Fast Food problem...

• I have a serious fast food problem. I tell myself NO. I tell myself okay I am done having fast food. I have set goals for myself. I have set rewards for myself. I have tried cutting back...I have tried just about everything you can think of, and then I find myself at the drive thru for some place. And I'm talking at least once a day....sometimes twice. I feel sick. I feel out of control. I feel TIRED. I haven't gone to the gym consistently since before Thanksgiving. I have gained inches, and a few pounds.
    I have no clue how to stop. I don't know what is leading me there, I'm assuming its something emotional. But right now I am such an emotional MESS, that its hard to sort through it all to pinpoint what exactly in that moment is leading me towards this food. I make every excuse under the sun. But right now, I am at a loss as to how to STOP. I know fo me cutting back might not work. Because the longer its out of my system, the less the cravings.
    I don't know exactly where this post is going...but I wanted some accountability, and to at least say to someone I am out of control right now, and I'm a MESS....
  • Are you getting enough protein in your diet otherwise? Are you stomach hungry when you are going there or head/heart/mouth hungry?

Can you leave all forms of money/credit/payment at home?

can you have a notebook in your car and a rule that you need to write a page or 2 about your feelings before you can buy the fast food?
  • I'm wondering some of the same things as seagirl.

There was always a big difference in why I would buy something. Sometimes it was because I was out, trapped and couldn't get home for a meal. That, more often than not, just meant I needed to plan better.

Most of the time though I craved the greasy fast food. This time around cutting refined carbs and sugar has helped. I haven't even really thought about fast food and don't think I'd really like the feeling it would leave in my digestive system and mouth.

Just try to slow down and figure out why you feel this way. What are the circumstances?
  • Can you find some type of order in the chaos? I had a period of absolute spiraling-the-heck-out-of-control too, and for me, being prepared helped. I would spend a few hours on weekends preparing my food for the rest of the week - cooking, prepackaging, freezing, etc, to ensure that something would always be available if I felt the urge to eat. Granted, the "good, healthy" stuff didn't give me the sugar/grease/carb fix I was craving, but mentally each homecooked meal I had over fast food was a little kudos to my willpower. It made me feel like I had control over SOMETHING... which was a stepping stone to taking control of my life again. Just because you feel like you're spiraling doesn't mean you've lost control - it just takes a little more effort to grasp onto something and hold on. But you can do it! 42lbs lost says so
  • Is "healthy" fast food an option for you? I sometimes just get the urge to go and buy fast food, sometimes because I'm on the run, sometimes I am too lazy to make something, sometimes I just like to! So I have a few healthy go to options, which I know the calorie counts for. It does satisfy that "urge" for me. I don't know if that would work for you, but thought I'd throw it out there.
  • Have you watched Super Size Me and Food, Inc? Those might be another way to help you steer clear of the fast food places.
  • programmed convenience

programmed comfort food

I totally get it. So do You. Suppose you just have to stick the plan. It really comes down to it, that simple. Either you want a healthy long life or you want to risk all the health problems from eating like crap and cutting your life short. Do or Die.
  • Pink - for you.

It is so tough. I know, I've been there. And the thing is - it doesn't taste or feel as good in my tummy as my craving made me think it would. It doesn't satisfy. And I always felt bad for giving in to it.

It was harder to quit than cigarettes. I knew I had to fix this before I could have any success with a real diet. So I had all my favorites waiting at home. (steaks, raspberries, garlic bread, etc). I had to white knuckle it (literally tightly grab the steering wheel and force my eyes not to gaze upon the signs, put my hand up to the side of my face to block the view) when I drove past my local Sonic, McD, BK, etc. knowing I had a spectacular favorite foods waiting at home. I had to do this for about a week before the desire finally backed off. When the situation required I get fastfood, it never tastes as good as I remembered. A few of those disappointments and I can now turn my nose up at it.

I wish you the best as you battle this demon.
  • I have watched Supersize me...it was gross, that was it. Didn't phase me about eating that food. Logically I KNOW its bad for me...but emotionally my body craves it SO bad.
    I am just going to have to do like you said DixC....white knuckle it. I know the craving will fade after a few days of not eating it, but right now, I haven't been able to get myself to even do ONE day with out.
    I will do it though. I have to. Or else I am going to find myself back at 240+ again...
    I have some more plans to try. So I will dust myself off and try again tomorrow. And having the yummy foods around is part of that plan like Chantelle said. Thank you for the support.
  • I've totally been there. It feels like this horrible, horrible cycle where you're stuck.

One thing that has worked for me is when getting over that initial hump is to let myself eat anything I want as long as it's not fast food. I'm not sure if you're trying to do low-fat, but it might help you to increase fat to help you get over this hurdle. Steak I cook at home, nuts, avocado, goat cheese, etc. All of these things will help you feel full and will not be nearly as fattening as fast food.

It is a really, really tough struggle, though. You are fighting against billion dollar corporations who in my opinion look for every possible way to entice you to come back -- advertising, large signs, smells in the air, corn syrup in the food.

You can fight back, though. It might even help to visualize yourself as fighting against Ronaldo McDonald, punching him (in your mind) in the face. Taking the Burger King's crown and stomping on it. "NO! NO MORE! I will not pay you to make me fat any more!"