Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #16  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Another good recipe is to take Devil's Food cake mix and add a can of pumpkin (don't add eggs or oil). It makes about 12 muffins. Delicious! I tried it with some other mixes like regular chocolate, but the DF is the best IMO.

Last edited by Emme; 01-21-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #17  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Ummmmm...what are the nutrition facts???? This sounds fab! I just don't know how to calculate it w/o the egg and oil.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #18  
I am in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
Ummmmm...what are the nutrition facts???? This sounds fab! I just don't know how to calculate it w/o the egg and oil.
If you are doing a recipe w/diet coke or sprite, just look at the side of the cake box to see what the calories are per serving and that's what you would go off of. They usually have two calorie columns: one for the mix itself, and the other for everything combined with it. Just look at the one for the mix by itself.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Height: 5'6"

At least some of the cake mixes here in Canada give the NI for the dry mix. Just bake for the length of time indicated on the box for whatever size pan.
I have made the lemon cake with diet 7-up or Sprite, served with the light Cool Whip and strawberries for a company dessert. It's great and doesn't scream "diet food" :-)
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #20  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I totally want to do a chocolate cake w/ diet cherry coke.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #21  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the pumpkin idea...I am going to try that tomorrow!! I can't have artificial sweetener, so the pop wouldn't work for me, but I am soooo trying the pumpkin!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #22  
DebuNeko

S/C/G: 380/215/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Not a fan of using mixes

I'm not a fan of making cakes with mixes because they contain a lot of ingredients I'm not a fan of (including sugar, refined flour and hydrogenated oils that are in the dry mix). There are good recipes for sugar-free, whole grain, and low-fat cake. Here's one of my favorites:

Chocolate Muffins:

1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 medium egg
3/4 cup skim milk
1 tbsp. (any mild) vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup Splenda granular
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp. Canola oil
2 tbsp. espresso or very, very strong coffee
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour (not pastry flour/white flour or finely ground flour!)
1 tbsp. baking powder

Scald the milk, add to the cocoa, stir until dissolved, and allow to cool. Whisk the applesauce, egg, milk, cocoa mixture, vanilla, salt, espresso, oil, cinnamon, vinegar, and Splenda together. Mix until everything is smoothly incorporated. Sprinkle the flour over the liquid mixture and gently stir just until the flour is moistened. Allow this to rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (190 degrees C.). Spray the bottoms of 6 large muffin cups with cooking spray. Sprinkle the baking powder over the mixture and stir until just mixed evenly. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Bake for 30 minutes. A skewer inserted into the center comes out with sticky crumbs, but not wet batter. Do not overbake (a skewer should not come out clean) as it will dry out the muffins. Allow to cool in the tins for at least 15 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges to loosen, pat gently if they stick to the bottom. Place on a rack for cooling.

You can make either 6 or 8 muffins. If you make six, each muffin is 215 calories. If you make 8, each is 162 calories.

Notes: The type of whole wheat flour is very important - if you use flour that is too finely ground, you'll end up with a sopping mess as it won't properly absorb moisture. The coffee and cinnamon are also important as they bring out the flavor of the chocolate. Sugar acts as a flavor enhancer so without it, you need something else to ramp up the chocolate. I don't recommend silicone baking cups as they don't get as good a rise. I recommend metal or tins.
debuneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #23  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know there's lots of recipes for real stuff, not the Frankencake idea, but I posted it as a super quickie fix LOL

I have to say, I made the carrot cake with a diet GINGER ALE yesterday afternoon, put it in little muffin cups, put a tiny swoosh of lite cool whip for a total chemical spill nightmare, and had tea with it with my girlfriends and they could not stop raving over how light and non-greasy they were hahaha so funny!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #24  
I am in control.

I made spice cake with Sprite Zero on Friday night and it is sooooo good. Very fluffy and tasty...my husband was very impressed and has already literally eaten over half of the 9x13 pan. Good thing it's low-cal. I added a tiny bit of "Lite" Cool Whip and it hit the spot!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmel3283 View Post
I totally want to do a chocolate cake w/ diet cherry coke.
Mmm, diet cherry chocolate coke frankencake. (say that 5 times fast)
The Last Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #26  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I made spice cake with Sprite Zero on Friday night and it is sooooo good. Very fluffy and tasty...my husband was very impressed and has already literally eaten over half of the 9x13 pan. Good thing it's low-cal. I added a tiny bit of "Lite" Cool Whip and it hit the spot!
I made an oatmeal spice cake with the toasted coconut topping last week, not exactly low cal but so so yummy, unfortunately i have to freeze 75 percent of it for later, what little i do eat is typically for breakfast, is great with a cup of coffee, the only time i allow myself a sweet is in the morning.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #27  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

If you want to make it an Uber-Frankencake, pillsbury now makes sugar-free cake mix - saves about 40 cals a serving if I'm remembering right. It bakes up the same as full sugar cake mix, but if you're sensitive to the taste of Splenda, it might not be for you. You can also do a yogurt one which makes kind of a cake/brownie cross -

Here are a bunch of combo suggestions from hungry-girl

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543

My only problem is that this is the type of thing I tend to binge on
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #28  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Duncan Hines Red Velvet + Diet Code Red Mountain Dew = The most delicious red velvet cake EVER

It made 16 cupcakes of 135 cal each. They are awesome!
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #29  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

That's a recipe a lot of vegans use, I've known about it forever but I was always too freaked out by putting Coke in my cake... But... I might just try it.
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 317/257/???

Height: 5'11''

I'm making this right now - at the very least, the batter is tasty!!! hehe
NaturalStupidit is offline   Reply With Quote