Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Stress and the scale?

Is it normal (I'm assuming it is, but want reassurance ) for the scale to play games just a bit (or even a lot) when you are under more stress than usual?

I stayed within my calorie budget yesterday, didn't exercise via video, but I did do quite a bit of cleaning I normally wouldn't including moving furniture around so I'm quite sure that the scale being up just a hair today is the stress of putting our dog down today.

I had a pretty hard emotional day yesterday (even broke down and bawled in Walmart ), and last night we told our younger kids (the 4 and 5 year olds) that she wouldn't be with us any more (my 5yo dd was so sweet and asked if the reason she wasn't coming home the same time we are is because the drs are going to work really hard to fix her legs so she can walk again... is sooo broke my heart to tell her no ) and today definately won't be better.... I'm hoping by Monday to be able to pull myself back together emotionally, but until then am I right in assuming that the scale may be all over the place?
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Don't add the stress of the scale to your life right now. Eating healthy, being active to burn off a little of the stress - even if it's just a walk afterward to cry alone... and getting through this day, then Saturday and then Sunday and then back to the routine on Monday are your priority... don't worry about if the scale goes up or down. That's inconsequential - right now your heart needs more care. Cry. Sob. Let the kids see you cry - it's not bad. They'll know they can show their emotions, but it will affect you much, much more than them.

When I had to put my Murphy down, I was stressed because it was a 30-minute window that I had to make the decision all alone. I still cry about his last day. But you've had this decision and the last "day" hanging over your head and your heart for a week or so now - that's high stress ... you need to focus on keeping YOU doing okay and let that scale sit for a week or so. It will be there when this is over and you know that a cup of tea or a cup of light cocoa and a phone call to a friend even if you can't talk and they have to do all the talking will help more than something that's unhealthy comfort food.

But in the end, you're making this decision because you love her and you're showing her you care for her by responsibly ending her pain. You are strong for that. And to heck with the measuring tool of your weight this week.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Stress can definitely play a part. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, it's heartbreaking to lose them. to you and your family during this difficult time.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. We were distraught when we had ours put down. Don't weigh yourself during this period, but stay OP. My father in law died at the beginning of my journey, and I vowed I would stay OP WHATEVER happened.
The scale bounces, stress or no stress - it is part of our physiology. Don't worry about it, concern yourself with comforting your family and remembering the happiness having your dog in your life gave you.
Big
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Yes, I'm sure that added stress is not helping. Our bodies repair with water. I think it holds onto water when we're stressed because it doesn't know why we're stressed and it's preparing (with water) for the impact of whatever the stress may be. That's how I look at it anyway.

I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about you.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I think stress plays a big part in it. But with everything else going on, like previous posters have said, do not worry about the scale. Just concentrate on the family and what you guys need. Keep making good food and exercise decisions and the scale will follow..

Hugs.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks everyone.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Im so sorry..... i agree you shouldnt worry about the scale for the next couple days

However, that said, i dont kno if stress can cause an INCREASE (or bouncing all over) on the scale, but i do know that stress can STOP fat loss in its tracks. The increase in cortisol signals your body to not burn fat for energy.

Irregardless of stress, you should know by now that te scale can jump up and down all the time for absolutely NO REASON (that we can find, at least)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I urge you to focus on your behaviors. Of course keep the scale in mind, but the main focus should be those behaviors.

A little uppage here, a non scale movement there is part of the game. It's not the scales fault. The scale is weighing all of you at a particular time. We are made up of up to 60% water and there are tons of reasons why that changes day to day. Provided you are sticking to your plan, that scale will go down - eventually. You can't let those little blips get to you.

Perhaps make a note next to todays weight that you are under stress - and other notes as they need be every day - this way you will learn your patterns and not be *freaked out* by them. You will learn that when I am stressed - this happens. When I eat a salty meal - this happens. When it's a week before TOM this happens. When it's during TOM - this happens and so on and so on.

Sending good thoughts your way during this difficult time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote