3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I am having trouble forgiving myself for overeating and gaining last month. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/221202-i-am-having-trouble-forgiving-myself-overeating-gaining-last-month.html)

Beverlyjoy 01-04-2011 06:46 AM

I am having trouble forgiving myself for overeating and gaining last month.

I am mad at myself. I let stress, anxiety, disappointment over having to cancel my surgery again (Dec 2 - third cancellation), and the bombardment of unhealthy holiday food take over my life. I had some horrible binges. I am feeling ashamed of myself. (it's been a long time since I've had this feeling) I am just plain disappointed in my response to my feelings (positive and negative) still being centered around food. It's like that comfy old teeshirt that I slip back into food/eating. But, it's a faux-comfort. The food only 'helps' for a moment. Seems like I have been working on this food stuff forever. When will I ever learn. My clothes are tighter and I feel discouraged.

So I say to myself... what would I tell a friend in the same position. I'd say - it's in the past and ya can't change it, only learn from it. Forgive yourself, be kind to yourself and move forward. This is one of those times where it's - ‘do as I say not as I do‘. I am not treating myself as a friend. I feel like this backslide into crazy eating just is so negative.

I have had three very healthy days... I am grateful for that. I know I must dust myself off and start again for the millionienth time. I've read from Dr. Judith Beck's Book - the chapter on Dealing with Discouragement, many times in the last few days. It says that when I have these discouraging thoughts I have a choice: "1. I can allow them to erode my motivaiton, give up and abandon everything. or 2. I can vigourously respond to the these sabatoging thoughts, feel better, become more motivated and continue to work toward my goal." Also says to focus on what I can do today. I have the tools and am trying to rustle up more willingness today.

I almost feel like my life is in a 'holding pattern' until I get the recent weight gain off. I need to step away from this!

Thanks for listening.

jab91864 01-04-2011 06:54 AM

I am the stress Queen, I over think everything. I've made drastic changes to my personal life the last 18 mos trying to "find" a better place inside myself.

You are right food is like an old familiar t-shirt, the ratty one we keep in the back of the closet we don't let other ppl see us wear...lol. I wish I could toss it to the wayside and say never more but that would be unrealistic.

As you know when we dwell in the past we cannot move forward so as hard as it is we need to look to this day and forget yesterday. So don't be disappointed over the mistakes of yesterday be happy you know the path and can find the steps you need to take today....

Be blessed !!!!!!!!!

dgramie 01-04-2011 07:16 AM

I can totally relate to what your going thru. I have been going thru it for a year now. I gained in late 2009 a total of 20lbs back and I spent 2010 trying to get it off but all the time not letting go of the fact that I had gained. I didnt add in exercise enough to lose the weight back.
SO it is what it is and start fresh NOW!!!

Rosinante 01-04-2011 08:12 AM

I can relate in the sense that I won't feel slimmer again until I retrieve the Christmas weight gain
but
I enjoyed every bite.
I'm slimmer still than I've been for years.
I'm gradually modifying my eating back down to weightloss levels. Cold turkey (ew) doesn't work for me

I think all you can do is continue plodding on with doing it right, until it becomes once again automatic.
Have a :hug:

DixC Chix 01-04-2011 10:09 AM

Maybe do something symbolic: Write down all the feelings, thoughts, reasons, excuses, rationalizations, etc and then burn it. Its gone, done, over.

Slashnl 01-04-2011 10:55 AM

I want to say all of the things to you that you mentioned you would say to a friend.
"I'd say - it's in the past and ya can't change it, only learn from it. Forgive yourself, be kind to yourself and move forward."

But I also know that you need to feel that from yourself. I don't know what the answer is on that because so many times we are so hard on ourselves. I hope that you can allow for self-forgiveness and recognize that you have had quite the battle over the past few months. It would be hard on anyone!

Hang in there!

Beverlyjoy 01-04-2011 11:07 AM

Slashnl, Dixie chix, dgrammie, rosinante, & jab. Thank you so much for your wonderful thoughts and ideas. You all have good ideas, thoughts and are being helpful so much.

Thanks, again.

Jojo381972 01-04-2011 11:28 AM

I agree with Slashni. It is so easy to be hard on ourselves, but sometimes we have to look at how far we have come. I am the best at beating myself up at times, because it motivates me to get going.

Sometimes we are our only cheerleaders, and being kind to ourselves no matter will help to move us towards our goals. You can do it! :)

time2lose 01-04-2011 12:48 PM

I understand because I have been there and done that. You really said it all in your post. Forgive yourself and move on. In the short term this weight gain will affect you but, if you get it under control, it won't affect you in the long term. If you let it keep pulling at you, it could affect your long term results. So forgive and learn from it and then go forward.

goal4agirl 01-04-2011 12:54 PM

I love this quote you have on your signature:
"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

yes you have the tools- take all those bad negative feelings and use it- to motivate yourself. It's not over- all is not lost.;) :hug: :tread:

Tai 01-04-2011 01:08 PM

We really are our own worst enemies! You are always so kind and supportive to others, you've got to extend that to yourself now and not beat yourself up. I think you are doing great to be back on track for three days now. Just keep adding to that one day at a time.

Hugs and good thoughts to you during this stressful time.

saef 01-04-2011 01:28 PM

Okay, Bev:

Three Hail Marys, an Our Father, and donate three carby items to a food pantry or food drive near you.

Then a half-hour on the nearest treadmill, wearing two shirts, neither of which you're allowed to remove for an hour afterward.

Then go forth & sin no more.

It's a new year.

[I have no idea of your religious or ethnic background, but if you were one of my friends, from a "churched" background, this is pretty much what you'd be looking for, in your heart of hearts.]

time2lose 01-04-2011 01:35 PM

:rofl:

Saef,

Love your post! Are you available for public speaking? Or better yet, they could really use you as a new trainer on The Biggest Loser.

Loving Me 01-04-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy (Post 3632117)
I almost feel like my life is in a 'holding pattern' until I get the recent weight gain off. I need to step away from this!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice Beverley, but just wanted to let you know that THAT is just how I feel right now. I gained 2.5lbs over Xmas and New Year and 1lb of that came straight off, but the other 1.5lbs is just taunting me and it sucks :(
It is really affecting my mood, I feel angry and tearful the whole time and it's affecting DH and DD as well which I know is not fair. I'm realising this past few days I really do have a problem with daily weighing and punishing myself when the number goes up, but I don't know how to handle it....:?:

dragonwoman64 01-04-2011 07:26 PM

just wanted to say "I hear ya!" and "I can relate!"

I understand why I did what I did. I don't really regret eating the things I did (well, mostly), but it's not so fun to face the high numbers again and have to re-lose what I lost before. I had a good Sunday, a good Monday, and a good today. Sounds like you're getting back on track. Sometimes it's more helpful to let go of the past and try to take whatever lesson we can from it: "Um, Marge, this is what you WILL experience if you take this road again -- Easter is around the corner (and all the candy and goodies that holiday brings with it too). Plan ahead, girl!"