3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I need to get organized! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/221057-i-need-get-organized.html)

gagirl1 01-02-2011 11:55 PM

I need to get organized!

I am greatly organized in my mind. In reality, not as much as I could be. DH is a pack rat and that really derails my organizational thoughts and ideas. He also is always on his computer game so he doesn't want to help get things under control. It feels like this is just one more thing I've always used as an excuse to not take care of myself. That probably sounds crazy but in my mind it just seems like there is so much disorder that I can't get control over and I've put myself in that category. From now on I'm making a conscious effort to separate myself from that chaos and realize that the one thing I can control is me.

I'm no longer going to feel guilty for taking 30 minute or an hour to do something good for me. The dishes, vacuuming, ____________ (fill in the blank) will still be there when I'm done. My new attitude is that I'll have more energy to do stuff around the house if I'm more active and eating healthier. I have to remember that the weigh wasn't gained overnight and the clutter didn't just appear one day. They'll both take some work to get rid of. Life is a work in progress.

Bunti 01-03-2011 01:24 AM

Hey.... I can identify. You're right. We can't let someone else drag us into chaos. Take baby steps. We can do this!!

No room for guilt, take care of you!!

toobig 01-03-2011 07:24 AM

Has anyone else ever checked out the fly lady website? She has some ideas about getting organized.

gagirl1 01-03-2011 07:46 PM

I'm familiar with her website and tried making a control journal several years ago. I like a lot of her ideas although I don't use them regularly. The tool I've probably used the most is the one that would probably be the most discouraged and that is the marathon cleaning. For those unfamiliar, choose 2 spaces such as the kitchen and living room. Clean the first for 15 minutes, when the timer goes off you move to the second area for 15 minutes. The last 15 minutes of cleaning is spent back in the first area. The final 15 minutes of the hour is your break to relax and enjoy your accomplishments.

I subscribed to her website at one time but the number of emails and suggestions for what to do in one day were too much for this working mom to handle.

Summerblue 01-03-2011 07:57 PM

That is one area that I can say I am successful in .................being organized.

My DH was a packrat too......I de-packratted him and converted him. But that did take 17 years :)

I simple stopped buying STUFF...of any sort. That helps stop the stacks and piles.
Sort mail over the trash can.
Then you can start on YOUR stuff - your closet, etc... You'd be amazed at what you'd find then have a garage sale :)

I have found having less clutter is so relaxing.

I do have things on the walls, but my walls aren't 100% completely covered and my house isn't over decorated, again.....I find it relaxing.

Maybe your DH might find it less stressfull and more relaxing to play computer games in a cleaned out house :)