3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   My first hyper-cold reaction! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/219657-my-first-hyper-cold-reaction.html)

Rosinante 12-14-2010 02:51 AM

My first hyper-cold reaction!

All through our recent bad weather, I've layered up - vests, longjohns, the tutti, and been fine.
Yesterday I went to a staff meeting at a colleague's house, and because it was indoors, and the weather's better, I just had single layer clothes on, and a cute woolly scarf wound round my neck. I received lots of comments about how good I looked. Bless, they're all gentlemen of a certain age, and they couldn't put their collective fingers on what it was but decided that I looked good in blue.

The house was cold - but no-one else seemed to feel it so.
I put my coat back on - but my teeth began to chatter; my feet were SSOO cold.
Eventually the meeting ended and I drove home. 5 minutes after I got in, one of my fingers was so cold, it went black!! Fortunately, none of the rest of me did, and the finger came back after 5 minutes but wow! that's a reaction to cold that I don't get very often - especially as it wasn't That Cold compared to the previous week.

I blame the weightloss. ( :) )

Loving Me 12-14-2010 03:21 AM

Oh I SO know how you feel! This winter so far has been awful for me with the cold in the UK. DH thinks it's funny, but seriously it isn't, I am permanently cold, and my fingers and toes, even with gloves and two or three pairs of socks on, are like little blocks of ice. I have been miserable during time spent outside, and have even been sat inside with two fleecy blankets on when DH and DD have been too warm.
I'm hoping what I've heard about our bodies learning to regulate their temperature again after a large weight loss within a year or so is right, because if not I'm in for some miserable winters.

caryesings 12-14-2010 08:51 AM

Yep, went to an office Christmas party on Friday night so in a dress and hose instead of my usual multiple layers and even though I was having a nice time, was really glad when the beau wanted to go home early so I could get warm!

Thighs Be Gone 12-14-2010 09:04 AM

Wow..yes, me too. I also notice how long it takes me to warm up nowadays. When I really get chilled to the bone, it can literally take me an hour or more to feel warm again.

matt_H 12-14-2010 10:23 AM

this morning my finger tips were numb and my fingers white. Its not even that cold, out...this has happened to me several times now.

I'm definitely more sensitive to the cold weather.

kittycarlson 12-14-2010 10:38 AM

I have been hot since menopause. But I am a lot colder now too. We have individual thermostats in our offices and my coworkers comment on it being "warm" in my office. They used to hustle out saying "aren't you freezing." I have fallen back into an old habit from when I was anemic and cold all the time. I come home, eat and then read in a hot tub. It really warms me through and through. I attribute the weight loss for the move from warm to cold.

Rosinante 12-14-2010 12:15 PM

I'm glad it's not just me! I need to go sit in the bath too, sometimes!

Today I was so cold that when I was cleaning up the dog yard, my rings fell off my finger!!

sept15lija 12-14-2010 12:53 PM

Oh my, I've been so cold too! We went out for my birthday dinner and at the restaurant I had to stay in my jacket while I ate because I was so cold! Oh well I guess it's worth it losing the insulation, but must learn to dress differently (I always just wore t-shirts before and still do most of the time!).

starbrite 12-14-2010 01:15 PM

Oh yesss !! I also had black fingers today from standing outside. I was so cold at lunch depite half a ton of broccoli and chicken, that I had to go to the staff room to warm up :) I am permanently cold and DH has bought us a new duvet because I am always complaining of being cold in bed. I think it has a lot to do with weightloss. 95lbs ago I was always too hot ! However I think I'd rather be too cold than too fat :D

Arctic Mama 12-14-2010 01:27 PM

Add me to the list! I am permanently cold these days, it seems, when everyone else is comfortable.

MamaP 12-14-2010 01:47 PM

I am always cold now too. I have always been a short-sleeve year round kind of person. I have a fan under my desk at work that I USED to use year round. If I put on a sweater or say I'm cold my boss will ask if I'm feeling okay because that usually means I'm sick or getting sick. I brought a sweater in from home to keep at my desk for days that I can't get warm - like today. I can no longer keep my thermostat at 64 degrees and be comfortable at home. I keep throws within reach almost always. I mentioned to a co-worker that I am always cold now because of the weight loss and it's very strange for me. She laughed and told me I was crazy, that it had nothing to do with it. I said that nearly 70 lbs of fat kept me well insulated and warm (hot). She just laughed (you know that condescending kind of laugh) and said "yeah, tell yourself whatever you have to tell yourself."

Also, some of your comments above about white fingers and black fingers, etc. made me think of this syndrome/disease that is not that well known called Raynaud's. Here's a link - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...isease/DS00433

justErin 12-14-2010 05:14 PM

Is it possible to experience this only 21lbs. in??? I've been cold a lot more often since I really started working out. My husband thinks it's weird that I am always cold now. But seeing this thread makes me think maybe it's not that strange!