Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #16  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletmeshell View Post
Ok, so what was up with those twins? How can you even gain weight there?
I can see gaining a pound or even 2 there, it happens . . . but 9 each . . . . something just didn't seem kosher on that one to me.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #17  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I know these reality shows are suppose to be reality but they really arent. And if you ask me at the end of the day its all about ratings and money. So my advice would be that if you watch those shows do it for fun and nothing more or less. Im not into all these reality shows they are more commical if you ask me.......far fetched
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 221/ticker/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda08 View Post
I know these reality shows are suppose to be reality but they really arent. And if you ask me at the end of the day its all about ratings and money. So my advice would be that if you watch those shows do it for fun and nothing more or less. Im not into all these reality shows they are more commical if you ask me.......far fetched
Yeah I totally agree! I only watch it for entertainment. I think that Dan needed to go home and do it with his family. You could tell his motivation is his daughter.
ihavethemusicinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #19  

Height: 5'5

Bob was recognizing the woman's disapointment. There is nothing wrong with that. And someone her size is right to be expecting something more at the ranch

as to the woman who was more than 50% body fat, I think he was trying to point out she is different because of the muscle loss and injury she had. There is really no point in a doctor sugar coating stuff is there?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondocks View Post
I can see gaining a pound or even 2 there, it happens . . . but 9 each . . . . something just didn't seem kosher on that one to me.
I don't even understand how they managaged that. I think it's obvous they were faking it somehow but how could they even drink that much water?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #21  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

One gallon of water is roughly 8 pounds. If they didn't cut their calories for the week and water-loaded, it's possible. Maybe they had lead weights (like the ones fishermen use) sewn into their shorts?
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

The remaining twin had better be careful next week. If he water loaded, which I think he did, then he's going to look like a big old liar when he drops the nine plus whatever he loses this week. The "I don't know what happened" routine isn't going to work if he drops 15+ pounds next week.

The 90 minute exercise thing with the girl was just crap. I started at 47% body fat and I'm maintaining very nicely by closely watching my food choices and doing 45 minutes at the gym four times a week and there's nothing particularly special about me. That scene was clearly all about the drama and not about helping her realize what her future could be. Creepy Hollywood doctor should be a little ashamed of himself.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #23  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Robin THANK YOU for saying that!! It has been going through my mind ALL day! I went back to the gym finally, made it through a really hard 45 minutes, and because of reasons out of my control this week, that was it. And I just kept thinking, How can I do 90 minutes a week/6 times a week??? I get stressed out thinking about that much working out, AND I would be exhausted!
I do watch the show for entertainment reasons. But its also a platform to help the nation's problem with obesity, and sometimes I think they really drop the ball with their influence.
One thing that REALLY bugs me is that I think it was Julie who had PCOS from the previous season? And I know Jillian says she has it, and that other girl on the show MAY have it, but I have NEVER heard it mentioned and discussed on the show! Why?? Everyone I talk to about PCOS says "What's That??" and it bugs me that there isn't more awareness about the disease, which I honestly believe the result of it is that there aren't very many studies on the disease, and there is no protocol except to throw you on birth control and/or Metformin.
I will get off my soap box. But just something's that have irritated me!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #24  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
as to the woman who was more than 50% body fat, I think he was trying to point out she is different because of the muscle loss and injury she had. There is really no point in a doctor sugar coating stuff is there?
It's not sugar coating, it's a lie. You don't have to exercise almost 10 hours a week to maintain a loss. You can eat a lot more if you exercise 10 hours a week, but it's not a requirement. Daily exercise? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean 90 minutes a day six days a week.

It's be like saying to a high school kid "you know, if you get into a good college, you'll have to study four hours a day outside of class just to make Bs and Cs." That's not motivating, it's just a lie and depressing.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #25  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

Something else I noticed is that Bob was pissed the doctor upped that one guy's calories. I know he just wants the guy above the yellow line but it made me think about that one former contestant calling the trainers out for pushing them to dehydrate, etc.
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #26  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkHoodie View Post
One thing that REALLY bugs me is that I think it was Julie who had PCOS from the previous season? And I know Jillian says she has it, and that other girl on the show MAY have it, but I have NEVER heard it mentioned and discussed on the show! Why??
I feel the exact same way about the fact that a lot of the contestants have sleep apnea and begin to get treated while they're at the ranch. Since treating my sleep apnea has been the (THE) key for me getting my health back, it kinda p$sses me off that they obviously KNOW this, treat the contestants, and don't shout from the rooftops to every obese person watching the show that this might be something to look into for themselves. They have such an opportunity to educate people about stuff like that and they totally drop the ball.

I enjoy watching the show, love the transformation moments at the end. But IMHO it's value-less in terms of teaching viewers how they, too, can achieve sustainable weight loss. Which is fine, it's just a show I suppose.

Last edited by shannonmb; 01-20-2011 at 06:23 AM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #27  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

Height: 5'6"

Shannonmb - exactly. I watch it for reality tv entertainment and some moments of inspiration. Not for education on sustainable weight loss.

I must admit the twins gaining was some good reality tv drama. :P
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

I enjoy TBL for the drama and also for inspiration, but I don't think it's a good way to lose weight in reality, or a good way to keep it off. I was more inspired last season (or maybe the one before) by the people who weren't on the ranch for more than a couple days, and did it at home. That really inspired me.

I was also baffled by the twins. That was just nuts to me. I didn't count calories and completely went off program for three weeks in December (was eating crap I had denied myself for too long - fudge, cookies, etc) and I gained 6 pounds (not proud of that, but it shows me I need to allow myself some of those things so I don't binge). And I ate a LOT. DH and I figured they must have water loaded or something. That's just a ton of weight.
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSewmama View Post
I enjoy TBL for the drama and also for inspiration, but I don't think it's a good way to lose weight in reality, or a good way to keep it off. I was more inspired last season (or maybe the one before) by the people who weren't on the ranch for more than a couple days, and did it at home. That really inspired me.

I was also baffled by the twins. That was just nuts to me. I didn't count calories and completely went off program for three weeks in December (was eating crap I had denied myself for too long - fudge, cookies, etc) and I gained 6 pounds (not proud of that, but it shows me I need to allow myself some of those things so I don't binge). And I ate a LOT. DH and I figured they must have water loaded or something. That's just a ton of weight.
I don't understand that either. 9 pounds of water? then they stood there for two hours without "going" doesn't seem likely
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
I don't understand that either. 9 pounds of water? then they stood there for two hours without "going" doesn't seem likely
But I know I read somewhere that the scale they stand on, isn't the real scale. They are weighed in earlier in the day/week/whatever at the doctor's office, on a medical scale, and the "scale" at the weigh in is just for show. But it's the first time they see the number.
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote