Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/292/180

Height: 5'7

Default Arg.. having a kid is hard LOL

I LOVE my daughter with everything I have but man.. here she sits with her little tasty cake and it is taking all I have to not take just one bite!!! AAAAHHHHH!! I can do it I can do it!! I have to go make her a grilled cheese and I will not eat the crust.. usually I will always eat her crust cause she doesn't... but today I won't!!

Sorry just need to get it out .. I need control!
Tamlynne31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

This is one of the hardest habits for me to break still. Having 6 kids there is always some half eaten food or left over french fries that I have felt obligated to stuff in my mouth because that whole wasting food/ starving children guilt that is way back in my brain somewhere.
But me being obese doesn't help those starving children and I am better than eating someone else's food.

On the bright side obviously my children have a better handle on their eating then I did at their age that they will only eat half a cookie. Nowadays there is always something laying around and I am tempted I will ask the children to please of place that in the trash. I know myself to well if I clean it up I will take a bite. Even my 2 year old knows how to do this.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Nikki, that's a great way to look at it. Yes, you're better than eating someone else's food!

I know when I first started I didn't make or serve those foods I couldn't have. My children didn't need mac and cheese or chicken nuggets or little snack cakes. So they didn't get them. Yeah, it was selfish of me, but their diets are better for it now.

Now I'm able to have those "kid food" nights once a month or so and even Mommy gets to indulge. Usually though, I no longer want to. And the last "kid night", my ten year old opted for grilled chicken and veggies.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

If you make "healthier" versions of her favorite foods, you'll be able to indulge (if wanted) and know that she's eating well! That's what I do with my three year old.

Oh, and we sometimes don't eat at the same time, so in order not to munch on her foods, I chew gum while I'm preparing/cooking/and until they're in the garbage.

Last edited by Munchy; 03-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #5  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

I agree my kids eat better because I buy and prepare better foods. The days of Little Debbie are long gone here. My 2 little guys don't really care for snack cakes but will go to blows over the last banana.

I often do treats outside the house so it's not lingering around calling me . No half of carton of ice cream left if I allow them on a special occasion to order 1 dessert with 6 spoons.

My kids have adjusted without complaint and I am happy about that.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

but today I won't!!

that's a great mantra to live by!!! I used to do X Y & Z, but TODAY I WON'T! yay for you!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the previous posters! I've also found that my kiddo has adjusted without complaint. He was never a sugar hound, but now he'd much prefer grapes over almost anything else. I think that kids will adjust to whatever we feed them. They're resilient like that.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Sometimes I wonder where my kids came from. Altho they are all adults, they have some food habits that they certainly didn't get from their overweight mom. The youngest will stop eating half way through a meal -- "not hungry anymore". Another son will occasionally not eat for most of the day -- "not very hungry today". Third son has many food issues including the "food must not touch" thing -- so he will stop eating bec the food on his plate gets mixed up. DD loves candy, but is very picky about what kind -- won't touch it if it isn't EXACTLY the kind she likes.

:-) If only I had some of their seemingly inate coping mechanisms.
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

My toddler eats grilled salmon, edamame, greek yogurt, kashi cereal, fresh fruit, etc. The only thing she really doesn't like is spinach, leaf-lettuce, and carrots, but all the other veggies she'll eat. And she drinks V-8. I feel that she does need some "normal kiddo" snacks at time, and I do have whole-grain goldfish and I get the natural animal cookies from Barbara's Bakery. I'm not a big fan of either of these, so I don't have to worry about me binging on them. I have two Boston Terriers, one that follows her around all day, waiting for her to drop food so he can eat it. I usually give the pups her leftover crust of PB and J, or grilled cheese. I figure spoil my dogs rather than me eat the leftover!!!
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Luckily I've never had this problem.

My son eats pretty well but sometimes gets an indulgence. But even if I could eat it (say natural pb on whole wheat bread) he's mangled it so much it's indistinguishable, and mushy, and it's been licked, and fingered.. and just ... ew.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/243.2/175

Height: 5'2

My oldest boys are teens so they eat soooo much right now. Ive changed how I cook in that there are more veggies and less rice and pasta. They are slowly adjusting to seeing so many fruits and veggies and actually learning to like things they thought they hated. I don't have the willpower to make them junk and eat healthy myself. If I make something somewhat unhealthy I eat a small portion and load up on veggies.

I have a 9 year old son who was born a health food junkie. He has always prefered healthy opposed to junk. (oh to be born with THAT problem!! LOL) The only thing he has complained about is edamame.

I make the kids clean the table off after dinner so I am not tempted by "scraps" (that sounds so pathetic but we all know we nibble on their leftovers!) Normally I tell them if they clean it off quickly and without fighting they will get dessert. Dessert may be fruit, sf jello or a fudge bar but to them it doesn't matter--a treat is a treat!
myhaloisintheshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
Luckily I've never had this problem.

My son eats pretty well but sometimes gets an indulgence. But even if I could eat it (say natural pb on whole wheat bread) he's mangled it so much it's indistinguishable, and mushy, and it's been licked, and fingered.. and just ... ew.
lol that's like my son's leftovers too. And my daughter's. My kids eat well too, they're still too little to know there's much choice out there...haha...and I've never been one to have junk around - if I wanted junk in the past it'd generally be something I buy and scarf down while I'm out, or a box of cookies hidden in my dresser. God, I did that a lot.

Last edited by sept15lija; 03-09-2011 at 12:47 PM.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Last night my 10 year old went to Mardi Gras at church with his Grandma. He came home with his "Prizes" which were ALL food!! 3 cupcakes, 3 Giant cookies and 2 brownies. I let him and Dad have a treat last night, he took a cupcake in his lunch and the rest went in the GARBAGE!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Good job Sandi!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, I agree that DD's food is nasty after she fingers it. Most kids are dirty little midges and I would not want to eat the leftovers from one. Especially when she gets a cookie, drops it on the floor, lets the dog lick it, then sticks it in her mouth
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote