How do you handle Movie Theater?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I LOVE popcorn at the Movie Theater. I love going to the theater. What are some tricks you use there? All I want when I go is a big greasy vat of popcorn and a huge drink...its hard because so many theaters are cracking down on outside food. I wish I could take my Pepsi max in with me. :P So if anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate it!
  • I microwave my lowfat popcorn at home and bring a water. I stick it all in my pocket book. Last time i went, i took in a huge low calorie hot chocolate in my pocketbook lol!!
  • I bring in bottled diet soda in my bookbag. I just sneak it in. Movie popcorn is so ridiculously bad for you. Its really shocking the amount of calories and fat is in it.
  • I usually just take a small snack from home!
  • If I'm really feeling the urge for the popcorn I'll skip the meal closest to the time I'm going to movies, and have a small unbuttered popcorn (it's greasy enough that you don't even miss the topping). More often than not I'll bring something from home or get something at the store before the movies, and stick it in my purse.
  • I bring my own popped popcorn (low-calorie kind) and a bottle of water. If you bring it in a bag no one will say anything. I've never been searched! : )

-Dhani
  • I used to get the small unbuttered popcorn until I actually looked up the calories-- movie theater popcorn is AWFUL.

I don't eat at the theater at all.
  • I believe in moderation.. I tend to eat popcorn very slowly during the commercials and usually dont eat anymore once the movie starts, and i get a diet soda.
  • i've always hated movie popcorn,it's WET! and eating crunchy food in a crowded theatre always seemed so rude for some reason LOL I love that theatres are more 'cosmopolitan' now and offer a lot more stuff - I'm boring cuz I'm a big fan of getting a hot tea, it molten hot at the beginning so it's half a movie nursing it along at least.
  • I would love to say I bring my own popcorn and drinks, and eat perfectly. The sad truth is that I LOVE the popcorn there, even though I know it is horrible.

The last movie I went to was Harry Potter, and I got a kids pack. (no, I did NOT take any children with me) Most important for me is the price.
    A kids pack has popcorn, a 12oz drink (cup) and a candy of choice for anywhere from 5.50-7.00 depending on the candy. I left the popcorn unbuttered, filled the 12oz cup with lemonade and water, and got a candy my sister wanted to eat.

It really is the best bargain in the place. The popcorn portion is more reasonable. On a positive note, I have not been to the movies since June (other than Harry Potter), so this really hasn't been an issue.

I would say, if you are going to splurge, check out the kids option.
  • Try getting out of the habit of mindlessly eating for 2 straight hours. You aren't going to starve during a movie, you aren't paying attention to your food during it so why bother?

Watch the movie without food, and then go have a meal that you can pay attention to.

You can want the popcorn and love the soda but it doesn't mean that you actually have to buy and consume them.

Part of the journey to health is changing behaviors that got us here in the first place!
  • Eat your meal before you go to the movies so you won't be hungry, and take snacks from home in your purse... I've been known to take everything except my wallet out of my purse so I could fit in drinks and snacks lol. No one has ever said anything to me.

The popcorn isn't hard for me to pass up ... it's greasy and gets in my teeth
  • Quote: Try getting out of the habit of mindlessly eating for 2 straight hours. You aren't going to starve during a movie, you aren't paying attention to your food during it so why bother?

Watch the movie without food, and then go have a meal that you can pay attention to.

You can want the popcorn and love the soda but it doesn't mean that you actually have to buy and consume them.

Part of the journey to health is changing behaviors that got us here in the first place!
    I love this!
  • I am so glad I have cheap parents. The idea that you HAVE to eat during a movie is really bizarre to me. We never, ever bought movie concessions because they are so over priced--the movie itself was a huge splurge. Three hours without eating is not the end of the world, and like any bad habit, it only takes three times to go from seeming weird not to buy food to seeming normal (of course, it only takes buying food three times for that to become the new normal).

I would never sneak food into a theater because I would be so humiliated if I were caught and told to throw it away. I'd want to die and and I would blush for days. But I am very rule-oriented.
  • Quote: I microwave my lowfat popcorn at home and bring a water. I stick it all in my pocket book. Last time i went, i took in a huge low calorie hot chocolate in my pocketbook lol!!
    "Pocketbook". Are you from upstate NY? That's what I've always referred to it as but have switched finally to "purse" because everyone around here made fun of me just once too often. I think it's like the pop/soda thing.

I do this too, though Pink, I hear you saying they're cracking down on that. In winter coats are great. My coats always have enormous pockets that hold water and a bag of popcorn.