Anyone else feel they are too heavy for some exercises?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • So in the past my usual workouts consisted of WATP videos, well they are tapes and getting old so this time around I wanted to change it up and maybe make it more fun for me to get my cardio in. We have amassed a decent home gym downstairs (an all in one weight system, a bench and a boat load of freeweights, a speed bag and punching bag to keep the hubby happy) and I have been trying to add to my video collection every time I find a deal.

Well fastforward to this time around. I have learned my lessons hard, and plan on making this last forever, so I have to make it something I WANT to do. Well Zumba looks fun to me, so I got it. Well it took me 3 days to get through the basics steps "workout" and well yes it must be a workout because I sweated alot..lol. The downfall, my ankles were KILLING me by day 3 of wokring out (but I finally was able to get through all the steps, even if I didn't get them quite right). Yesterday I decided well if I could manage almost an hour for the basic steps, the 20minute express should be do-able. Ten minutes in I had to stop my ankles hurt so bad I was about in tears.

So put the disks away, have decided they will have to be one of my rewards when I hit a milestone <sigh>

eta: today I did the 2 mile WATP for abs and then went down to the weights for 20 minutes.

Anyone else have the same kind of problem??
  • Yes, when I weighed more, I had trouble with different exercises so I kept it at walking (and WATP) until I was able to do more. I think the 2 miles you did and weights is awesome though Keep at it
  • I used to have problems with muscles in my shins. Shin splints, I believe. The muscles in my shins would ache so bad, I would have to stop. It doesn't happen any more. I think I have built up the muscles.

Make sure you have good foot wear, too.
  • I didn't, but I really, really push myself. I was doing Zumba at my heaviest (302lbs) - I did not start doubling up on classes, however, until recently because of stamina. What kind of shoes are you wearing?
  • They are a cross trainer, but nothing fancy.
  • I actually Zumba in my running shoes (very lightweight) instead of my cross trainers because I always felt really clunky in them. My feet and ankles feel a lot better in lighter shoes with the fast pace of Zumba.
  • Yes, I have been concerned about several exercises and activities the older (and fatter) I've gotten. I would be willing to bet that after you get closer to your goal weight and get those muscles built up, you will have better luck with the Zumba.

I used to do a cardio-salsa class that I loved, until the instructor started having us run in class. I could tell it wasn't doing my body any good because it hurt my knees (and not in a good way), so I decided to revisit the classes when I am in better shape.

I like the WATP videos, they are inclusive of all body types.
  • Wow, I have the same thing..home gym, weight bench, just have an eliptical machine instead of the speed ball.

I too, have a few videos (including WATP) but am starting to get bored with them. I thought about trying the Zumba vids too, but wasn't sure how I would like it, and didn't want to spend the money if I didn't!

Since I've lost 70 lbs, a lot of things have obviously gotten easier for me, but I still have problems with my knees. Vids that ask me to do a lot of lunging, squatting, etc. I usually end up having to modify.

So yes, I feel your pain!
  • Quote: Wow, I have the same thing..home gym, weight bench, just have an eliptical machine instead of the speed ball.

I too, have a few videos (including WATP) but am starting to get bored with them. I thought about trying the Zumba vids too, but wasn't sure how I would like it, and didn't want to spend the money if I didn't!

Since I've lost 70 lbs, a lot of things have obviously gotten easier for me, but I still have problems with my knees. Vids that ask me to do a lot of lunging, squatting, etc. I usually end up having to modify.

So yes, I feel your pain!
    What I bolded was the key for me in the beginning - I modified whatever I couldnt' do (major plyo/jumping and squats, etc) and just kept moving!
  • Contrary to what a lot of folks on 3FC seem to believe, it IS possible to overdo exercise. I had thought I wanted to try Zumba until I watched one class. No way. Same thing with spin classes. No way. I'm just not a masochist! And I'm not planning to be an athlete! I'm better off in something like a step class, and I had to stop doing that for awhile, too.

That said, I am an older person. Someone in their 20s probably has a better chance at hard exercise than I do. Just don't let any trainer or peer pressure make you do something beyond your ability. It's not necessary to be a boot camp junky to lose weight.

Off my soap box now.

Jay
  • Excellent points Jay!!

Lucky for me, I can't afford a gym membership (nor the daycare for my kids so I could use it... nor do I want my kids in daycare but that is a different story..lol), so the only one pressure here comes from me, and well if I'm needing to stop, by golly, I'm gonna stop! More than I can't afford a gym membership, I really can't afford to hurt myself with 4 kids that I homeschool, a hubby and a house to care for... everything would fall apart in an hour
  • fitkristi, I will have to check out different shoes. I'm sooooo not a shoe person..lol.
  • I definitely think that there are some things that I can't (or shouldn't) be doing at this weight. I was running for a while, and was really having problems with my knees. I really like to run, but my knees were hurting me during EVERYTHING then. I have since stopped running, and my knee pain is gone. I am going to wait til I am lighter and then try it again. Also, plyometrics is something that I don't think would be a good idea for me right now. I know it's great exercise, but I'm guessing that a lot of jumping and landing wouldn't have a good effect either at 240! I'd try something with a little less impact for now and then try again after you've lost a little more.
  • Yes!! I have been there. I also too suffered from shin splints when I was heavier. Not a problem anymore. But I do find that even now I have mental barriers that "I can't run!" and interesting enough lately I have tried mental techniques that have helped me break that barrier. I just did my fastest mile yesterday which was 12 minutes 5 seconds, and I cannot believe that it is me running for 5 straight minutes at a time!!
    Walking is great though, its how I started! You WILL lose weight just moving more, so focus on that not on what you can't do, but what you can!!
  • OF course! We have to invest in the BEST shoes with gel insoles and I just plain can't do jumping (my boobs would knock me out). Just keep trying and just do the level you can. It does get easier.