Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 276/270/160

Height: 5'4

I always panic that calorie information is inaccurate, especially when I go to restaurants.

A couple weeks ago, I went to my fave frozen yogurt shop, and decided to get a topping for my yogurt. All the toppings they have there, besides fruit or granola, are things like snickers, reeses, peppermint patties, which I didn't want. I pointed to one topping that I was curious about and asked the lady what it was, and I *think* she said 'yogurt chips' so I got those. Well, when I get outside and start eating it, I started to think that they were really white chocolate chips. I began spitting them out and picking them off the yogurt.

That is my nightmare. Eating something that I am led to believe is 'safe' and then finding out that it's not.
onherweighdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Height: 5'6"

My fear is similar to SCraver's, I started at 234, I'm around 216 right now, and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. I think about dropping the weight, and I see it go down on the scale, but they just feel like numbers, and that my body actually won't ever change in appearance.

I'm convinced that even if I weight 120lbs I would still look like I did at 234. I also don't believe that I can go below 200lbs. I mean, if I ever see 199 on the scale I don't know how I'm going to believe it's real

Anyone else feel that way?
Jelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #18  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I have the "my scale is wrong" one, too! I am seriously worried that if I get on another scale, I'm going to find mine is out by like 10 or 15 pounds, which is ridiculous, and at this point, what would it matter, anyway? I've lost all that weight, haven't I? I look pretty darn thin, yes? So why would finding out I actually weigh a bit more than my scale says freak me out? Uh, because it would, that's why.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #19  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbelle View Post
My fear is similar to SCraver's, I started at 234, I'm around 216 right now, and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything. I think about dropping the weight, and I see it go down on the scale, but they just feel like numbers, and that my body actually won't ever change in appearance.

I'm convinced that even if I weight 120lbs I would still look like I did at 234. I also don't believe that I can go below 200lbs. I mean, if I ever see 199 on the scale I don't know how I'm going to believe it's real

Anyone else feel that way?
Yes. I still feel this way. But it ISN'T true. You certainly don't notice one pound differences from day to day by you will notice 10 pound differences, especially as you get just a bit smaller. This is where pictures help tremendously.

And my body drops in a weird way...maybe others do too. I lose inches first and then I lose weight. So I will notice that I am getting smaller as the scale stays the same, but my body stays the same while the scale goes down. It's very strange.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-23-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #20  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
I have the "my scale is wrong" one, too! I am seriously worried that if I get on another scale, I'm going to find mine is out by like 10 or 15 pounds, which is ridiculous, and at this point, what would it matter, anyway? I've lost all that weight, haven't I? I look pretty darn thin, yes? So why would finding out I actually weigh a bit more than my scale says freak me out? Uh, because it would, that's why.
Catherine I have this fear too! I know that our scale is older and analog and that the scale at the doctors office weighs all of us about 5-10 lbs heavier. But I'm not sure that I can emotionally bear getting a new, more accurate scale. I just updated my weight maintenance range in my profile to more accurately reflect my current weight. This morning my scale read 130.5 which is probably at least 135.5. Are we fooling ourselves? I don't know. This whole weight thing is such a mind game. I also go round and round about the vanity sizing.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Every time I drop a size, I basically believe that it's not a REAL size. For example, I am in a 12 now, but I am getting into tens. Those tens? Not real tens. They are big, mislabeled tens. Only when every 12 is too big will iaccept the tens.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Oh yeah. I fight with serious irrational thoughts constantly. My biggest one? People who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off have something special about their brain or their mental processes. Kinda like Lance Armstrong or people like him. You either have it or you don't and few people have it. But, no one really knows if they are one of the "chosen" so we keep trying. Over and over again. Irrational? Yep.
Wow, girly girl...

That was the EXACT thought that kept me binge eating for upwards of 30 years and morbidly obese for 20.... I used to read weight loss success stories and I thought they just didn't apply to me because I had some special psychological quirk.

I wish I could tell you how to get past it-- I did not get past it until I had lost a bunch of weight and suddenly it dawned on me that, like Dorothy and her ruby slippers, maybe I had had the power inside me all along.

I have nothing special. NOTHING. I am a binge-eating, cupcake loving, candycornaholic. I have thrown away half-finished packages of double stuff oreos only to fish the package back out again. I have tossed fast food containers out the window of my car (yes, gasp, littering...) so that my family wouldn't know I ate a whole fast food meal before starting dinner. I used to worry that my cause of death would be choking on a KFC chicken bone while driving and that the EMTs would find me with grease trickling down my chin.

But in reality, I didn't have a special quirk. I just loved food, and was very entrenched in my bad habits, and I REALLY didn't want to give them up, and the rest was just a big old scaffolding of excuses. Sadly, it took my close to 30 years to figure that out.

For me, my main weird irrational thought is that I will always be overweight even if I stay on plan for the rest of my life because my body is incapable of being thin.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #23  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

I have nothing special. NOTHING. I am a binge-eating, cupcake loving, candycornaholic. I have thrown away half-finished packages of double stuff oreos only to fish the package back out again. I have tossed fast food containers out the window of my car (yes, gasp, littering...) so that my family wouldn't know I ate a whole fast food meal before starting dinner. I used to worry that my cause of death would be choking on a KFC chicken bone while driving and that the EMTs would find me with grease trickling down my chin.
Is it wrong that I found this hilarious? It's all in the writing.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-23-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Is it wrong that I found this hilarious? It's all in the writing.
LOL, yes. Hilarious in retrospect...

I love this thread. I totally have the "my scale is wrong" fear, and the "I didn't lose weight, my clothes are just looser."
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #25  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I've been enjoying this thread too...and I laughed out loud at uber's contribution!!! Saef usually does that to me, too. We have some excellent writers on the forum.

It's really, really good to read about a lot of these things as I have had most of these thoughts too. One, for me, is a game - figuring out how long it would take me to reach goal if I lost x,y,or z lbs per week. It's laid out in a spreadsheet that updates as I enter new weights. The numbers don't bind me and it's fun.

But most of the rest of it...right now I'm feeling like I'm never going to get any smaller. I'll lose pounds, but won't get any smaller. Argh.

Last edited by calluna; 10-23-2010 at 12:34 PM.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #26  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm afraid that my scale is not registering properly, because the battery is getting low.
I'm afraid to buy a new battery for the scale, because it'll show that I haven't really lost what I think I have.

I'm still irrationally surprised when smaller sizes fit me. Even more irrationally, I'm relieved when I have to buy something in a bigger size (usually buttoned tops, I genuinely have a big applebelly); it proves that I'm right, and that I'm not really losing.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #27  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

My irrational thoughts seem to fall on the other side of everyone elses spectrum. Hmmm.

1.) I think I can do this on my own
2.) I am not addicted to food/do not have a binging/compulsive overeating problem
3.) I am not an emotional eater.

These are things I am just now coming to terms with but DEFINITELY irrational in that ALL evidence has pointed to the contrary for YEARS and yet I was in total denial for a really long time.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #28  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
I have a lot of non-weight related irrational thoughts... Like if I worry about bad things happening - then they won't happen.

I always make myself think about earthquakes as I drive over any of the bridges around San Francisco based on this same "logic"
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #29  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I have tons of irrational thoughts about weight. I too would rather be 149 than 150. I see myself as larger or sometimes smaller than I actually am. I also think I can't do certain things in terms of exercise without even trying. I give these thoughts the time and attention they deserve - very little. In fact, I made it a point to do the very exercise I had an irrational thought about. Now i do it multiple times per week and actually like it. In terms of size I go by my measurements and not my head. The tape measure doesn't lie but my head can. Lol
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #30  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ha I love irrational thoughts! Whenever i see an ambulance i always say "good luck dude!" thinking when it's MY time someone will say it for me. Or I sing out loud when driving thru the underpass -- like singing will somehow stop the train from collapsing on my head LOL so hilarious!

weight-wise, I always thought irrationally that the size 3X i was buying was getting smaller, like from the manufacturer...not that i was getting BIGGER lol. But the biggest irrational thought was if "I can JUST deny myself every food pleasure in the world i'll be thin yay" ha, what a joke. Or if I never have ice cream in my house that means I'm successful eater yay! LOL as long as the entire world keeps ice cream and treats out of my way for the rest of my life, I'm fine Better still - how about they stop manufacturing them??? oh wait, you mean i have to get my sh~t in order and control myself? what the what? reality sux

but singing under an underpass just makes GOOD COMMON SENSE
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote