Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I got the Enell bra too. It is the best and I am something like an H!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

FindingFawn - I sooooooo admire your ability to work out at home. I have NEVER been able to do that. It is just too easy for me to say "Later". Before I realized this about myself, I bought and sold more exercise stuff than Walmart has stores!

Anyway, just one more thought on the subject - I was wondering if you were doing an adequate stretch warm-up? The stuff in the video might not be enough or the right kind of muscle warm-up for YOU.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #18  
Out is Through

A pair of Asics really helped me with shin splints..I couldn't walk around the block without my legs hurting and now I can walk and walk and walk!

Any tapes involving upper body strength (pushups in 30 day shred) kill me! And the jumping jacks, fuggedaboutit! I'd give myself two black eyes in a heart beat! Ahem sorry.. New York accent alert

Last edited by Creeech; 11-06-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #19  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

It's great to know I'm not alone.

As far as running, a treadmill is on my wishlist for income tax. We do have an elliptical down there, BUT it's a very cheap all manual one and about kills me just to get the movement right, so I don't use it. The second day on it I pulled a muscle in my leg so bad that I couldn't walk for a week, it has been a dust collector since. Probably should just sell it and buy a better one. Oh and yeah the bra thing.. I have anywhere between an H and a J cup depending on the bra.. the girls will need rolls of duct tape to keep me safe when I start to run...lol.

Definately going to look for other shoes come payday and see if I can find something lighter maybe.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

I really like my Asics gel shoes, but every one is different!
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #21  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This is one of the things about The Biggest Loser that bugs me. They work them to the point of tears and puking! It's ludicrous, unnecessary, and makes people think you have to work out that hard to lose weight and it's simply not true.

For me? I can do anything for five minutes. So no, I guess nothing was too hard at my heaviest, except probably running. I didn't attempt it until I was 200 and even then it was verging on too hard. I ran a mile in 12 minutes and spent the next few days recovering. But if I could do it for five minutes, I pressed forward over the next few months gradually adding speed and time.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

I had the same problem with an elliptical and I am not surprised at 5'3" that you had difficulty with the elliptical. They are made for the average sized person - that means 5'6"+ or long legs. The stance required on the foot pads can overstress connective tissue and muscles in a bad way after just a short period of time - even when the stride is adjusted.

I have tried professional grade ellipticals and I still had a problem. And yep, had a nice one and sold it on Craiglist.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #23  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixC Chix View Post
I had the same problem with an elliptical and I am not surprised at 5'3" that you had difficulty with the elliptical. They are made for the average sized person - that means 5'6"+ or long legs. The stance required on the foot pads can overstress connective tissue and muscles in a bad way after just a short period of time - even when the stride is adjusted.

I have tried professional grade ellipticals and I still had a problem. And yep, had a nice one and sold it on Craiglist.
ORLY? That makes me feel alot better actually. My husband at his heaviest was on the elliptical for ages at a time and I was dying by about minute 3. He's also five foot six to my five foot three so them being designed more for his height makes sense. Kind of like the rest of the real world, us short peeps are not included in the designs, kwim?
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #24  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

My problem exercise at my heaviest was a yoga class. The instructor didn't grasp that even some of the gentle moves were not possible for me due to physical limitation of running into my own fat! I purchased a DVD called Heavyweight Yoga that did take body shape into account. I'm thinking of trying the Yoga class again this winter.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #25  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
This is one of the things about The Biggest Loser that bugs me. They work them to the point of tears and puking! It's ludicrous, unnecessary, and makes people think you have to work out that hard to lose weight and it's simply not true.
EXACTLY!! Even though I will admit I get sucked into the show, it really bugs me at the same time. I will not buy any Biggest Loser products because of it. Its not real life. Exercise incessantly, totally controlled enviroment where someone else makes your food. I just don't IMHO think they set people up for success on keeping it off...
I digress, but its how I feel! Sorry to hijack the thread.
I bought some new running shoes called Ryka and I LOVE them!!! I moved from New Balance to them, and as far as I can see right now, I will keep buying them!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #26  

Nope. I've been back at the gym for a year now. Treadmill, I started out walking and now I'm running. Circuit training, anybody can do that. Swimming, ditto, you are never too fat to swim, you are more buoyant! Started taking Zumba about six months ago and I do it all except some of the more vigorous leaping (our class is taught by a young 20 something man, he can dance like nobody I have ever seen), and I tell you, it is really flattening my stomach plus I lost 4 inches so far in my waist.

Don't tell yourself you can't exercise, start out slow and keep moving, it WILL get easier. I'm 56 years old and need to lose about 80 more lbs, so I'm definitely old and fat, so what. I'm doing it.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Another vote for Asics gel. I wear them for Zumba, treadmillling, the elliptical (which I HATE), etc. They're a nice, light shoe with good arch support. When I do Zumba, I try to jump and leap as much as I can, but I do find that if we do certain songs back to back, my feet will be sore for a bit. I play through the pain, though, as I do love my Zumba...
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #28  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Contrary to what a lot of folks on 3FC seem to believe, it IS possible to overdo exercise. I had thought I wanted to try Zumba until I watched one class. No way. Same thing with spin classes. No way. I'm just not a masochist! And I'm not planning to be an athlete! I'm better off in something like a step class, and I had to stop doing that for awhile, too.

That said, I am an older person. Someone in their 20s probably has a better chance at hard exercise than I do. Just don't let any trainer or peer pressure make you do something beyond your ability. It's not necessary to be a boot camp junky to lose weight.

Off my soap box now.

Jay
yeah, I agree too. esp since I just spent 2 weeks with an injured knee bec I went overboard with the leg presses (!). In general, I have a tough time with knee exercises like lunges too. (that leg pain mentioned may be a build up of lactic acid rather than shin splints.)

sometimes it's not so much not being able to do them at a bigger weight as it is a matter of a little more building yourself up to have the stamina and muscles that will support the exercise.

honestly, I figure I'd better pick physical activity I'm willing to stick to bec I like it and can handle it in general. If I'm dreading doing an exercise, I'm much more likely to skip doing it altogether, which isn't a good thing.

I say all this as a woman in her 40s (if I were in my 20s, I'd probably be more gung ho about pushing boundaries, ha)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #29  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post

For me? I can do anything for five minutes. So no, I guess nothing was too hard at my heaviest, except probably running. I didn't attempt it until I was 200 and even then it was verging on too hard. I ran a mile in 12 minutes and spent the next few days recovering. But if I could do it for five minutes, I pressed forward over the next few months gradually adding speed and time.

I agree completely!! I'm not even sure I'm all that inspired by the show anymore, but I still watch it because.. well I don'[t know..lol

Now I did make it 10 minutes of the Zumba workout before I was about to cry and well if I'm going to cry it's going to be over something more personal than Zumba..lol.

Today I didn't do any "exercise" BUT I spent 3 hours out in the woods helping hubby with firewood.. so loads of lifting heavy logs and dragging lots of "trees" by hand closer to where he was cutting. I hurt like crazy so I am sure it was more than I would have done doing any other workout today!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #30  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

My feet sometime hurt when I'm jogging. I think it is because I was in a motorbike accident a few years ago, and the bike landed on my foot. I never got x-rays but I believe something is not right. If I do too much, my foot will pain.

I don't feel too heavy for exercises, but I do feel somewhat out of shape compared to where I was last year. It is depressing to know that if you stop for any length of time, you lose what you've gained.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote