Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #1  
never too late to start

S/C/G: 180/147/135

Height: 5ft 3in

Default minutes old newbie

Just joined the forum minutes ago after seeing a link to it on a Medifast site. I got serious this spring and went from 180 to 147 so far, goal is 135. Couple of quick questions... why is this part of the forum called the 100 lb club? Why are there so many more women on here than men?

Biggest challenge to me on my get healthy journey has been the fact that I seem to be fighting the entire food industry trying to find CHEAP healthy good food. Sugar and fat are cheap... the stuff we should be eating is often not.
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshop View Post
Just joined the forum minutes ago after seeing a link to it on a Medifast site. I got serious this spring and went from 180 to 147 so far, goal is 135. Couple of quick questions... why is this part of the forum called the 100 lb club? Why are there so many more women on here than men?

Biggest challenge to me on my get healthy journey has been the fact that I seem to be fighting the entire food industry trying to find CHEAP healthy good food. Sugar and fat are cheap... the stuff we should be eating is often not.
Hello and welcome!! This is a wonderful place for support, advice, encouragement and information.

This is called the 100 lb club because the members here need to lose about 100 lbs, some more, some less. Everyone is of course welcomed.

Look around, get to know the place. I'm sure you'll find your niche.

I don't know about that. Healthy foods are costly, but so are unhealthy, processed ones.

Eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, apples, canned tomatoes, canned tuna, beans, etc. All relatively inexpensive. Chicken breast, turkey breast, fresh fish all go on sale. Frozen veggies are often on sale too. You can stock up your freezer when it does.

Fresh produce? There's always something available that's in abundance and very reasonably priced.

Sugar and fat may be cheap, but they come at a very expensive non- monetary price. Ones physical and mental health.

I look at any money spent on my health as an investment in my future.

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. I look forward to hearing of your continued progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

The 100 Club is for folks who have 100 pounds or more to lose. But anyone can post in any forum--just keep in mind what the focus is.

It's not all women here--we do have some "roosters." I guess it's mostly that women are more concerned with weight in general, or that men are more likely to "go it alone," but who knows?

Cheap food that is high in fats, salt, and carbohydrates is not really cheap when you factor in the cost of health care if you are overweight or obese. It's a myth that one cannot eat in a healthy way without spending a lot of money.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I see you are in pa. I'm in Pittsburgh, I'm within' the delivery zone of goodapples, I don't know if you work in the city or in wash, but look into them, and if not them, look into other online grocery places nearer to you? Look what I got and the prices! I shop pretty much exclusively at goodapples.com (I don't eat meat but they do sell it) the numbers are the quantity of each item.

Pittsburgh, PA 15213
ITEM QTY TOTAL
Acorn Squash (1539) 1
Anjou Pears(1352) 2
Bananas (3lbs)(1341) 1
Broccoli(1480) 1
Gala Apples(1372) 3
Granny Smith Apples(1337) 3
Green Chili Peppers Mix ( 5oz )(1596) 1
Green Leaf Lettuce(1492) 3
Green Zucchini (1508) 4
Louisiana Yams(1525) 1
Orange Holland Peppers(1501) 1
Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth 32 oz(3684) 2
Red Holland Peppers(1502) 1
Red Onions(1538) 2
Seedless Cucumbers(1541) 2
Sweet Onion(1590) 1
Woodstock Farms Organic Tofu, Extra Firm(5170) 1
Yellow Squash (1510) 2 $

*****SubTotal $50.37
Discount $0.00
*****Total $50.37
You have earned 101 reward Points

Just had that delivered this morning!

Last edited by lottie63; 11-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #5  
jeanne

Height: 5'4"

Hey there lotti63~ I'm from the Pittsburgh area too! Goodapples is in the strip and I heard they recently started a delivery service. I'm not in the delivery zone unfortunately!

Welcome woodshop!
jar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #6  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

jar, cool! I'm in south oakland. (yes, 30, and living right off campus from a school I never attended. lol)

I get the delivery service, the stuff I posted above is from my order today.

If you work downtown they deliver to the offices in the area, or you can order online and they do curbside pick up. it's all packed upa nd they stick it in your truck for you.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Hi woodshop - Congratulations on your weight loss so far. And Welcome to 3FC.

There are indeed a bunch of "roosters" about - I'm one, there are others, and we are in the minority; I don't know why. But many folks don't give unambiguous gender identification when they post (as you haven't, for example), so you can't always be sure.

If you search about, you'll find a bunch of other threads that may interest you. There's a couple about the cost of healthy food. Yep, "Sugar and fat are cheap" and you do have to fight that to stay on your path. I think you're spot on - the food industry is not your friend, LOL.

Do you have an eating plan that you are following? And an exercise plan?

There are forums dedicated to about all the eating plans ("diets") in existence; yours is likely to be here.

Look forward to seeing you around.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #8  
never too late to start

S/C/G: 180/147/135

Height: 5ft 3in

Thanks everybody for the warm reception. OK yes I agree, "cheap" fat/sugar/salt are not cheap when you consider the consequences of their consumption. My blood pressure has dropped since I lost the 30lbs I have so far, but it's still on the high side and I have more to go. I lost almost all of my sense of smell and about 2/3 of my sense of taste several years ago, and thus I tend to put too much salt on things so I can at least taste them since I can't taste the subtle flavors any more.

Bill asked if I had an eating or exercise plan. I lost the first 20 lbs by simply eating less and better foods... more fruits and veggies, less meat, less junk and I started getting more active. I dance several nights a week, and cycle when it's not too cold, as well as power walk at least 3 times a week for an hour plus. So I'm doing something active almost every day. I did hit a wall about 10 lbs ago though where no matter what I ate or did I was not moving on that scale. So I started the Medifast diet with their eating small Medifast "meals" 5 times a day and then their lean and green meal once a day. I followed it pretty close and I lost that last 10 lbs in only 3 weeks. That truly worked as advertized... if you can get past that first week as your stomach shrinks and your body gets used to that kind of thing. For me at least seems if I did what they say by drinking lots of fluids and don't cheat, the less carbs/more protein really seemed to do the trick for me.

We don't have Goodapples here, or at least I have never seen them. I do look for bargains and occasionally find one and stock up. I "discovered" sugar snap peas, and found them for only $2.50 a bag at Wallmart super center and that is my "green" part of my lean and green at least half of the time. I eat those things like candy. When they are fresh and crisp and ice cold out of the fridge, they are irrisistable. When talapia fish is on sale I get couple pounds of it, broil it all up since it doesn't last in the fridge that long, and then that becomes the "lean" part of meals for several days. So yes if you look around and take the TIME (the hard part) to find bargains and do it right, they are out there.

The bottom line though it I have never felt better... I bound up steps now instead of slogging up them. I have had to get all new clothes and I am not complaining about that AT ALL. I just have to stay on course for the next 10-15 lbs.
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote