3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Are YOU The Next Biggest Loser? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/220084-you-next-biggest-loser.html)

redreine 12-20-2010 02:09 PM

Are YOU The Next Biggest Loser?

I thought about putting this in the actual BL section of the site, but decided against it for practical reasons. (You must be 100 pounds or more overweight to even be considered for the show)

I've only watched the very first and the most recent seasons of the show, but for the past 3 seasons, I keep finding myself printing off the application, filling it out, and then deciding against making the 10 minute home video and sending it all in.

I know all the pros and cons that have been discussed over the years about the show, including the reality that it's not very realistic to expect any of the cast to maintain weight loss once they return to their lives. However.

I still want to try. Something in me keeps telling me I need to at least TRY. Maybe it's my more dramatic side which tends to feed off the limelight? Who knows...but I think I'm really going to fill out the application and send in the home video this year.

So tell me. Have any of you tried out/considered trying out for the show? Discuss any thoughts/opinions! :carrot:

Transporter 12-20-2010 02:13 PM

I have never filled out the app, but i always thought it would be cool to be a contender since im a competitive person, i say go for it! send your video, what do you have to lose? you will only get to choose what to do after they said you can do the show, why not? go for it!

Shmead 12-20-2010 02:35 PM

I would worry that planning to be a contestant "someday" might be a way to keep from doing anything today. This isn't aimed at you--I don't know you, after all--but I do know people who, IMO, use agonizing over whether or not to have WLS (or even if they should start talking to a doctor about it) as basically a perpetual excuse to eat whatever they want/not exercise today. The "somedays" are one of the most pernicious ways we lie to ourselves.

Personally, I'd never do it. At my heaviest, I never mentioned or alluded to my weight to anyone. I can't imagine going on TV. Even now, I actively avoid any chance to be on TV/have my picture in the paper. I don't like that sort of attention.

QuilterInVA 12-20-2010 02:35 PM

I think if you watch some of the reunion shows, you will see that many don't gain all their weight back. It's all in behavior modification and the 7 months it takes from the beginning of the filming to the final weigh in is plenty of time to learn to eat healthy, exercise, and keep it off.

vdander24 12-20-2010 02:43 PM

I haven't seriously considered it, but my sister has.... FOR ME!!! She thinks my competitive nature would make me successful. I am worried that the show would help, but that I wouldn't maintain.

redreine 12-20-2010 03:14 PM

I just printed off the application, and I'm going over to my best friend's place tonight to discuss how we're going to make this video.

Personally, I feel like I will be able to maintain my weight loss because I have a very large support system. (no pun intended)

I know I could do this on my own without BL. I worry though that my issue with weight and the fact that I lose and gain so often (aside from medical issues) is that I don't know how to deal with the emotional side of it. My hope is that if I were to be picked for the show, I would get the emotional help I need to push forward and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and likewise be able to turn around and "pay it forward" in my community and beyond.

ChrissyBean 12-20-2010 03:30 PM

No, totally not my style--I don't even WATCH the show.

Good luck to you, though. :)

rachael 12-20-2010 03:36 PM

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-1-of-3/

I would read that before making a decision. That said, it's all up to you. Whatever works for you, but just remember that very few people who try out actually get picked and that can be a huge disappointment, too.

Eliana 12-20-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transporter (Post 3614512)
I have never filled out the app, but i always thought it would be cool to be a contender since im a competitive person, i say go for it! send your video, what do you have to lose? you will only get to choose what to do after they said you can do the show, why not? go for it!

Yes, the competitive side of me says I'd have done it too. Yeah, I considered it, but never seriously.

But you know what? I think they all end up with saggy skin. I know that's a common risk we all take. If I'd have had it my way, I'd have lost this weight FAST and dealt with the saggy skin. If you gave me two pills and told me both would make me lose weight but one would take three years and no saggy skin and the other would take six months but with saggy skin, I'd have taken the six months with saggy skin!! :dizzy: But now that I'm here and my body had other ideas (thank you body) I have lost the weight very slowly and I have no saggy skin.

So in hind sight...from my own personal experience...I would no longer do it. It's too fast.

shellsbrood 12-20-2010 05:45 PM

I don't think I could ever stand on a scale in front of the whole world in tight work-out shorts and a sports bra with my flaws hanging out for everyone to see. Every time I see the contestants take off their shirts, I feel so bad for them! I'm so self conscious, I could never do that. But, that's just me. :D You might have more self confidence and completely rock the entire show. :carrot: There's no harm in applying, right?:)

kaplods 12-20-2010 05:59 PM

I'm not going to criticise TBL, because it stirs up too much controversy, but if you do get selected for the show, I would beg you to make sure a lawyer looks over all your contracts and releases before you sign any of them.

Do not sign your life away, make sure you fully understand what you're giving away.

shellsbrood 12-20-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachael (Post 3614633)
http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-1-of-3/

I would read that before making a decision. That said, it's all up to you. Whatever works for you, but just remember that very few people who try out actually get picked and that can be a huge disappointment, too.

Oh, wow. I just read that and rescind my "no harm in trying" comment.

Aclai4067 12-20-2010 07:50 PM

I printed out the application a few seasons ago, and then got totally depressed by the fact that I didn't HAVE 3 guy friends to list on it. I also was deterred by the logistic of fitting it in with job hunting. I couldn't put off job hunting in hopes of making the show, and I couldn't leave a new job if I got one to be on the show

shannonmb 12-20-2010 08:38 PM

What the heck, go ahead and make a video. Just doing that might be motivation to keep going strong!

I would guess that there are hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of people who apply each season, so I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high. But you never know, right? If you think it's something you could rock, go for it!

GirlyGirlSebas 12-20-2010 08:41 PM

I say Go For It! I would love to do it, but can't take the time off of work. Also, many of the contestants do lose in a healthy way. Not everyone's experience is like Kai's.