3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I've been bad.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/221860-ive-been-bad.html)

EvilGidget 01-09-2011 07:17 PM

I've been bad....

OK... we are getting hit one right after another with snow storms, and it is really starting to affect me.

The past 3 days... I have ate everything from cheeseburgers, hot dogs, french fries, pasta... etc etc....

I have GOT to figure out a way to stop ... tonight we are supposed to get another 10 inches... which means even longer I will be cooped up in this house with nothing but food... and wanting to lay around.

I've done so well... I don't want to cave now... God help me!

twinmommaplusone 01-09-2011 07:26 PM

My question is

"WHY DO YOU HAVE THESE KINDS OF FOODS IN YOUR HOUSE" ?

That's the first problem I can see. If you only have healthy foods then all you can overeat on is healthy foods. Hot dogs are Not healthy!

I live in a Cold Climate and you can be aware of the storms and prepare yourself to be house bound.

Everything about weight loss for ME has been planning and preparing. Setting myself up for Success.

Can You Say you do the Same?

seagirl 01-09-2011 07:29 PM

Get out and start shoveling snow. And get that garbage out of your house.

Why isn't your house set up as a successful environment for you?

If you don't set yourself up to succeed, you won't.

You need to decide if you are really committed to getting your excess weight off. Or if you are looking for the next excuse not to.

luckymommy 01-09-2011 08:24 PM

First of all, I want to offer some :hug: I know what it's like to be caught in a vicious cycle. I think most people have been where you are at one point or another. In fact, I was in your spot just a few days ago. The only thing that worked for me was making the decision to go low carb. I never thought I'd do it in a million years because I love my carbs, but I was watching my husband drop weight like you wouldn't believe doing it. I eat veggies, low fat cheeses, low fat greek yogurt and lean meats and fish. The amazing thing is that it has really helped me with my cravings. It was super tough the first few days but now, I'm feeling a lot better....more hopeful...because I was SO sick of this crazy cycle. It's definitely not for everyone, but I thought I'd just mention it to you in case you were interested.

Either way, I'd also remove the tempting stuff from the house if at all possible. I"d also make myself do a workout dvd every day. Drink lots of water. Drink hot tea for comfort. When you watch t.v., try to do lunges, squats, push ups and crunches during commercials. If you get a craving, chew gum or call a friend or come here to read success stories. But, mostly, it's not about that....we can all do well...it's a matter of getting our heads straight. So, commit yourself to doing it right for just one day. No excuses. Then, once you can prove yourself that you can do one day, then do another and another and just keep taking it one step at a time. Most of all, focus on all that you have accomplished and be GOOD to yourself as you would with a dear friend. We tend to have such a negative voice in our minds and it's not helpful at all. I hope you feel better soon. :hug:

theox 01-09-2011 08:31 PM

I think luckymommy's suggestions are right on.

In addition to getting rid of foods you don't want to eat and doing more exercise, are there any other activities you can do around the house? Repair projects, cleaning, books to read (or reread), any hobbies like knitting or painting that can be done indoors, anything at all that can be done indoors and doesn't involve food?

pucedaisy 01-09-2011 08:41 PM

make a batch of delicious veggie-rich soup, stew, chili or curry. warming comfort food to feed your body and soul!! there are lots of recipes on 3fc or browse the internet for other ideas.

goal4agirl 01-09-2011 10:06 PM

I can relate! I also am one of those who just can not have tempting foods around. I too have trouble with self control. But I am trying to change. Make a grocery list and plan your meals and snacks out. As soon as you can get to the store buy fruit: oranges, apples, clementines, red seedless grapes. Bring those home wash them and put them in baggies in the fridge (grapes).
Another thing I do is something to get my mind off of eating...brush my teeth (that makes you not want to eat for a while), give myself a facial, manicure, pedicure, tweeze eyebrows, etc. A day of beauty. Then exercise videos. It makes you feel so good about yourself.
Please don't beat yourself over the head! You had a little slip- you called out for help- you can do this! You have worked way too hard to lose ground now. :hug: Come on sweetheart hang in there;)

Nola Celeste 01-09-2011 10:21 PM

You've gotten some excellent advice so far; I don't know that I could add much to it. :)

One thing I would like to ask, though--do you find guilt a useful motivator? For some people, it is, but for me, it's been the occasion for total collapses. I've let guilt end friendships for me (I've said something I regret and feel too guilty ever to speak to the person again), end diets for me ("I screwed up so badly, may as well give it up"), end projects for me ("I misspelled a word on that company's brochure, so I won't pursue any further business from them because I'm SURE they wouldn't have me anyway").

Phrases like "I've been bad" sound like guilt talking. Does this help you out and motivate you to change, or let you wallow in it? If it's the former, then I applaud you for being able to turn something destructive into a positive, but if it's the latter, you probably need to find a way to let go of it.

The past few days are just that--past. This day, you can go shopping for stuff that isn't hot dogs and pasta. This day, you can shovel snow. This day, you can be a whirling dervish of housecleaning. This day, you can cook non-stop to fill your house with home-cooked foods that are great for you and your family. This day, you can treat yourself with kindness--give yourself a mani/pedi, splurge on some luxury you'd been putting off buying, get yourself a new book.

The past is prologue, nothing more. You don't need to keep doing what you've done and felt guilty for doing before. There are much better things to do for yourself--things you deserve to do for yourself. :hug:

OhMyDogs 01-10-2011 02:05 AM

I just want to suggest going out to play in the snow. Go sledding, if you don't have a sled, a piece of cardboard in a plastic garbage bag works wonders! It's a lot of fun, gets you outside, and I would think it would count as exercise too!

Charmsey 01-10-2011 11:41 AM

I can't add much either. You have some great advice.

When I get hungry, or just feel the urge to eat, because usually I'm not really hungry... I try to get up and do something else. I work on homework. I walk around. It's snowing, so you could go sledding or shovel snow (great exercise!).

Try to get the tempting, bad for you foods out of the house. This is really hard for me - I live in a dorm and my roommates bring in Easy Mac, Ramen, Chips, etc. But if you can have a stock of healthy, good tasting foods, it helps! Plan ahead.

My last suggestion is to make a list of all the great things you've done to lose weight and why it makes you feel good. When you get that urge to snack on unhealthy foods, check that list out. It might change your mind.

Good luck with your time home! I know it's hard, but if you're active and eating right, it will be far more enjoyable!!

graycyn 01-10-2011 12:09 PM

As above, you've gotten great advice. I find it difficult to be snowed in as well, and I live in a town of hills, so driving about and doing errands is icy and dicey. And I hate cold, because when it dips below freezing, my fingers start to get frostbit fast.

But when it snows, I get out and shovel our driveway and walks, I put music on inside and dance about or do a walking DVD, I clean house, etc... But the first thing is that I don't keep tempting junk in the house. I know some folks think they do this for other family members, but the truth is, none of that stuff is good for the rest of the family either. So if at all possible, get it out of there!

Anyway, waiting until it warms a little to go snow shoveling myself, we got another batch dumped on us last night too.

Beverlyjoy 01-10-2011 04:29 PM

You've gotten some good advice. I just want to add that you have not been 'bad'. I hate to see you label yourself as bad. Your reaction to these circumstances caused some unhelpful and not healthy behaviors. Life isn't just good and bad with food. Be kind to yourself.

EvilGidget 01-10-2011 06:15 PM

Thank you all....

For the record... my house has nothing but healthy food... but I was able to get out of the house for 2 days before getting snowed back in... while I was out, I was also off work and the family and I enjoy going out to eat... well... I went out almost every meal for those 2 days... it was like I was trying to make up for lost time or something.

I have been much better today, since I can't get out and go anywhere.

I know it's crazy, but thinking about it... I think that my process has been that of a hibernating bear or something... I knew that I was getting snowed in, and I knew that I would be here in the house cooped up for days, so it was as if I was hoarding food in my body!! Really bad thing is I hoarded the fattest foods I could! URGGHH

Oh well... I refuse to let my little slip up derail me. I don't care if it's spring before I get back to normal... I WILL get back to normal. Normal for me now is exercising and eating right.... and I have really felt like crap the past couple of days because of my eating. Really makes me realize just how much better I do feel when I'm doing what I need to do.

Thanks again for all your comments and support!

TooManyDimples 01-10-2011 06:30 PM

I completely understand how you feel. The hibernation thing is pretty spot on. Last year when we had two major storms and couldn't drive anywhere, my husband actually walked to the store to get some snacks because he wanted them so bad.

You know what you did wrong and you know how to do right. Just a bump it seems you've already gotten over. It's hard sometimes, I know. Just keep keeping on. You've done so great so far. =)

LolaCrane 01-10-2011 07:10 PM

Good luck to you, hon! I was so relieved to see your post after all that fantastic advice and to learn that you don't actually HAVE all that stuff in your house! Wow - WAY to sabotage! You've done so well on your journey, too! I can't add anything else to the litany of good stuff these ladies have shared with you other than to underscore that each day is a new day, and the opportunities to succeed are there to be explored! Dont' beat yourself up for slipping - it's going to happen! Just consciously CHOOSE what to put in your mouth, and know that you are in control of every single decision you make! Now, go dump the rest of that weight. You'll be ecstatic!