C25k

• Hey, for those of you who are doing C25K on a treadmill what speeds do walk/run at?
  • I started off walking at 3.8 mph and running at 4.5 mph, but now I'm up to running at 5.0 mph in week 8. On my latest run, I realized that I could probably go faster and still be OK, so I'll try 5.5 mph next time.
  • I just finished Week 2 and was walking 3.2 and running 4.8 to 5.0.
    I found Week 2 easier than Week 1 - but have NO idea how I am possibly going to go right into Week 3 running straight for 3 minutes - so think I am going to modify to 2 minutes...and build up. (same speeds).
  • I just finished my first week, I am doing 4 days each week. I started the week walking at 3.0 and "running"/jogging at 4.5. I just got done with the last day and I did it walking at 3.5 and jogging at 4.5. It was hard but doable. Not sure what I will end up doing Day 1 of week 2 at.
    Also, how many days a week do you guys do the program? I worry that if I only do it 3 times a week I will not be ready for the next week.
  • I have been walking slooow at 2.5 and jogging at 5.5. But I had to drop the last interval in my last run (W3D2 - 3 min run) to 5.0 to finish it. I'm not sure if it was a fluke because I had missed my afternoon snack that day or what. I guess I'll see tomorrow when I do W3D3. Then I will decide if I am going to repeat the week or not as well. For me, jogging at 5.0 my legs hurt more, at 5.5 though the struggle is all cardio capacity.
  • I have crappy knees, so I always took longer than one week to progress to the next week. Usually two or three weeks before I moved up. Just listen to whatever your body is telling you, and you'll be fine.
  • I started at 5.5, and by week three was at 5.8 with 30 sec bursts of 6.0. When I got up to 8 min runs, I found I needed to reduce my pace to make the distance. I'm now down to 4.6 on W6D3 (25 min run). But next week I go back to doing the same thing on all three days, so I'm hoping to increase my speed a tiny bit each day. But I'm not super worried about it right now. Once I can actually complete a 5K I'll start thinking more seriously about incorporating speed work.

ETA- I walk at 3.7 usually. Might do 3.8 if I feel energetic or 3.6 if I feel sluggish (I kept my walking speed the same when i reduced my jogging pace)
  • Quote: Also, how many days a week do you guys do the program? I worry that if I only do it 3 times a week I will not be ready for the next week.
    I do it 3 days a week as recommended. Taking a day off running doesn't have to mean taking a day of exercise though. I spin 1 to 2 days a week. Cross training, in addition to keeping you active on your non-running days, can make you a better runner. You want to make sure you cross train by working different muscle groups in different ways. The elliptical is very similar to running, so I'd skip that. Cycling or swimming are great cross-training for runners. If you don't have access to a gym, maybe a workout DVD or some yoga. As long as your aren't completely sedentary, that 2 day break shouldn't hurt you.

Quote: I have been walking slooow at 2.5 and jogging at 5.5. But I had to drop the last interval in my last run (W3D2 - 3 min run) to 5.0 to finish it. I'm not sure if it was a fluke because I had missed my afternoon snack that day or what. I guess I'll see tomorrow when I do W3D3. Then I will decide if I am going to repeat the week or not as well. For me, jogging at 5.0 my legs hurt more, at 5.5 though the struggle is all cardio capacity.
    Could be the snack. I've been switching up my diet a bit lately and it's resulted in some bad runs. I know people who prefer to run on an empty stomach, but it makes me feel aweful!
    And I've struggled to adjust to the slower pace as well. Between 4.5 and 4.8 really feels like those first few steps transitioning from a walk to a run, except I'm staying there. My form starts out akward but after a couple minutes I seem to get the swing of it. That's the only reason I even consider my pace right now. I wanted to completely ignore speed until I finished the program, but I'm reaching a point where my low speed may cause bad form.

Quote: I have crappy knees, so I always took longer than one week to progress to the next week. Usually two or three weeks before I moved up. Just listen to whatever your body is telling you, and you'll be fine.
    ^THIS^ 10,000%
    I tried to push through my knee pain the first time I tried c25k, a year ago. I spent a solid 6 months regreting it every time I walked.
  • I started C25K like 5 times and each time got to week 5-6 then quit and it was only the 6th and final time I actually did it and slowed down like I needed to that I managed to complete it (in the 220s).

I completed C25K walking at about 3.3 and jogging at 4.0. As you can deduce I was a big believer in jogging as slow as I could walk and just getting used to that motion and the breathing. It made the program a little less challenging for me and allowed me to enjoy it and learn to like jogging and look forward to C25K days.

Now 4+ months after completing c25k I usually jog at 5.0 (still not that fast but building) for 60minutes and then 5.5 for the last 10 minutes of my run, so doing 70-minute jogs now.
  • Just call me TURTLE! lol

I walk at 2.0 and jog at 3.0 and for right now that is what is comfortable for me. I am completing week 1 for the second time and hope to try week 2 next week. I also take the day in between to rest from the program.
  • when I started running I just did what felt comfortable to me. I quickly learned that if I couldnt hold a pace, I would taper down my speed.

Anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I love Running and just celebrated my 1 year anniversary this past week!

Run on!
  • I've tried before multiple times and never finished C25K, mainly because I tried to make myself go too fast. I'm about to start again and I'm planning a 3 walk and a 4 job and worrying about speed later. I have found that I can do 5 minutes at 4, so I'm thinking it's a good jog pace for me to start from.

As you can see from this thread it is really individual and it's important to do what works for you. If you are new to C25K, maybe you could just spend a little time on the treadmill first and find paces that feel ok to you before you start.
  • I also have started with about 3 - 3.5 mph for walking speed, and started with 4 - 4.5 for jogging speed. Over the last several weeks of building up to week 2 of C25K, I've also noticed that jogging at the slow speed gets harder and harder. So now I'm walking at 3.5 jogging at 5 and occasionally bumping it up to 5.5. It seems easier to keep the motion going at the slightly higher speed or something like that.
  • Thanks guys for all your input. It really does go to show that you have to go at your own pace and listen to you body. I was considering trying to push myself harder at today (week 2 day 1) and after reading this your replies I decided to not push it too much. I walked at 3.2 and jogged at 4.5. My plan is to, by the end of the week, walk at 3.5 and maybe give jogging at 5.0 a try for a couple of intervals.
    Oh, and a mini NSV. While stretching my quads I was able to touch my heel to my butt!!! Weird I know but it used to be a struggle to even "catch" my foot for the stretch. I think it is a combo of less fat on my legs and increased flxibility.

Anyone else about where I am wanna be buddies?