Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #1  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default Why is my left foot swelling up??

This is so odd. Every once in a while my left foot swells up - unilateral edema I think one might call it. It is mostly on the top of my foot near my toes and it makes my shoe press uncomfortably into my skin. I remember the first time it happened (over ten years ago). The right one never does it. It always goes back down but it is bothersome.

Last month when this happened I had just been bitten by a spider on my left ankle. I went to the doc & she said it was an allergic reaction & gave me benedryl and prednisone. I didn't think she was right and here I am again with a big fat foot (no bites in sight!)

Usually by the time I can get an appointment to see my doctor the swelling is already gone. I've checked webmd and such websites and it could be anything from a DVT, heart failure or just being fat!

Anyone else ever had this happen?
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #2  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Be persistent with your dr, YOU are your best advocate. Remind her that it happens consistently over time in the same foot (and therefore isnt a bite), and that it is troublesome and needs a new therapy plan. If she doesnt respond, find a new dr. Im sick and tired of drs acting like my problems dont matter and I should figure them out on my own thru internet research and trial and error!

And I have a thread I just posted in General Chatter about lymphatic drainage. There are some people who think that even without "disease" the lymph system can become a little lagged. This can cause water retention, difficult in weight loss (if your system cant purge the body fat and toxins that are released from your cells, it is a problem - kinda makes sense to me).

There are non-invasive treatments that help. I am exploring them myself and listed then in my other post.

Hope you get it figured out
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #3  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Awesome reply, xty!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #4  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

I used to suffer from sciatica on one side. When it was particularly bad the foot on that leg would be a bit puffier. Another thought: do you sit cross legged and always on the same side or in such a way that it puts more pressure on one side?
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote