration with sometime inexplicable daily fluctuations that occur.

However, I was reading an article online about how often a person "should" weigh-in and found this:

"...a group of doctors who studied obese and overweight adults who were trying to lose weight as well as overweight adults who were trying to prevent weight gain found that those who weighed themselves more often lost more weight and prevented more weight gain over two years than those who weighed themselves less frequently. Contrary to the advice given in many popular weight loss regimens, this study suggests that at least some people can benefit from the accountability brought on by daily weigh-ins. Potential advantages of daily weighing include recognition of slow patterns of weight gain that may not be immediately apparent and the chance to modify lifestyle habits before the total weight gain becomes extreme and difficult to control."

(Find the full article here: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=55489)

So, while daily weigh-ins are not for the weak, sounds like there's something to it!

“Do you choose to simply know the path, or do you choose to walk it? “

1st Mini: 5%, 277.8 (-14.6): Met 4/15/11
    2nd Mini: 10%, 263.8 (-28.5)
    3rd Mini: 20%, 233.9 (-58.5)
    4th Mini: ONEderland, 199.9 (-92.5)
    5th Mini: 100 lbs, 192.4 (-100)
    Final: Goal, 175 (-117.4)

One for every 5 lbs lost. So long suckers!!!
  • I am WAY too obsessive to weigh in daily. I will lose my motivation if I see the scale go up every other day.

I am finding it very difficult to find food that is low carb, low fat and low sodium. The sodium is usually the naughty ingredient that I still allow into a lot of my food and this shows up as water retention during the week.

When I think of this as a year long journey (or more), I get really overwhelmed at the thought of weighing myself every day during that journey.

But of course that is just me.....ymmv.
  • I love daily weighing. It took away ALL my scale anxiety. The number ceases to have power when it's just another daily thing, it doesn't make or break. It also keeps me honest, because I can't binge the day after my weekly weigh-in and know I won't 'see' it because by the time I weigh the bounce up will have worked itself out (I'll be down or the same, but not losing at the rate I should). I used to do that all the time, and now that one day isn't more important or less than any other, on the scale, I always am accountable for my day's eating and how it impacts the number.

I have lost significantly more weight and had a better understanding of my body since starting daily weigh-ins. I'll never go back.
  • I was a daily weigher while I was losing the weight, but I stick to twice a week now that I'm in maintenance. That and the way my clothes fit is good enough for me.

I will say that, in the past, avoiding the scale was always the first sign for me that I was going to start gaining the weight back. I never miss my twice a week weigh-ins now; it helps me keep the regains in the 4-5 pound range instead of the 100 pound range, and those are easily fixed.
  • Yup, I avoid scales when I have fallen off the wagon a bit, too. It's a sick cycle. Getting back on the horse means staring at the number, accepting it, and committing to changing it for the better. Not acknowledging the number means I just put off the solution longer, and the regain would then get worse.
  • I weigh every Friday. That doesn't mean I don't take a peek once in a while between. I found for me if I weighed daily I easily started that little game in my head of 'why not eat what I want today. It won't make a difference'. I only started 3/2/11 so with time maybe I can weigh more often and it won't affect me that way.
  • I need to put my scale away... I know I do, but I can't help it.
  • I have my official weigh ins on Monday. Then I will let myself weigh and see how my body responds to things like meals, exercise, and other daily functions during Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then I won't get on the scale again until Monday. I kind of like the surprise on weigh in day.
  • I weigh every day, just before I eat my first meal. I find that it helps me stay accountable to myself. The daily fluctuations do get to me, but not as badly as they used to. I seem to have firmer resolve these days, just wanting to stay healthy and focused, keeping food choices clean and OP, exercising several times a week and taking care of myself better in general.

This week I really freaked myself out. I started Intermittent Fasting on Friday. I eat all my meals between 1 and 9 pm. But I forgot to account for this when I weighed myself this morning. It was like I had gained five pounds overnight! I was so steamed! Then I thought I'd weigh myself again at 1, just before I ate. By then I lost that five pounds, plus down one more from the day before. Feeling all better now! Changing my weigh in time!
  • I weigh myself every day at home and then I weigh in once a week at the Dr's office on the more accurate, precise scale (it's not my friend).

I find that I need to do the daily weigh ins at home so I remind myself that I have to eat properly today, rather than fudging it a bit until the next weekly weigh in at the Dr's office.

In 2008, I lost 30 pounds and 17 inches overall by low calorie and daily cardio exercise, and I weighed myself religiously (along with taking measurements weekly). Not everyone can though.

I also notice that when I start to slack, that's when I start to avoid the scale. It becomes the friend I never see lol
  • I weighed weekly when I started losing weight, as daily flutuations would devestate me, (not to mention TOM!)

but now that I am near my goal I find weighing in daily reminds me why I went on that journey and why I want to keep that weight off, a slight gain doesn't bother me, but that dail number does keep me motivated and reminds me of how far I have come.
  • I weigh when I feel like weighing myself I'm comitting to the sunday weigh ins on here, but if I want to weigh myself inbetween i will. I did today was up 2lbs from yesterday but accept the water fluctuations and am glad it was not more. Tomorrow after birthday debaucheries I won't have the heart to weigh in, but on thursday after I've worked out tomorrow (commits) and wednesday (already was comitted) then I will feel better and suck it up. I like frequent weigh ins but i only record once a week right now.
  • I have "official" weigh day on Mondays, this is the weight I record. But I jump on sometimes extra times out of curiosity.

Give daily a go and see how it works for you. If you start obsessing or losing motivation then revert to weekly
  • Everyone has I believe has given you wonderful advice as usual. I weigh myself everyday but now. I used to be crazy about the numbers. However now it has taught me more about my body and the daily fluctuations that can happen. I also record my measurements, this helps too.
  • For ME, it was important not to get on the scale. I wanted to focus on the behaviours that would lead to a healthier weight, not the number on the scale. So first 72 days I did not step on a scale. But I carefully tracked my intake and exercise so I wasn't misled into thinking I was doing the right thing and then getting a sudden negative suprise on the scale.

And I'm so glad I did it this way. At my starting weight, shows like the Biggest Loser and previous experiences dieting when I was younger I would have expected some pretty big losses. That didn't happen. But by the time I saw I'd lost "only" 12 lbs after almost 3 months, I'd already established to myself that if I followed my plan, I WOULD lose.