Innerscan scale, water weight, and new "knowledge"

• I have an Escali digital scale that, in theory, "measures" body fat and water percentage in addition to standard weight. Now, I understand that it doesn't specifically measure these numbers, but instead uses a slight electrical current to measure body density and then uses a formula to calculate fat and water based on the measured density. Since I started my weight loss journey, I have noticed that my water percentage has slowly creeped from about 37% to 38%, and I thought that I must be eating more salt than previously. I was starting to think that I'd need to start monitoring sodium in addition to calories, carbs, and protein, and I wasn't too excited about the extra work (not that it's ever a bad thing to monitor sodium - I just kind of hoped to tackle one hurdle at a time).

However, I just "learned" (I put it in quotes because I read it on the internet) that as our body fat percentage goes down, our water percentage tends to go up... ie a person with over 33% body fat tends to only have a water percentage of 35-49%, but a person with less than 20% body fat could have a water percentage of 58-70%. I previously saw the increase in my water percentage as a bad thing, but now, maybe I can think of it as a good thing, similar to the fat percentage going down

Does anyone out there know if this sounds correct...or makes any sense at all
  • Maybe it's like my food percentage pie chart on spark?

I'm doing 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat,

I notice that if I have too much protein, and not enough carbs, if I add carbs, my protein goes down, even though I didn't take any away.

Same principle?
  • Wow I didn't know that. I'll have to check that out. Your scale sounds so cool. That may be what I ask for Christmas this year!!
    Spixiet- do you think this is why I always lose 2 lbs and gain 1 Lb. back before it sticks. That extra 1 Lb. gained back before I go back down is actually water? I just like to try to figure out what makes things work the way they do

Began 255Lbs. June 2010
    First mini-goal 50 Lbs. lost Oct. 20, 2010 -DONE-
    onederland ????
    Next mini-goal 175 Lbs.

• Sorry, goal4agirl, I can't really explain the way my own body loses weight, much less other people's I still haven't figured out how I seem to lose more weight when I consume about 1300 most days, but up it 1600-1800 every third or fourth day, instead of just sticking to 1300 every day. I've read that starvation mode is a myth, but my body just doesn't seem to agree I have no idea how the fat loss/water % gain works itself out, if it actually is true....as we all know, "truths" on the internet don't always turn out to be true~