3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Awesome CANADIAN show! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/221178-awesome-canadian-show.html)

Trazey34 01-03-2011 10:10 PM

Awesome CANADIAN show!

Did anyone catch "Village on a Diet" tonight on CBC? It was great! a small community in B.C. commit to losing 2 thousand pounds as a group. They focus on different people/couples/kids/DOGS! everyone's in on the action, it was really cool to hear the Canadian accent on a reality show, talking about Kraft Dinner and Tim Horton's LOL

I'm hooked!

ALM 01-03-2011 10:35 PM

What tme was it on? I think I would like to see it!! What do you mean... we Canadians don't have an accent... lol :D

cherrypie 01-03-2011 10:37 PM

darn. Did that start tonight? I wanted to see it.

oh, I'm in bc. Maybe it isn't too late.

SnowboundChick 01-04-2011 12:17 AM

I'm watching it right now.

Canadian accent? We don't have accents.

Ookpik 01-04-2011 12:18 AM

What accents? LOL

If you missed the show, you may be able to watch it at cbc.ca.

Coondocks 01-04-2011 09:19 AM

I think that's a fanastic way to get community involvement. Wish I would have caught that on TV . . . . any idea if there will be re-runs?

I think I'm in the minority, but after living in the US for 4 years . . . I finally 'heard' my accent, only took 3 1/2 years of living there to hear it :p

sept15lija 01-04-2011 09:45 AM

Cool!! Gonna have to check that out.

DixC Chix 01-04-2011 10:03 AM

I am from Detroit MI and we got the CBC broadcasts which I miss terribly now that I live in NM. I wish they would make it an option on cable and satellite TV. I will see if it can be watched on line. Sounds fascinating.

Accent? Um, yeah it is different from midwest US but so is a US southern accent, Texas, NY, Boston, Maine, etc.

I always tell people that growing up on the border allowed me to become bilingual in Canadian!!! I know your national anthem as well as I know mine. Yours is easier to sing.

Besides the "eh" vs. "you know" difference, the inflections are different:
Organization ~
Can: or-gan-I-say-shun vs. US: or-gan-eh-zay-shun

Whatever, it is charming and I hope you never change it.

Jojo381972 01-04-2011 11:23 AM

^Cute! Most Americans say that we say, 'aboot' instead of 'about,' but I never notice that.

I've seen the previews, but I didn't think the show had started yet. I look forward to seeing it.

SnowboundChick 01-04-2011 01:41 PM

I liked it! I had a different feel than the US shows on weight loss. It will be interesting to follow this one. Monday nights I guess.

By the way I say organ-I-zay-shun. ;)

Aclai4067 01-04-2011 01:50 PM

Maybe it's because my Mom is from Michagan/Ohio, but I don't think most Canadians have accents (except those from Quebec). I've been to Canada 3 times, lived with Canadian roommates for 5 months and met plenty of Canadians while traveling, and I've never heard anyone say "aboot"

Oh, and is there somewhere we can watch it online?

SnowboundChick 01-04-2011 01:59 PM

Okay, I admit that I do hear an accent on East coasters and I did here a bit in the show last night.

Trazey34 01-04-2011 02:23 PM

i think everyone's right! as a whole, we have a very generic accent - i think that's why there's so many Canadians in broadcasting -- but sometimes, man you can hear the Canadian, eh? LOL things like "PROcess" vs PRAcess and just hearing folks talk about kraft dinner and tim hortons, and i LOVED that no one looked to be there for 10 minutes of fame, no one had a 'publicist' on the go! And yes, the trainer made a girl throw up but in a better way than Jillian on TBL in my opinion ;)

I think you can see some of it on the CBC website! it'll be on every monday night @ 9 pm

josey 01-31-2011 11:05 PM

Are you guys still watching? I love the show. It actually is quite motivating and inspiring.

Trazey34 01-31-2011 11:14 PM

yes, I'm a fan! I like how real it is, that it takes a long time and a lot of effort, not just a quick montage and then *poof* you're skinny LOL