Dilema with fight classes

• I started taking Krav Maga classes. I love it, am proud, hate it, and am scared to death of it all at once. I love that it makes me feel strong and when I learn a new skill I feel proud. However I am terrified of getting hurt badly or of hurting someone. I'm also scared that it will turn me into some kind of violent person. I'm also a bit uncomfy in the classes because it's mostly men. So far I have met one other female student and there is one female instructor. I'm supposed to leave for class in a little over 2 hours and I don't know if I want to go. Advice?
  • I say go for it! I don't believe that it will make you violent, but I appreciate your fear of hurting someone. My husband talked my high tempered BIL into taking Wing Chun with him, and it has actually mellowed him out sooo much.

Wish we had Krav Maga in our area, I think it looks like alot of fun!
  • only you can turn you into a violent person. Its aan attitude thing, as long as you keep the attitude that it is not ok to use violence except in self defense (or whatever your beliefs are) then you wont suddenly morph into rambo. Knowledge is only knowledge.

In terms of hurting someone or getting hurt, it is a contact sport. When you participate you are accepting the risk to yourslef, as is anyone else in your class. Now if you were teaching yourself id advise not to, but as you have instructers they are not only teaching you the moves but also how to control the moves which greatly minimizes accidental injury.

I say have fun and give it your all
  • I went tonight and got kicked in the face. I'm actually rather amused by my slightly busted lip (he barely made contact).
  • did you have fun? I got a freestanding kickboxing unit for my birthday, and i say it makes me less grumpy/desiring violence. I get grumpy or am stressed out and I go bang on that thing for awhile and suddenly I feel a WHOLE lot more sane.
    .... that could just be though.

I'd think it'd be empowering.