What's in your smoothie?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm a big fan of the breakfast smoothie. I can whirl it in the blender, pour it in a glass and be out the door in just a few minutes.

As long as I remember to put the blender in the dishwasher before I leave, I'm a happy camper (man, do I hate to clean stuck on smoothie).

Someone was saying that they liked to put flax in their smoothie in the morning and I had never thought of that! I'm going to pick up some flax today and see if I like it.

My smoothie is usually a combo of whatever I got at the farmers market and is starting to go bad. But this has been my favorite lately:

Green Goddess

1 oz of spinach or kale (about a cup)
    1/2 a frozen banana
    5 or so strawberries (I don't even take the green tops off. I am that lazy).
    1/2 of water
    1 cup of skim milk (because I'm pregnant I try to sneak in more protein/calcium)
    a scoop of Sun Harvest Soy Protein (from Henry's --24 grams of protein)

I whirl the water and the spinach first for a good 30 seconds before I put anything else in. This basically pulverizes the spinach so I am not chewing my smoothie. I add the soy protein last because it's a thickener and I also add about a cup of ice.

It makes one GIGANTIC (32 oz) smoothie for a little less than 300 calories and you could reduce it further by not using milk.

I drink this around 8am and it usually keeps me going until 11am.
  • Jessica - one word of caution...start slowly with the flax! I buy a bag of flax seed and grind only what I need for 2-3 days, then refrigerate it. Whole seeds don't go bad for a long time. Ground flax goes rancid quickly. And, too much, too soon will give you some serious bathroom issues. :

When I was doing a daily smoothie, I used 1 cup of SF soy milk, 1 portion of chocolate whey protein powder and a banana with 1 tbsp of ground soy. Delicious!
  • Yeah I started with 1 tbls flax, but generally do 2 now, but not all at once. (also, I have ibs, it really helps.)

I do the same as girlygirl now with the seeds. Don't eat them whole.

I use 1 cup light silk, .25 cup water (the flax makes it too thick), 1 frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, and 3 tbls protein mix with a tsp of vanilla.

Mmmmm

When I don't have a smoothie I have whole fruit and a quarter cup of nuts.
  • 1 half cup of vanilla yougurt, one teaspoon of honey (not always) five strawberries, a bannana.
  • Here are some of my favs....also Im trying to experiment with adding Apple cider vinegar, chia seeds and flax oil

-----------------------------

Serves 2

1 bunch cilantro
    1 cucumber, diced
    1 lime, juiced
    1-inch piece ginger
    1/3 c. pineapple, diced

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add water if necessary to help blend.

NUTRITION FACTS

* Calories Per Serving 88
    * Total Fat 0.9g
    * Saturated Fat 0g
    * Cholesterol 0g
    * Sodium 44mg
    * Carbohydrates 21g
    * Dietary Fiber 5g
    * Sugar 9g
    * Protein 3g

1 Pink Lady Apple
    1/2 Cucumber
    1 handful of Flat parsley
    A thumbsize piece of ginger (peeled)
    1/2 lemon (peeled)
    1/2 cup of mango (I buy organic frozen mango when it's out of season)
    1/2 cup of pineapple (I buy organic frozen pineapple when it's out of season)
    1-1 1/2 cups of Kale

1 cup blackberries
    1/2 avacado
    1 cup blueberries
    4-8 seedless green grapes
    1 cup kale
    1 medjool date
    8oz unsweetened almond milk
    1/2-1 cup ice

3-4 leaves dinosaur kale
    3 stalks celery
    2 pears
    1 banana
    1.5 cups cold water

1.5 cups cold water
    1 head organic romaine
    3-4 stalks celery
    2 apples cored and chopped
    1 banana
    1/3 bunch cilantro
    1/3 bunch parsley
    juice 1/2 lemon
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE smoothies!!!

I totally dig the yoplait yogart ones and add some spinach.

Others:

1 Cup Soymilk
    1 Banana ( frozen )
    handful of frozen blueberries
    2 handfuls of spinach
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
  • Quote: Yeah I started with 1 tbls flax, but generally do 2 now, but not all at once. (also, I have ibs, it really helps.)

I do the same as girlygirl now with the seeds. Don't eat them whole.

I use 1 cup light silk, .25 cup water (the flax makes it too thick), 1 frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, and 3 tbls protein mix with a tsp of vanilla.

Mmmmm

When I don't have a smoothie I have whole fruit and a quarter cup of nuts.
    same, but sometimes I throw in some psyllium husk powder. Might try flax too though.
  • I wouldn't call it a smoothie... more like a protein shake that I've mimicked into a milk shake...

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
    1 cup chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp natural, no salt peanut butter
    2/3 cup skim milk
    5 x-large ice cubes (to make it a thick consistency)

sometimes I add 1 tbsp of ground flax seed...

Blend it all up

------
    I sometimes make this when I'm wanting something else

Strawberry Banana Smoothie
    5 strawberries
    1 banana
    1 scoop Vanilla protein
    1/2 cup - 1 cup skim milk (depending on consistency)
    A few ice cubes to thicken
  • you wont get nutritional value from whole as the body cant break down the shell, it would act mostly has a fiber and undigest.
    I too use the ground flax and I keep it in the fridge for freshness, you could also play around with oils. Maybe one day add some flax oils or maybe even fish oil :-)
  • P.s. I dont use protein powders....

I have a recipe for my own protein shake and it consists of the following

steel cut oats
    banana
    all natural peanut butter
    ground flax
    plain greek yogurt
    milk.

Loaded with everything GREAT !
  • Jessica, ask your doctor about flax first. Some doctors warn against it in pregnancy because of the effect on hormones. A good alternative for Omega-3 is a fish oil supplement.

My standby green smoothie is:
    -spinach
    -seltzer
    -OJ
    -frozen fruit (bananas, strawberries, peaches, or whatever else is on hand).
    -psyllium
  • @Junebug! Thanks for the heads up! I love nordic naturals for my omega-3 fish oil so I will probably stick with that until D-day.

@TwinMommaPlusOne - Steel cut oats in a smoothie? Wow. I never thought of that. I am a sucker for peanut butter though.
  • I think I have an oral fixation LOL I have to chew my food, no smoothies for me (although technically, can the occasional marguerita count???)
  • Mine is very small but it sticks with me. I whirl up:

4 oz vanilla greek yogurt
    4 oz V8 fusion
    1/4 vanilla whey protein powder
    1/4 benefiber
    ice as needed
  • 3.5 oz vanilla NF yougurt
    6 oz pasturized egg whites
    .25 oz natural peanut butter
    1 package of "Weight Control" instant oatmeal (I usually get the maple flavor)

Lots of protein and it keeps me full for 4 hours, even with a fairly strenuous hour of weights in the gym.